skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Why do my candy melts dry like this?
Created On Saturday May 14, 2011 7:46 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Saturday May 14, 2011 7:46 PM
View users profile

Shouldn't it dry smooth? And I notice some of my cake pops had this look to them. The candy melts are not old and I used the wilton choc. melter to melt them down.

50 and fabulous 003.JPG 50 and fabulous 003.JPG  (85 KB)
50 and fabulous 004.JPG 50 and fabulous 004.JPG  (75 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Saturday May 14, 2011 7:55 PM

No clue--mine doesn't look like that.

Report Violation

Bottom

Bake_N_Cake
Posted: Saturday May 14, 2011 7:59 PM

I HAD to look 3 times and wonder if you are joking with us tonight. LOL

OMG I have never seen anything like it other than the old scenes from Lost In Space and we all know how creative LESS that show was! .... If you remember it!

Is this just plain candy melts or did you add something to it? It really looks like outer space movie scenes - Sorry but I am at a loss for words............. or ideas.......... or what happened to it unless water got in it or you used the wrong type of flavoring or coloring.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Saturday May 14, 2011 8:17 PM
View users profile

These are just colored candy melts...I added nothing.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Saturday May 14, 2011 8:32 PM

I strongly prefer to use Guittard A'peels candy melts (not the Wilton). Others have said that Merckens is also fabulous. Pretty much everyone agrees that the Wilton candy melts are the LAST choice. How much of this chocolate do you have? If it is just a few packages, I'd pack 'em up and return them as defective in some way.

If you were using REAL chocolate that has to be tempered, I'd guess it was something wrong with the tempering process. If you are using candy melts, the only thing I can think of is that you may have heated them too long. With that said, when my candy melts "seized" because I overcooked them in the microwave, they got hard, cottage-cheese texture where the candy melts burned, it did not look like yours.

Another question Chrystal--have you used your Fat Daddios topsy turvy pans yet?

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Saturday May 14, 2011 8:35 PM

I agree about the Merckens. And inquiring minds are also curious about the tipsy turvy pans

Report Violation

Bottom

dittomom
Posted: Sunday May 15, 2011 6:01 PM

Merckens is all I will ever use!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday May 15, 2011 7:21 PM

Oh WOW! Never seen candy melts do that. They almost look like they are bad wafers. You stated they weren't old??????? Boy, if it was me I would try Merkens and see if they react the same.

Does this always happen? Does it just happen on certain colors for you? Were they colored wafers or did you attempt to color them yourself and it seized on you? Did you get water and/or steam near your melting pot?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Sunday May 15, 2011 7:27 PM
View users profile

These are just colored candy melts nothing added. I was not near any water or steam. They were pink, blue and yellow...all three colors did this...

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday May 15, 2011 7:30 PM

Try some Merkens or Guittard melts and see if they do the same for you. If they do then it might be your climate out in Vegas. I dunno????? Grabbing at straws here if all of the above obvious questions were answered NO by you already.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Sunday May 15, 2011 7:33 PM
View users profile

I don't know either. This didn't happen with my premium choc or premium white choc. Just the colored ones...I wonder if I should take the other bags back? Maybe Wilton is not a very good brand...too cheap??? Sorry Wilton.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday May 15, 2011 7:36 PM

I'd take them back. Maybe something happened in production. Might be worth a shot to give Wilton a call to see if something funky went on the day they were produced. It happens.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Sunday May 15, 2011 10:04 PM

Chrystal, if they are colored Wilton melts, send the photos to Wilton and return them to the store.

I've only done basic chocolate work (http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/216), but I did make about 30 lbs. of chocolate bark and molded chocolates last Christmas. I have a lot of Wilton product that I foolishly bought before I knew better, so I get rid of them by sticking the unmelted discs on gingerbread houses, cookies, and in frosting as decorations). Even if I add a LOT of Paramount Crystals, they NEVER melt correctly.

I took my first candy class, Wilton, from an inexperienced WMI and nothing she used in class worked right--nothing--because she HAD to use ONLY Wilton products. I later took a beginning candy class from Kathleen Lange, a VERY experienced 30+ year decorator, and she was able to use whatever she wanted and there were virtually no Wilton candy products in her class. She used Guittard A'Peels which melt perfectly and taste great (Both Kathleen and I can purchase Guittard at wholesale here in San Diego.) I haven't tried the Merckens colored candy melts, but everyone raves about the quality. I advise every newbie: Do NOT buy Wilton candy melts if you have a choice, it is worth the extra money to buy Merckens or Guittard.

Report Violation

Bottom

inanity09
Posted: Monday May 16, 2011 9:15 PM

I'm just curious what is so bad about the Wilton melts? I just tried using them for the first time to make modeling chocolate and did not seem to have any problem. Do they not melt as well or not taste as good as the other brands?

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Monday May 16, 2011 11:39 PM

I personally think Merckens tastes 100 times better. Sorry Wilton!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Monday May 16, 2011 11:57 PM

inanity09, The Wilton melts are usable and taste ok, but once you've tried working with Guittard or Merckens, you won't want to use the Wilton products any more. The Wilton candy melts do not seem to melt correctly. When warmed to melting temperature candy melts should flow off the spoon like pancake batter. Guittard/Merckens "flow" properly without the addition of additional Crisco or Paramount Crystals needed to thin the chocolate.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: