skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How to make fondant like tissue paper
Created On Thursday May 12, 2011 11:40 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

zinger60
Posted: Thursday May 12, 2011 11:40 AM

I am wanting to make a cake like a partially opened gift box but not sure how to make the tissue paper. I have heard of people using a pasta roller to roll it really thin but I don't have one. Can it be done that thin with a rolling pin? Do I need to use 50/50 fondant and gumpaste or all gumpaste? I would like it to be somewhat soft so it can be eaten but not sure if it will hold it's shape if it is like that. Do you make them in big sheets or small ones and what's the best way to dry them so that they actually look like tissue paper?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Thursday May 12, 2011 11:50 AM
View users profile

Yes, you can do it with a rolling pin, it's just gonna take you longer. I run my fondant through my pasta roller until it's super thin, then cut it into square-ish shapes, no need for perfection and then I apply to the cake and let it dry right on the cake. Some people let it dry on crumpled plastic wrap, but I prefer to be able to manipulate the shape of my "tissue" on the cake, if it's dried already, the way it dries is the shape you're stuck with. I use straight fondant, because it's so thin it dries just fine without mixing it with gum paste or using tylose powder. The thinner it is, the more realistic it looks.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Thursday May 12, 2011 11:51 AM
View users profile

zinger60, I know I have seen a similar cake in Life Celebrations..possibly done by cakesbychrystal.. .. .I would assume you just roll the fondant as thin as you are able to handle it, let it dry for a short while and then add to the gift box. Since it is going to look like tissue paper the pieces don't have to be that large.
Using a 50/50 mix will probably make it to firm and not drape properly and taste a bit funny..
Good luck on your search..
ginnyl~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

zinger60
Posted: Thursday May 12, 2011 12:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. If I make the cake to have it look like it has a lid that is partially open, is the best way to do that by making the lid out of RKT covered with fondant? I'm not sure that a thin cake would not crack but then I guess I could set that cake on cardboard and cover the whole thing in fondant. What do you think?

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Thursday May 12, 2011 12:46 PM

That is what I would do...have a thin cake on a cake board and cover all the way around in fondant. That would be easier (for me) to get smooth, unlike RKT. But the RKT would be potentially lighter!

You can hide a dowel supporting the open lid among your fondant tissue paper. Maybe cover it in the same color as the tissue.

Report Violation

Bottom

zinger60
Posted: Thursday May 12, 2011 12:49 PM

chasey,
that's a great idea about using the dowel. I wasn't sure how I was going to hold up the lid. The last time I used RKT for a project, I ran them through the food processor for a short time so after I added the marshmallows, it turned out alot smoother when I put fondant over it.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday May 12, 2011 1:14 PM

The pasta roller would be the answer to getting it an even thickness and paper thin. I agree with Chrystal to drape it right on the cake. That way it will form to the cake in the shape you want it too.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: