skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: SUGAR GLAZED CAKE BALLS.... HELP
Created On Friday May 06, 2011 11:13 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

TBCALE
Posted: Friday May 06, 2011 11:13 PM

Has anybody ever used sugar glaze to coat their cake balls? If so how did they turn out? My sons school is having their end of the year school fair and he pretty much wore me down and I agreed to make cupcakes and/or cake balls. Any advise would be welcomed and appreciated. I am doing Key Lime Pie cupcakes or balls and Pink Lemonade cupcake or balls.

HAVE A SWEET DAY.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday May 07, 2011 4:18 PM
View users profile

Have not done a sugar glaze but did find a recipe in the new book I just received with my BabyCakes cake pop book..the make a glaze of : 1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 to 2 1/2 teablespoons hot water
Combine melted butter with confectioners sugar, stirring until wel blended
Stir in Vanilla
Blend in 2 tablespoons hot watrer and stir until smooth
Add a little of the remaining hot water, if needed, to make a thing glaze consistency
Hope this works for you.
ginnyl~~~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

char-lee
Posted: Saturday May 07, 2011 4:38 PM
View users profile

Ginny,
did you never make a bundt cake with glaze when they were all the rage? fess up

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday May 07, 2011 4:52 PM
View users profile

well, now that you mention it I think I did, but then I am well along in years and have forgotten some things. LOL..Still hoping to see you at Friend Fest...
ginnyl~~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

TBCALE
Posted: Saturday May 07, 2011 9:35 PM

Thank you ginnyl. I am going to do a test run on it either tomarrow or Monday. I think I am going to cover them with graham cracker crumbs. Kindof like the crust of a key lime pie. I will post pics. I have 3 volunteers for taste testing and they are brutal when it comes to letting me know what they think is lacking or over powering. Thanks again ginnyl. As always appreciated.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday May 07, 2011 10:06 PM
View users profile

No problem..any time
ginnyl~~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

TBCALE
Posted: Monday May 09, 2011 1:24 PM

Ok. Cake balls are done and I sent them to work with my boyfriend. His co-workers are my guinea pigs. Here are some pics.

CHOC. DRIZZLED GRAHAM CRACKER CRUSTED KEY LIME CAKE BALLS 001 (160x104).jpg CHOC. DRIZZLED GRAHAM CRACKER CRUSTED KEY LIME CAKE BALLS 001 (160x104).jpg  (55 KB)
CHOC. DRIZZLED GRAHAM CRACKER CRUSTED KEY LIME CAKE BALLS 002 (160x104).jpg CHOC. DRIZZLED GRAHAM CRACKER CRUSTED KEY LIME CAKE BALLS 002 (160x104).jpg  (51 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

TBCALE
Posted: Monday May 09, 2011 1:25 PM

Sorry if one of the pics is small. I am still getting used to resizing pics for the forum.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakediva wannabe
Posted: Monday May 09, 2011 1:28 PM
View users profile

Those look awesome and sound yummy! How did you "crust them in graham crackers"?

Report Violation

Bottom

TBCALE
Posted: Monday May 09, 2011 3:49 PM

I used the recipe that ginnyl posted for sugar glaze. I dipped them in the glaze and then I rolled them in a graham cracker crust crumb. I bought the kind that is already crumbled. I used the Keebler brand. I cant wait for my boyfriend to get home so I can find out what his co-workers said. I got the cake recipe out of a book called THE CUPCAKE BIBLE.

Report Violation

Bottom

TBCALE
Posted: Tuesday May 10, 2011 8:30 AM

I got my feedback last night and the only compalint was the size. Te cake balls needed to be smaller. Other then that it was all good.

Report Violation

Bottom

TBCALE
Posted: Friday May 13, 2011 4:01 PM

OK. I got the final cake balls and cupcakes done for the bake sale at my sons school. Here are the final pics. I made the ones for the bake sale smaller then I did for my guinea pigs at my boyfriends office. The pink cupcake is a pink lemonade cupcake with pink lemonade bc. I put fondant flowers on the top. I used a 1m tip and went from the inside out.

CARLTONS BAKE SALE 2011 003 (100x150).jpg CARLTONS BAKE SALE 2011 003 (100x150).jpg  (41 KB)
CARLTONS BAKE SALE 2011 009 (150x100).jpg CARLTONS BAKE SALE 2011 009 (150x100).jpg  (50 KB)
KEY LIME PIE CAKE BALLS. FINAL 006 (150x100).jpg KEY LIME PIE CAKE BALLS. FINAL 006 (150x100).jpg  (21 KB)
KEY LIME PIE CAKE BALLS. FINAL 009 (150x100).jpg KEY LIME PIE CAKE BALLS. FINAL 009 (150x100).jpg  (21 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Friday May 13, 2011 4:54 PM
View users profile

TBCALE, glad the glaze recipe worked well for you and liked the bake sale photos...
Have you tried the new machine that is out, BabyCakes cake pops..
It makes 12 at a time..So easy to use, pour in the batter, close the lid, and 6 minutes later you have a cake pop..nice size tastes great,,,Got mine (3) on line, but know they are available at Kohls..
ginnyl~~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

TBCALE
Posted: Friday May 13, 2011 5:28 PM

ginnyl.....No I haven't got one yet. I got a little stupid when my boyfriend asked me what I wanted for mothers day. I told him about it but then I said its not something I need at this time. Trust me by the time I was done with the cake balls I was kicking myself in the rear. I do plan on getting at least 2 in the near future because I am not doing that again. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE RECIPE!!!!!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Friday May 13, 2011 5:41 PM
View users profile

Any time..and you will love the babycakes machine..In face when I made them my grandson popped a few in the microwave, warmed them up and poured syrup on them...a pop breakfast...he loved them..
ginnyl~~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

ketkoota
Posted: Tuesday March 13, 2012 9:43 PM

I followed this recipe but after adding a bit of food coloring, found it way way too watery. If you are adding standard water based food coloring (which you can do since this recipe does not contain chocolate), you probably want to go with only 1 tablespoon of water. The first batch I did had glaze dripping all the way down the sticks. The second batch though, with only one tablespoon water, was perfect! The glaze was much more opaque and it stayed on the cake pop without dribbling. You do have to work fairly fast though since the glaze starts to solidify if you dilly dally! I was able to use up almost all the glaze before it seized up on me too much, but I also took about a 7 minute break to prepare another cake pop stand.

Report Violation

Bottom

ketkoota
Posted: Tuesday March 13, 2012 9:44 PM

Oh! And if you want to add sprinkles or sugar crystals to the tops of these, wait a minute, but not too long. Too soon and they sink into the glaze too much, too long and they don't stick. I usually go back and add sprinkles every 2-3 cake pops.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: