skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How to store a cake with an edible photo on it
Created On Saturday April 23, 2011 7:01 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

coldfish
Posted: Saturday April 23, 2011 7:01 AM

Hi, next weekend I am doing a family reunion cake for our family that will have a photo on it. I have already got the photo printed on a frosting sheet from a cake store and it is being stored in a plastic bag until I put it on the cake.

My cake will be covered in fondant, and I've read that it is best to apply photos to fondant when the fondant is still fresh, before it has that dried out skin on it, so the photo sticks/melts into the fondant. I'm wanting to cover my cake a day before the event, but my cake is chocolate with a mock cream filling and I'd prefer to keep it in the fridge (it doesn't have real cream in the filling but I think it will keep better if it has been chilled).

So my question is is it ok to put the edible photo on the cake when I cover it in fondant and then keep it refrigerated for 24-36 hours? Will it cause the photo to go blurry or colours to run? Instructions say to make sure the photo is kept in the package until used and to make sure no moisture gets on it, but I haven't seen any details about after putting it on the cake other than to not touch it.

If I can't fridge a photo then is the only option to cover the cake with fondant a day ahead, and then on the day quickly dampen the fondant and put the photo on shortly before serving?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday April 23, 2011 8:47 AM
View users profile

coldfish, when I do edible images on fondant covered cakes I usually do it a day ahead or possibly the day of the event.
Fondant does not like to be in the fridge..it sweats and can get soft...can ruin your design.

If at all possible and if the filling allows and you have the time..do everything that day...
I have put the fondant on and the edible image on the day before and the cake sat on the counter with no problem.
If you want to wait on the image, yes you can "slightly" dampen the top of the fondant and add the image..
Hope this helps.
ginnyl~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

coldfish
Posted: Saturday April 23, 2011 3:03 PM

Thanks for your advice. If I shouldn't fridge fondant I could still fill and ganche the cake the day ahead and keep that chilled? Is it possible to fondant a cake straight from the fridge or do I have to let it warm up to room temperature anyhow?
The cake is needed by 9-10am on Sat and realistically I can't see myself getting up at 6am, especially when I have a toddler who could possibly be sticking their sticky fingers into everything (I loved the 'How to bake a cake' thread ). So maybe the best option is to work late Fri night and simply leave the cake out at room temperature?
Thanks
Debbie

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday April 23, 2011 3:33 PM
View users profile

I am not too familiar with leaving ganache covered cakes out..but I would imagine by the time you prepare your fondant and get it rolled out the chill should by off your cake...let me know how it goes..
ginnyl~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

coldfish
Posted: Sunday April 24, 2011 6:04 AM

Hello again,
I'm going to have to revisit my entire cake plan because I just did trial run on a 3 layer chocolate gateaux style cake I was going to do and it was such a disaster. It went wrong in so many ways that I don't have the time or space to list them all! Just as well I tested it out now instead of the day before our reunion.

So to be on the safe side I'm going to do a classic butter/pound cake instead and instead of a creamy filling just have a chocolate buttercream. I'm considering ditching fondant altogether and simply having a nicely buttercreamed icing.

Is it possible to put edible photos on buttercream or does the fat content leak through? The cake shop I bought it from didn't recommend it, they recommended fondant. Has anyone successfully added a photo to buttercream?

If it's not an option, how do you think adding a thin layer of fondant on top of the buttercream, the size of the photo would go?
Thanks again

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Sunday April 24, 2011 10:51 AM
View users profile

coldfish, sorry about your cake, but better now then later as you say..
I have used edible images on both buttercream and fondant..When I use buttercream I put the image on the same day if possible...and your idea of a piece of fondant on top of the buttercream and under the image would work too.
You could even make the fondant in a pretty shape to accent the picture..
ginnyl~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

karen
Posted: Thursday April 28, 2011 12:44 AM

I have put edible images on my buttercream cakes up to 2 days before and then refrigerated them. No problem. HINT: before putting the image on your cake, pop the image in the freezer (laying it flat of course) for 1 min. It will pop right of the backing sheet!!! The bakery who makes my images gave me this hint.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Thursday April 28, 2011 4:03 PM
View users profile

Great idea karen, thanks..
ginnyl~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Thursday April 28, 2011 4:08 PM
View users profile

Great idea karen, thanks..
ginnyl~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Thursday April 28, 2011 4:09 PM
View users profile

there goes those sticky fingers..too much buttercream..LOL Sorry
ginnyl~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

char-lee
Posted: Thursday April 28, 2011 4:17 PM
View users profile

Codfish,
You are using white buttercream icing under the image? Just curious

Report Violation

Bottom

coldfish
Posted: Friday April 29, 2011 2:27 AM

Hi I'm just in the process of decorating the cake for tomorrow. The cake is almost finished and I'll post a pic of it tomorrow. It has turned out easier than I expected.. this is the first edible image I've used so I didn't know how fragile it would be but it is more robust than I expected.

My bottom cake is pound with a small coating of chocolate buttercream and covered in chocolate fondant, and my top tier is chocolate mud cake with chocolate buttercream and chocolate fondant again. I'd heard that dark fondant can show through the image so I rolled out a thin round of white fondant the same size as the image and placed that on top of the chocolate fondant, and then put the image on that.

Originally I was going to be fancy and cut a hole out of the chocolate fondant and replace it with white fondant where the image would be so the icing would all be the same level, but I was worried that it might be more effort than is warranted and I'm short on time and energy . So the image is a couple of mls up higher than the cake, but I've piped tiny chocolate buttercream dots around to frame the image.

I'm hoping my family will be most pleased. Pics to come soon, thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

coldfish
Posted: Saturday April 30, 2011 1:34 AM

Here are some pics of my cake. I was up until 1am finishing it and then decided to redo the ribbon fondant this morning at 8am before the reunion that started at 10am! But got there in the end and everyone was wowed at the photo and the cake in general. There were a few flaws in the cake (would never enter it in a competition hahah)but it was a great learning experience and general family they were most impressed. The photo was far easier to handle than I expected. Thanks for looking

IMG_5837_7706.jpg IMG_5837_7706.jpg  (127 KB)
IMG_5838_7707.jpg IMG_5838_7707.jpg  (91 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday April 30, 2011 3:36 PM
View users profile

coldfish, spectacular cake and flowers...just love the edible image..thanks for sharing.
ginnyl~~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

karen
Posted: Sunday May 01, 2011 9:13 PM

Great job!!!! I'm very impressed with your work. As always, we are too hard on ourselves.

Report Violation

Bottom

TracyBB
Posted: Saturday December 15, 2012 4:02 AM
View users profile

Coldfish, Your cake looks amazing. I loved the edible image
- it's so original .

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: