skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: can white choc. almond bark not be colored?
Created On Friday April 22, 2011 10:28 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

tildastreasures
Posted: Friday April 22, 2011 10:28 AM

i tried to color white chocolate almond bark yellow for my cake balls and almost as soon as i added the color it turned to almost a playdoh texture. is there any way i can fix this or did i just waste the stuff?

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Friday April 22, 2011 10:57 AM
View users profile

Don't know how to fix it but you have to use the right colors to add to candy. I don't think Wilton's gel pastes will work. There are others that work more with candies that will tell you better.

Report Violation

Bottom

luvbakin
Posted: Friday April 22, 2011 11:03 AM
View users profile

Tilda what did you color it with and how much did you use....color per amount of bark?

If it turned into a playdoh texture sounds like you may be able to use it to make roses.....like with modeling chocolate.

Report Violation

Bottom

tildastreasures
Posted: Friday April 22, 2011 11:26 AM

i used 4 chunks of the bark, and i used a dot of the golden yellow wilton paste and realized OH SHOOT that isnt yellow. then i used a squirt of McCormick jel color dont know how much. Enough to make it a lemon yellow.

i dont think its quite thick enough to mold.

Report Violation

Bottom

BlackWidowNor
Posted: Friday April 22, 2011 2:08 PM
View users profile

Gel color is water based - and water/moisture of any kind will seize chocolate, rendering it almost unusable for anything but baking. It is not suitable for modeling chocolate.

You might want to add some shortening to it to see if you can get it past that seized state. It might work, but don't add too much shortening.

Report Violation

Bottom

tildastreasures
Posted: Friday April 22, 2011 4:50 PM

OH SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!! i never thought about that! dang it! thats what happened! i should have known that. oh well.

is there any way to get it colored?

Report Violation

Bottom

Grnymac
Posted: Friday April 22, 2011 4:53 PM

Here's what I use when I'm making mints and use almond bark for drizzling - I add a few wilton colored candy chips - just a few at a time until I get the color that I want. Sometimes I will even mix colors if I don't have the right color. I'd try that if you really want a candy / chocolate texture.

Report Violation

Bottom

Grnymac
Posted: Friday April 22, 2011 4:55 PM

The official name is wilton candy melts !!

Report Violation

Bottom

tildastreasures
Posted: Friday April 22, 2011 4:56 PM

i was trying to avoid buying anything else. i have spent a fortune the past month on cake stuff. i may just melt the white and do easter egg shapes and decorate them like easter eggs instead of the chicks. that way i dont have to worry about the chocolate getting icky

Report Violation

Bottom

tildastreasures
Posted: Friday April 22, 2011 6:04 PM

i knew what you were talking about

Report Violation

Bottom

muppetmama
Posted: Friday April 22, 2011 7:36 PM

Wilton and Americolor do both make candy coloring.

Sometimes a little bit of vegetable oil will fix the siezing just like the shortening.

Report Violation

Bottom

JnellH
Posted: Tuesday December 18, 2012 2:04 PM

I have had issues with this as well. I was told to add crisco. It worked for me. Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday December 18, 2012 3:12 PM
View users profile

Welcome to the forum, JnellH. Americolor also makes Flo-Coat which allows you to safely use gel colors with chocolate. And let's not forget powdered food colors! You can use those with chocolate too.

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Wednesday December 19, 2012 12:57 AM
View users profile

I just finished making cosmetics for a cake using white chocolate and black candy melts (will post pics soon). I used my wilton gel colors for everything without any problems. I don't know about almond bark but the gels work for me with the chocolate and the candy melts (they melted a grey color and I wanted black so I added black gel). I assume you were trying to make a thinner chocolate to coat the balls with and if that's the case then you have to add cream or oil to thin the chocolate out. I think that if you rewarmed the chocolate and added some cream it'll be ok. HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Wednesday December 19, 2012 7:56 AM
View users profile

I haven't had problems using gel colors either, but they CAN cause problems. I've just been lucky. JnellH and some others haven't been lucky. The original post goes back to April of 2011. Now anyone else who hasn't been lucky and has done a search for answers and found this thread, has a variety of solutions to try.

Report Violation

Bottom

Milesoflove1011
Posted: Tuesday November 05, 2013 9:01 AM

Yes, you can color almond bark using the gel. I had to think outside of the box, and decided to color the coconut oil, then introduce it to the almond bark. If you are not familiar with coconut oil, it is the greatest stuff ever. I heated it to almost liquid form then whipped in the gel coloring, then stirred it into the almond bark, and got this vibrant yellow hue. I attached the picture to show you ;)

Bad news, it's too large of a file, and I am not at a point to change the size.

It works, Ive got 25+ years working with food and candy coating kills me every time . . .

Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday November 05, 2013 10:30 AM
View users profile

Milesoflove1011, welcome to the forum! How nice that you found this old thread to add your chocolate expertise to! You must have had to look deep to find it, lol.

Report Violation

Bottom

Milesoflove1011
Posted: Tuesday November 05, 2013 2:20 PM

I found this forum by searching for an answer, then I figured I would pass on the experiment results. I have a friend who bakes professionally, and refuses to go any darker than a pastel, but I just succeeded with yellow in the shade of egg yolks ;-)

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday November 05, 2013 7:10 PM
View users profile

We appreciate your sharing and hope that you'll share more of your knowledge with us.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: