skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: How long to sit after crumb coating?
lily2521 04/01/2011 12:31 PM
So here's my cake timeline;

Making fondant tonight to refrigerate overnight for use tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning - bake! I have 2 cakes to be baked, I'm guessing 2 hours for this as one is a 12" and will take at least an hour - the other is an 8"
Let cakes cool and crumb coat.
I need to roll the fondant and decorate the cakes tomorrow also - I'm not sure how much time to leave between crumb coating and putting on my fondant?

Or...am I better off baking tonight and letting them sit overnight?

Thanks!
Mikel79 04/01/2011 12:51 PM
I like for my cakes to sit overnight. This will allow your cake to settle and helps prevents the cake bulge after you apply the fondant.

I usually wait about 20 minutes after crumbcoating...

HTH

Michael
lily2521 04/01/2011 1:00 PM
Thanks Mike -

so if I bake it tonight to let it sit, and work on it tomorrow, I'm assuming I should just leave it out at room temp - should I cover it with something to prevent it from hardening?

I don't have anything to cover the cake with or to put it in because this is my first time doing a 12" cake and I just don't have anything that large.
Mikel79 04/01/2011 1:04 PM
I cover mine in food safe plastic bags. You can get them at restaurant supply stores online. I don't think that is going to help you know. =( Maybe Publix or Kroger Bakery might have some. Give them a call...

Not sure what you can cover it in?? If you have a cake box, place it in that for now.

Michael
ginnyl 04/01/2011 3:19 PM
Lily2521...I usually bake one day, let cake rest overnight..covered with tea towel and it will not get hard sitting overnight..
the next morning I then crumb coat..it can sit while I roll out the fondant
the crumb coat will probably be crusted by then and you will have to add more buttercream to give the fondant something to grab on to..
After I make my fondant, usually several days before,I donot refrigerate it..I wrap it well and put it in a cabinet or the back of the counter to rest...
In any case, welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes,,
ginnyl~~~~