skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Buttercream left out of refrigerator to soften
Created On Thursday March 24, 2011 10:23 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

karen
Posted: Thursday March 24, 2011 10:23 PM

I know that a buttercream cake (with non perishable filling) can be left out for up to 3 days.
My question is: I'll be icing my cake at 8pm. I work and don't get home til 6. It takes awhile for the icing to softener before using. Could I leave it out on my counter when I leave for work (7:30 am)? My house is on the cool side - about 65 deg. during the day. What do you think??? It would sure save me time. I've already lugged my icing to work with me, put it in the refrigerator there, and then taken it out around 2-3 to soften. I just don't feel like taking all this icing to work with me. Any thoughts on this ladies???

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Thursday March 24, 2011 10:36 PM

I can't see any harm in it. I would do it in a heartbeat.

Report Violation

Bottom

denetteb
Posted: Thursday March 24, 2011 11:23 PM
View users profile

It will be fine. It doesn't matter whether the icing is on the cake or off.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Thursday March 24, 2011 11:50 PM
View users profile

ditto

Report Violation

Bottom

baura_l
Posted: Friday March 25, 2011 12:52 AM

I usually am lazy to get my icing soft hours ahead of time at home I just remix in the mixer, for a good long while and it softens the chunks of butter and or shortening

Report Violation

Bottom

laura ann
Posted: Friday March 25, 2011 2:15 PM

Butter can last up to ten day at room temprature. I even have a butter saver that keeps the butter in the lid, add salt and fresh water to the bottom of the container, and this stays on my counter for at least two weeks at a time. I'v never had a problem.

Report Violation

Bottom

sassygrass~sweets
Posted: Friday March 25, 2011 4:24 PM

laura can you tell me where you got the butter saver??? can you post a picture of it???

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Friday March 25, 2011 5:25 PM
View users profile

Laura, interesting concept..would love more information..
ginnyl~~

Report Violation

Bottom

laura ann
Posted: Friday March 25, 2011 9:46 PM

Here's the pictures My husband helped me. I got these containers from Blue Rose Pottery. These came from Poland. I have three. He suggested I get that many, since we have two boys, and he isn't exactly graceful LOL! This is a centuries old method. You can fit up to 2 sticks of butter in one lid ( The one shown, at least). Add water and salt to the bottom (I like to use kosher salt). Salt acts as a preservative; since the butter I use is unsalted. If you use unsalted butter, and do not add salt to the bottom, it can spoil and mold can develop. By placing water in the bottom, this acts as a seal to the butter.
If you use salted butter, adding the salt to the water is not necessary.

I hope this helps!

Have a good night,

Laura Ann

DSC00646.JPG DSC00646.JPG  (59 KB)
DSC00647.JPG DSC00647.JPG  (47 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

laura ann
Posted: Friday March 25, 2011 9:47 PM

Sorry, I'm tired, they're dishwasher safe!!! WOO HOO!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

denetteb
Posted: Friday March 25, 2011 10:26 PM
View users profile

They are often called butter bells. If you google them a bunch of info shows up.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday March 26, 2011 5:06 PM
View users profile

laura ann and denetteb thank you for the info and pictures..quite interesting and will look into them
ginny~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

denetteb
Posted: Saturday March 26, 2011 9:08 PM
View users profile

I have often thought about getting a butter bell cause they look so cute. However growing up and now as an adult we keep butter in a rubbermaid butter container at room temp because cold butter just doesn't spread. It sits there till it is gone. Since it is just my hubby and me I usually put out a half a stick at a time. It is always just fine, sssshhhhhh....don't tell the food police. I store my butter in the fridge or freezer and use that for cooking and baking.

Report Violation

Bottom

laura ann
Posted: Sunday March 27, 2011 6:04 PM

Anytime, ginnyl. Yes, it's called a butterbell. I forgot the proper name Thanks, denetteb.

Report Violation

Bottom

karen
Posted: Tuesday March 29, 2011 11:25 PM

Thanks for the comments. I did it. I took it out before leaving for work. It was a pleasure to get home and be able to start my cake instead of having to let the icing warm up and come to decorating consistency. I didn't poison anyone!!! HaHa Of course, this will only work in the Winter or cool weather. I wouldn't dream of doing it in the Summer but at least I know it is doable.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: