skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Buttercream Icing with butter, no almond extract and that is truly white?
Created On Wednesday March 23, 2011 11:34 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

shakeandbakebaby
Posted: Wednesday March 23, 2011 11:34 AM

Hi all,

Please forgive me if this is already posted somewhere on these boards. I'm new at this.

I'm looking for a buttercream icing recipe that will crust well, and uses butter + shortening, and will actually be white rather beige? How do you accomplish this?

Also, I made an icing before with a little almond flavoring and didn't particularly care for it. Can I just omit it? Can I just substitute with more vanilla or butter flavoring?

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Wednesday March 23, 2011 12:44 PM

Welcome to the forums!! The recipe that I absolutely love is Bunnywoman's Butter Cream. It gets pretty darn white and is half shortening half butter. Here is the link to her recipe: http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=132579 it is the best BC I have ever tasted!! You can get white butter cream with butter if you beat it on a high speed for about 7 minutes, the shortening and the butter combine and it gets quite white. With any flavoring combination you can omit any one of them and add more of the flavoring that you like. I don't like almond flavoring either so I just add more vanilla and it turns out fine!! I hope this helps you!!

Report Violation

Bottom

shakeandbakebaby
Posted: Wednesday March 23, 2011 1:32 PM

Thank you so much!!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday March 23, 2011 7:42 PM

I agree with Pony 100%

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Wednesday March 23, 2011 7:55 PM

Be- is your Buttercream a crusting recipe, as is? I.e.- no Meringue powder needs to be added?

Thanks!
Erin

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday March 23, 2011 8:03 PM

Yes it is a crusting recipe. Just an FYI......Meringue powder does not make it crust.

BW

Report Violation

Bottom

confectionscc
Posted: Thursday March 24, 2011 11:00 AM
View users profile

Bunnywoman, do we have to use the salt? I like my icing to stay sweet, and this one will be much cheaper! (im using one with meringue powder) How stable is it? With no meringue powder I am afraid! I live in South MS, the weather is harsh on BC!

Report Violation

Bottom

confectionscc
Posted: Thursday March 24, 2011 11:05 AM
View users profile

Oh, and BW, what would happen if I used all high ratio shortening, instead of half butter?? Just curious!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: