skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How long can I keep homemade buttercream in the fridge?
Created On Tuesday March 22, 2011 6:03 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

MissMurphy
Posted: Tuesday March 22, 2011 6:03 PM

I made several batches of Wilton recipe buttercream icing using shortening. I am wondering how long I can keep the icing in the fridge? Anyone know????? Many thanks in advance......

Report Violation

Bottom

tlh
Posted: Tuesday March 22, 2011 7:06 PM

My Wilton instructor told me it would last 3 days in the fridge if you made it with milk, and 5-7 days in fridge if made with water.

Report Violation

Bottom

LouE
Posted: Tuesday March 22, 2011 7:39 PM

Whats the recipe for this? i only use 1 part butter and 1 part icing (powdered) and some vanilla.

Also i saw on ace of cakes they whipped up egg whites then added butter to it? does that sound right?

Report Violation

Bottom

xina19
Posted: Tuesday March 22, 2011 8:03 PM

The wilton classroom buttercream can go in the freezer for a couple of weeks as well. Between the crisco and the powdered sugar, it is pretty stable even at room temperature for a few days if you didn't use milk. We would save the classroom buttercream from one week to the next when I was taking the courses last year.

LouE: When they whip up egg whites and then add the butter that is generally swiss meringue buttercream. This is fine in the fridge for a week, but not something you can leave out at room temperature. Usually you dissolve granulated sugar in the eggwhites, whip until its almost stiff but definitely very sticky, then add the butter. This is the ultimate buttercream in my opinion - literally a 'smooth as butter' texture. (Italian meringue buttercream is very similar, it just has a different order to whipping the egg whites and dissolving the sugar.)

Report Violation

Bottom

LesaVaughn
Posted: Tuesday March 22, 2011 11:12 PM

2 weeks for Wilton buttercream. with egg whites, I agree a week or even less.

Report Violation

Bottom

LouE
Posted: Wednesday March 23, 2011 3:29 AM

Hmmm, i dont know if you can use raw egg whites here?

Report Violation

Bottom

MissMurphy
Posted: Wednesday March 23, 2011 7:08 AM

Thank you kindly everyone. I made it for the course and I want to use the remainder this week after making it for class last week.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: