skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: icing won't stick to cake?!
Created On Saturday March 19, 2011 1:32 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

coachjorb
Posted: Saturday March 19, 2011 1:32 AM

I'm making a cake and using the icing recipe from the America's Celebration Cake located on this site. My problem is that the icing won't stick to my cake at all. It falls off in clumps every time I try to put it on and spread it. What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this? Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Saturday March 19, 2011 7:52 AM

How are you applying it? With a spatula or tip 789? Really press against the cake surface for it to adhere.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Saturday March 19, 2011 8:21 AM

also, sometimes I find when my frosting is too thick I have that problem. Try thinning it out and see what happens.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Saturday March 19, 2011 12:18 PM

coachjorb, welcome to the forum. You don't have the frosting thinned enough, just like sweetgrandma suggested. I looked at the recipe/instructions for that cake. Just add a 1/2 teaspoon of milk and beat then check. Repeat as needed to get the frosting to the correct spreading consistency. Do NOT add more than a 1/2 tsp at a time or you will make it too runny. Sorry, but you've got to thin a little bit at a time, be patient.

Sounds delicious!

Report Violation

Bottom

coachjorb
Posted: Monday March 21, 2011 12:10 PM

I was using a spatula and it just kept getting worse and worse as I used it (the icing). It was like a greasy play dough. I was terrified of getting it too thin because that's what I did to my last batch. So I guess my question is how do I know when my icing is "just right"? I'm really new at this, as I'm sure you can tell, and I'm basically teaching myself. I'm not discouraged or anything but I seem to really be challenged by this one. Thank you all so much for all of your help. The support really means a lot!

Report Violation

Bottom

coachjorb
Posted: Monday March 21, 2011 12:14 PM

Oh, another question: I use the cake release and my cakes come out smooth I was wondering if the surface texture of the cake has anything to do with this either? Any thoughts?

Report Violation

Bottom

xina19
Posted: Monday March 21, 2011 12:23 PM

Like whoknew? said, you really have to try 1/2 tsp of milk at a time. I know that the icing not sticking happened to me with my first batch of buttercream too and I only needed an extra 1/2 tsp of water (for 3 cups of bc). It makes a huge difference. You could test with the spatula before putting it in the bag if you are using the icing tip. I used to get so frustrated with my instructor saying you would just 'feel' it when it was right because I am a very precise person and like things to be exact, but she and others here are right. You'll know it when you test it. Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

luvbakin
Posted: Monday March 21, 2011 1:31 PM
View users profile

Welcome Coach - You want your cake's to come out smooth...they are easier to ice!

If you keep having trouble with this BC recipe you can always try another. Bunnywoman has an excellent crusting BC recipe. I tried it and now use it exclusively!

Whoknew posted the link in her other post to you!

Report Violation

Bottom

Julia G
Posted: Tuesday March 22, 2011 6:58 PM

Your icing is too dry, thick. It's needs to have more liquid added, a little at a time. When it's dry like that, it will not stick to your cake.

Julia

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: