skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Just found out I can sell cakes legally from my home kitchen!!!
Created On Tuesday March 15, 2011 2:03 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

zinger60
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 2:03 PM

I have been looking around the internet trying to find out what the laws are in Indiana for making and selling products from my home kitchen but have been getting conflicting answers on the details of it. I finally went down to the county health department and the woman there was so nice and took us through all the details of the law. I am so excited to finally be able to bake and sell all kinds of items. I am going to get some business cards made up and a Facebook Page set up for my cakes. I am also going to sell at flea markets and farmer's markets this summer.

Report Violation

Bottom

kakesbyk
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 2:17 PM

WOO HOOO!! How AWESOME is that! I am so happy for you! WAY COOL!
~Kathy

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 4:01 PM
View users profile

Yeah! Lucky you - won't happen for me in Texas any time soon.

Report Violation

Bottom

hunnybee
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 4:07 PM

Congrats; you will have so much fun!

Report Violation

Bottom

Baby_Girl_Bird
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 4:53 PM

Hey zinger. What state are you in?

Report Violation

Bottom

luvbakin
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 5:02 PM
View users profile

Congrat's Zinger! Sounds like you fall under the Cottage Law like me!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 5:58 PM
View users profile

You lucky duck!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 5:59 PM

Oh Zinger!!! I am SO very, very happy for you. If I were there I'd hug, and hug, and hug you. So many times it is discouraging to find out you can't sell your beautiful cakes, but you are a success story. Congratulations darlin'.

Report Violation

Bottom

zinger60
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 6:08 PM

I am VERY excited. This law was passed in Indiana 2 years ago but they make it so difficult to even find out any information about it. I had never heard of it before and when I did find information on the internet and called the local health dept. (who oversees the program), all I got was conflicting information about it. The first person I talked to told me that no one can sell food that they make in their home. Then when I mentioned something about hearing about this new law and asked if they could send me any information on it, she just said they didn't have anymore information than what I had found on in internet. I finally told my husband yesterday that we need to go down there and get all the right information so that I know whether or not I can proceed with this. We got hooked up with the woman that is over the program and she gave us the information we needed and answered all my questions so now I am good to go The hardest part right now has been trying to come up with a name for the business that no one else has. Any ideas, anyone???

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 7:37 PM

Congratulations Zinger.........I've gotta admit I'm just a tad envious though! Too bad all states don't do the same.........

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 7:37 PM

Congrats Zinger!

Report Violation

Bottom

hotcouponmoma
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 7:48 PM

Since we're sort of on the topic, and I'm clueless, does anyone wanna volunteer if they know of a state (your state or not) where you can legally (with or without paperwork) sell from home/bake and home and take out to sell? I'm just starting out and never really thought of this and it sort of deflates the hopes that I had even if they were hidden inside my poor little daydreaming head and small in nature.

Report Violation

Bottom

zinger60
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 8:16 PM

The top 10 states that offer cottage laws that not only permit but promote home-based baking and food processing include:

1.Indiana
2.Iowa
3.New Hampshire
4.North Carolina
5.Ohio
6.Utah
7.Vermont
8.Virginia
9.Washington
10.Wyoming

Additional states that have jumped on the bandwagon include: Alabama, New Mexico and Michigan, with several others allowing only farmers to produce products for sale at the local state sponsored farmers market.

I just found this information when I did an internet search. It was written last Sept. so other states might have been added since then. Every state is different on what needs to been done to comply with the laws in their state. I would suggest you do a search on your state's government website or just do a search of something like selling baked goods from your home and list your state. It might take some digging to get the information but it will be worth it if you find out that you can sell things from your kitchen.

Report Violation

Bottom

grammalany
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 8:49 PM

Add Kansas to that list. Our laws changed last year. As long as food is not being packaged and sold in a retail store and directly to customers, then it is ok. The law changed about 6 months after I got my licensed kitchen done, which I don't regret, b/c I love all the big sinks and everything being in one room where I can close the door to the rest of the house.

Report Violation

Bottom

wobblyknee
Posted: Tuesday March 15, 2011 9:52 PM

Congrats and enjoy the baking and selling!

Report Violation

Bottom

pattieX
Posted: Wednesday March 16, 2011 7:44 AM
View users profile

Yes - congrats. I'm working on getting to that point myself.

Note on Alabama - you can prepare foods in your regular, family kitchen for sale at farmers markets and such. In order to do catering or custom baking/decorating for sale, you must have a separate kitchen that can only be used to prepare the foods you are going to sell. This kitchen must be inspected by the health department in order to get the permit/license, and probably is inspected regularly like restaurants and other food service businesses.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Wednesday March 16, 2011 8:00 AM
View users profile

Congrats! Way to go. Now are you coming to the Tent Sale? Might as well come the first weekend and participate in the Second Annual Friend Fest Weekend! We had a blast last year.

Time to stock up on supplies at the tent sale to get ready for your business! Plus you can order a lot of things that you just can't find right from Mmumsie's business http://www.slice-heaven.com and she will deliver them at the Friend Fest Weekend no delivery charges.

Vista Print has great deals on business cards too!

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Wednesday March 16, 2011 12:17 PM

Oh good for you!! Your cakes are lovely, you are sure to have booming business!!

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Wednesday March 16, 2011 1:40 PM

You are really lucky. I live in California and it is a no here. Anyone know of anybody trying to change that here in California? We have to "rent" a kitchen that is probably not as clean as our own.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakelady56
Posted: Wednesday March 16, 2011 5:57 PM

I am in Virginia and have had my kitchen inspected for the last few years. In fact our state encourages small home business! Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: