skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Is vinyl food safe to use as a mat for rolling fondant?
zinger60 03/11/2011 11:22 AM
I had heard somewhere that some people use the vinyl from Wal-Mart's fabric department to use to roll out fondant on. It looks like the same thing the "mat" is only would cost alot less. Anyone know anything about this? I have looked at it on the big rolls at Wal-Mart and it has an awful petroleum smell to it but maybe that would come out with washing it before I would use it. Maybe even if it is not listed as a food safe product, it could be used since the fondant is not in contact with it for only a couple minutes. I want to make sure it would be safe to use.
m_mckinney1 03/11/2011 11:37 AM
When you watch the promo video for the mat, they say that these types of vinyl aren't food safe. However, at my walmart, it shows the vinyl being used as tablecloths and coverings over pretty tablecloths to keep them clean. So, if we're assuming that disposable tablecloths are food safe to use for cake purposes I deduced that the vinyl should be too. I use the vinyl from walmart for mine. Can't say that it stated "food safe" anywhere on it though... The smell does go away after being cleaned & air dried.
mmumsie 03/11/2011 11:52 AM
IMHO - If you clean and sanitize the surface before using it should be okay to use.
emmer_d 03/11/2011 12:17 PM
Do you roll your fondant out between two vinyl mats or just on top of one? I just saw a YouTube video yesterday of Elite fondant being rolled out with their brand of mat. I was wondering if you can roll MMF out between two vinyl mats and get the same result and less mess like they did. Thanks, Emily
suppastaaah 03/11/2011 12:31 PM
It's not safe for use. It has nothing to do with cleanliness, and everything to do with chemical composition.

From Cakecentral you can read ycknits answer if you scroll down, and I've also copied and pasted it below:

"PLEASE don't use vinyl or other plastic sheeting that is not approved for food use to roll out your fondant! The problem with these materials is that they contain polymer free-radicals.... the crafty little polymer molecules that managed to avoid connecting with other molecules during the chemical reaction process that produced the vinyl or plastic. The "bad" thing about polymer free-radicals is that they are organic compounds and react very well with the organic molecules in our bodies! Many of them (in higher concentrations) have been identified as carcinogens or are materials to which people develop severe (i.e. lifethreatening) allergies at some level of exposure. A simple example of un-reacted polymer molecules that we can all relate to is the "new car" smell that is due to the unreacted chemicals in the plastics in our cars. The haze that forms on the inside of the windshield in a new car is the same thing. These chemicals are also present in vinyl sheeting.

Silicone is inert.... ie no free-radicals to react with our bodies. Some plastics are okay'd for food use... i.e. soda bottles, water bottles, baby bottles, plastic storage containers, etc. Vinyl is absolutely NOT safe for food-related uses. Plastic tablecloths are NOT vinyl.

I'm a chemical engineer with 35+ years of experience in polymer and pharmaceutical operations. I don't want to offend anyone - just inform."
suppastaaah 03/11/2011 12:36 PM
It would be helpful if I posted a link, wouldn't it?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6966387&sid=b06733184a599e93bc3e9b99bd87151f
zinger60 03/12/2011 3:13 PM
The more research online that I have done about vinyl makes me think that the kind they sell in the fabric department is not food safe. It has nothing to do with washing it in bleach or anything like that. It has everything to do with what chemicals are used to make the vinyl. I also just read about vinyl baby bibs being recalled at Wal-Mart because of very high levels of lead in them. The article said that lead is used in most vinyl products to make them less rigid.
As for the comment on the rolls of vinyl showing it as being used over a tablecloth, I would think that just because something is used to cover a table would not guarantee that it is food safe. A tablecloth is meant to set dishes on, not set food directly on it. I know some people use plastic tableclothes to cover their cake boards but how do they know that they are food safe?
I bought the vinyl from Wal-Mart to use for rolling fondant but after looking at all the articles about vinyl online, I am not going to use it. I'm not going to take any chances especially since I make alot of kids cakes. It makes me curious as to why so many people have a problem with using cellophane gift wrap that is labeled not food safe but they use this kind of PVC vinyl to roll fondant out,which would mean the whole fondant could be contaminated, not just a bottom border on a cake.
eden1103 03/12/2011 5:50 PM
I bought "The Mat" from Sweetwise in Nashville. It's the same idea with using two sheets of food safe vinyl to roll out fondant. It's great! They have an online store (sweetwise.com) and they'll ship it to you. I bought it about a month ago for $15 and it's 30" square. It's great for working on as a workmat or rolling out the fondant.
zinger60 03/13/2011 5:48 AM
eden1103,
I saw that mat online and I think that is the safest way to go. Thanks for the input on how good it works. I watched the video and it seemed like it would be something that would really be helpful in working with the fondant. I have a local cake decorating store that stocks alot of products so I'm going to see if maybe they have it or can order it cheaper. Too bad Michaels doesn't carry more cake decorating supplies.
cakesbychrystal 03/13/2011 6:12 AM
I think 15 bucks is a GREAT price for this "mat" u guys are talking about. I spent $35 plus shipping for my 24X36 ATECO silicone mat. I love it, but would love to have been able to pay $15 for it. Go for it zinger!
zinger60 03/13/2011 6:16 AM
I did some research on the mat and alot of people also like it more than the silicone mats since they say it is easier to use because it is clear and you can see through it. I guess that makes it easier to position the fondant over the cake. I am going to go for it
m_mckinney1 03/14/2011 1:42 PM
Ok, you've converted me.... My "Mat" is on the way
HeyWife 03/14/2011 9:18 PM
I absolutely LOVE my mat! I use MMF with it all the time.
binkbink 03/15/2011 10:04 AM
I like my MAT too! I even use it to cover my small worktable when my daughter and I are practicing with fondant/gumpaste so we don't have to stand at the kitchen counter!
emmer_d 03/15/2011 12:39 PM
HeyWife - so with MMF do you use anything to roll it out each time or have you only seasoned the mat one time when you first got it? I'm trying to find a way to roll out MMF with less of a mess. This weekend I used Crisco which was less messy than ps, but I think the mat looks even better.
lyndsayscott7 03/16/2011 12:50 PM
I just bought "The Mat" I am so excited! Thanks for sharing!
kycreative 03/19/2011 10:03 PM
I am going to order the "mat" this week but I have used the extra large Ziploc bags in a pinch. I cut it open on three sides then I roll out my small portions just like the "mat". It works well, for the time being. I just learned started doing it this week. I am beginning to feel fearless with fondant!
zinger60 03/20/2011 7:04 AM
kcreative,
I am also going to order my mat. I was so scared to try to cover a cake with fondant the first time but when I got the courage to do my first cake, I was hooked! Now I would much rather cover a cake with fondant than deal with trying to get buttercream very smooth and then dealing with all the little damages the buttercream gets while decorating or transporting. My husband and I have been trying to come up with a name for my cake business and while decorating a castle cake yesterday and dealing with all the problems with the buttercream, I told him I think I will name the business "Buttercream Sucks!"...of cource I was joking but to me the fondant is so much easier and you can do so many cool things with it. So get even more fearless with the fondant!!!
ginnyl 03/20/2011 9:01 AM
zinger60..thanks for my morning laugh...yes sometimes buttercream does suck as you say..I have found my own way of dealing with both buttercream and fondant..
If the fondant drives me real crazy, I just make a 4" high strip of fondant and place it around the cake and then decorate the heck out of the top with interesting swirls, and interesting border top and bottom and add a gumpaste plaque ( I make a few for just such occasions) with the appropriate greeting..
My other "trick" is to buttercream the sides of the cake and put a drape of fondant on the top..I make an odd shape edge on the fondant to give it the "artistic" look and tell the custome "it's all the new rage".
The way I figure it I have nothing to lose by trying something different..
ginnyl~~~~

sweetation 07/28/2011 11:12 AM
I am planning to order the Mat. Anyone know if one order has two Mats or just one?
Thanks!