skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Mardi Gras cake - step 1 masks
Created On Wednesday March 02, 2011 12:24 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

pattieX
Posted: Wednesday March 02, 2011 12:24 AM
View users profile

Here are my first ever gum paste/fondant masks! They're for a topsy turvy cake I'm doing next week for our annual Mardi Gras luncheon at work. Once these dry I'm going to paint them with pearl dust. I think I'll make three more once I can pull these off the forms...just in case one gets dropped.

TFL - I'll post the cake next week.

mg mask 1sm.jpg mg mask 1sm.jpg  (138 KB)
mg mask 4sm.jpg mg mask 4sm.jpg  (108 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

lpalega
Posted: Wednesday March 02, 2011 1:39 AM

those are great, how thick did you roll the fondant before you cut out the shape? did you free hand the shape or have a cutter? I so want to do a mardi gras cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

pattieX
Posted: Wednesday March 02, 2011 10:39 AM
View users profile

Thanks! I'd say I rolled the fondant to somewhere between 1/8 and 1/16 of an inch. I wasn't too sure how thick it should be so I just played it by ear. I created a template out of parchment paper using the masks as a guide and laid those on the rolled out fondant and cut around it. Then, I put the cut out on top of the mask to mold the shape. The masks I got were from the craft store and are plain, smooth masks...meant to be finished with feathers and sequins and whatnot for your own custom mask. I used leaf cutters and a veining tool to try to make the little cut outs look like feathers. I hope to glitz them up once they are dry and I can use some pearl dust "paint".

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Wednesday March 02, 2011 11:12 AM
View users profile

Cool, I can't wait to see the finished product!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Wednesday March 02, 2011 11:36 AM

They are looking great. I would have made them out of gum paste only. Dries quicker, is lighter when it dries too. Can hardly wait to see the finished design.

Report Violation

Bottom

lpalega
Posted: Wednesday March 02, 2011 12:14 PM

Ooh thanks. I will see what they have at the craft store. I can't wait to see the rest!!

Report Violation

Bottom

pattieX
Posted: Wednesday March 02, 2011 4:08 PM
View users profile

mmumsie - good point...these are pretty hefty. I guess I just thought you needed fondant in there for some reason. I want to do a couple of more so I will try gum paste only and see how that turns out.

Report Violation

Bottom

pattieX
Posted: Wednesday March 02, 2011 4:10 PM
View users profile

Oh, also meant to ask a question. Do you make your gum paste from scratch, a mix, or buy the pre made stuff? I'm just using the ready to use stuff, but that will get expensive fast in the long run.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: