skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Mardi Gras cake - step 1 masks
pattieX 03/02/2011 12:24 AM
Here are my first ever gum paste/fondant masks! They're for a topsy turvy cake I'm doing next week for our annual Mardi Gras luncheon at work. Once these dry I'm going to paint them with pearl dust. I think I'll make three more once I can pull these off the forms...just in case one gets dropped.

TFL - I'll post the cake next week.
Attachments:
lpalega 03/02/2011 1:39 AM
those are great, how thick did you roll the fondant before you cut out the shape? did you free hand the shape or have a cutter? I so want to do a mardi gras cake.
pattieX 03/02/2011 10:39 AM
Thanks! I'd say I rolled the fondant to somewhere between 1/8 and 1/16 of an inch. I wasn't too sure how thick it should be so I just played it by ear. I created a template out of parchment paper using the masks as a guide and laid those on the rolled out fondant and cut around it. Then, I put the cut out on top of the mask to mold the shape. The masks I got were from the craft store and are plain, smooth masks...meant to be finished with feathers and sequins and whatnot for your own custom mask. I used leaf cutters and a veining tool to try to make the little cut outs look like feathers. I hope to glitz them up once they are dry and I can use some pearl dust "paint".
cakedujour 03/02/2011 11:12 AM
Cool, I can't wait to see the finished product!
mmumsie 03/02/2011 11:36 AM
They are looking great. I would have made them out of gum paste only. Dries quicker, is lighter when it dries too. Can hardly wait to see the finished design.
lpalega 03/02/2011 12:14 PM
Ooh thanks. I will see what they have at the craft store. I can't wait to see the rest!!
pattieX 03/02/2011 4:08 PM
mmumsie - good point...these are pretty hefty. I guess I just thought you needed fondant in there for some reason. I want to do a couple of more so I will try gum paste only and see how that turns out.
pattieX 03/02/2011 4:10 PM
Oh, also meant to ask a question. Do you make your gum paste from scratch, a mix, or buy the pre made stuff? I'm just using the ready to use stuff, but that will get expensive fast in the long run.