skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How do you let your cakes SETTLE???...
Created On Friday February 11, 2011 6:50 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

Mikel79
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 6:50 AM

Hi Cakers!

I am aware of the TILE method. Once cake is filled some folks place a floor tile on top of the cake and let sit overnight. Can you please share any other methods of allowing your cakes to settle before icing? When my cakes are filled I place in food safe bag and place same size cake pan on top of the cake. I then fill the pan with water to the top for added weight.

Why am I asking?? I "think" I might be applying to much weight. When I went to go remove the cake pan and unwrap my cake, it was lopsided?!?! WTH? One side actually slopped down. I use a thick BC icing dam. I add a lot of PS to make it thick. Then fill. This has happened to a couple of my cakes. Sometimes part of the cake layer, NOT THE FILLING, will bulge out. I would have to trim the bulge off.

I let my cakes settle with the cake pan for about 12-18 hours. Do you think this is to much weight? To much time?

Please help! I had to build the cake up with icing to make it even. God, I hope the icing will support itself????

Freaking out!!!! =)

Michael

Report Violation

Bottom

gwez917
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 7:22 AM
View users profile

Im sure everyone has their own methods but I never put weight on my cakes. As soon as its out of the oven I push on the center some with a towel or pot holder and wait for it to cool 10-15 min then place it ona cooling rack. I put a towel over top of it then let it sit over night and decorate the next day and I have never had a problem. My cakes come out nice and straight and are firm enough to decorate. Hopefully others will have more adivce for you!

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 7:51 AM
View users profile

I've never added weight on top of the cake while it's settling. Even with stacked, tiered cakes, the weight of the upper tier(s) should be supported on some sort of structure (dowels, bubble tea straws, SPS, etc.) so I figure the cake should only have to settle under its own weight. I use a sturdier cake when using fondant, so the weight of that causes little compression.

When filling my cakes, I first pipe a stiff dam and use a cake board to compress the dam slightly and check for level. (Sprinkle the board with a bit of powdered sugar or corn starch to keep it from sticking and pulling up the dam.) Once filled, I put the cake in a large, foodsafe plastic bag, remove as much of the air as possible and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. Every now and again the cake bulges a bit, but I just slice off anything I think might show through the icing. Most times, though, I can just ice it and go.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 7:58 AM
View users profile

I don't put weight on my cakes either. I bake, cool, wrap in plastic and pop them in the fridge or freezer (depending on when I'll be using them). Only time I ever had a bulge was when I was using the Wilton 9" round pans because they don't have straight sides, but then I switched to Fat Daddio's...no bulge. Have you ever tried letting your cakes settle without the weight?

Report Violation

Bottom

Mikel79
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 8:28 AM

I have tried not putting any weight on top of my cakes. However, I would get that bulge after icing my cakes. Maybe, I did not let it sit long enough??

Michael

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 9:04 AM

The only thing I do is smoosh the cakes together to help speed the process up a little for the settling !!

The bulge usually occurs after the cake settles, I would suggest letting it sit longer, or smoosh it a little !!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 9:18 AM
View users profile

How long are u letting your cakes rest before u ice them? My cakes rest a day or two before I fill & ice.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mikel79
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 9:40 AM

Crystal...

The cake I have iced now, rested with the cake pan for about 23 hours. I cannot remember how long I let the cake rest when I use to do it with no weight. I don't think it was 23 hours though. Less than...

I hope that when I get home at 2:00 today, that my icing has help up just fine. I iced it last night about 8:00pm. This morning about 6:00 am it looked fine....I am thinking that the weight from all the water in the cake pan was just to much?....

Thanks for your input....

Michael

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 10:42 AM
View users profile

Well good luck! I'm sure it will be fine. Your cakes always look PERFECT!

Report Violation

Bottom

Mikel79
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 11:25 AM

Thanks Chrystal!

=)

I hate being such a **** Perfectionist. Sometimes you just have to walk away........=)
I am probalbly tripping out over nothing...."Knock on wood"....

Thanks
Michael

Report Violation

Bottom

dottiepark
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 12:01 PM
View users profile

Mikel, where did you hear about weighting your cakes? That's a new one on me.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 12:12 PM
View users profile

I know what you mean about sometimes having to walk away. I say I have OCD when it comes to my cakes, but that's ok cause it makes for a great cake and your "perfectionist" side really shows through your work. I enjoy looking at your cakes. I wish you were able to do more.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mikel79
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 12:16 PM

dottiepark....

I learned about that trick from CakeCentral.com

=)

Crystal....

=)
Thanks,

Michael

Report Violation

Bottom

denetteb
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 12:53 PM
View users profile

I don't use a weight on mine, but could it be that the surface your cake is on isn't level....so that when you put water in the pan the water isn't level and the water flows to the lower end making it even more weight on the lower end making that end settle more and on and on. I would suggest using a weight that isn't liquid. A couple cans or something.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 4:34 PM

I never put a weight on mine either.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 5:19 PM
View users profile

No weight, but I do gently press when I get the layers together to get the process moving along. My instructor told us to do that way back when I took my classes.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 9:16 PM

I've never heard of putting a weight on cakes but I do put a thick dam of frosting and push down on it a little. Then I let it settle for anywhere from a couple of hours to overnight....never longer than that.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 10:42 PM
View users profile

I don't put weight on mine either. They get baked, cooled in the pan for about 15min., leveled in the pan using the edge as a guide, flipped out onto a cake cardboard (with wax paper between (2 pcs), wrapped and put right into the freezer. They come out of the freezer, get filled and crumbcoated and put back into the frig to thaw gradually overnite. Then the final coat goes on the next day. Make sure your frosting dam is really stiff.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday February 12, 2011 12:30 AM
View users profile

cakes06, that is the method I have found works the best for me with great success..~~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

Mikel79
Posted: Saturday February 12, 2011 8:03 AM

Thank you Cakers for the input!

If interested I posted my cake in Life Celebrations. Titled "Pink and Green Birthday Cake..."

denetteb...

Good point, when I went to take it off the water was visibly not level. It was higher on one side then the other. I have a cake next week that I am NOT going to use a weight. Maybe just a empty cake pan with no weight in it.

Thanks again folks!!!

Michael

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: