skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: First Time Making a 2 tier cake
Created On Tuesday February 08, 2011 9:26 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Myka T
Posted: Tuesday February 08, 2011 9:26 PM

PLEASE HELP!!!!

This is my first time making a 2 tier birthday cake. It's for my son who is turning 4. When i am stacking the cakes I know that i have to use the dowels for support but my question is do I have to place a cake board (piece of cardboard) under the 2nd tier of the cake for more support. Please Help!!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

suepers
Posted: Wednesday February 09, 2011 8:44 AM

Yes, you need a cake board under all your tiers.

Report Violation

Bottom

Myka T
Posted: Thursday February 10, 2011 4:55 AM

Thank you so much

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Thursday February 10, 2011 7:06 AM

If you do not have a cake board between the tiers, the dowells will not serve the purpose. The cake board is what the dowels rest on to give the cake the support it needs.

You can use straws instead of the wooden cake dowels.
After you measure to get the proper length, leave all of the dowels/straws sticking up a little out of the cake. This will give you 'finger room' to set the second layer on w/o marring your cake. The weight of the cake will cause the dowels to sink into the bottom cake. If it doesn't, you can take the tip of your spatula to gently settle the cake on down. I always keep my fingers in place until I see that the cake isn't going to go to one side. This method works like a charm!

I wish you great success!
I bet that little guy is super excited for his up-coming birthday!

Report Violation

Bottom

noteasy
Posted: Thursday February 10, 2011 1:03 PM

I haven't taken the class that teaches how to stack cakes in tiers, that mt next goal. But I"m so confused. Do the dowels have to touch or go thru all tiers? Or they have to be as long as one cake?

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Thursday February 10, 2011 3:19 PM

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=126866&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Noteasy, this link might answer a lot of questions that you might have.

Starting on the bottom tier: The cake itself is sitting on a cake board. You cut your dowels to the height of your cake (actually a little less) and place them inside the cake. The next tier is on a cake board. You place this tier on top of the one below. The dowels in the cake below are actually what keeps the upper tier from sinking into the cake. There is a board between the two tiers ~ it can stand straight b/c the dowels are there to hold it up. If you have a tier cake, each tier will need dowels to support the tier that is sitting on top of it.
In my earlier post I said that the cake board is what the dowels rest on. It's actually the cake board resting on the dowels in the cake below. Actually there's a board on each side of the dowels. I'm shutting up before I confuse myself. Ha! I'm kind of goofy in explaining things sometimes. Sorry!

Report Violation

Bottom

noteasy
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 12:15 PM

Thank you so much! I'm getting a more clear image now!

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Friday February 11, 2011 7:02 PM

These links should help you. They go through the doweling and construction process step by step. Hope this helps!!
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/dowel-rod-construction.cfm
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

Report Violation

Bottom

Myka T
Posted: Monday February 14, 2011 10:18 PM

Yes this helped out alot thanks. i hope that all goes well, this is my first time and i dont want it to be a disaster. LOL

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetcupcakes
Posted: Monday February 11, 2013 7:13 PM

Hello Sugar Pie!
I'm Sweetcupcakes I have some questions about this since I'm the one in the same spot that Myka T was in back on February 2011. So I understand that there should be a cake board between each tier. I followed up on the two links you mentioned. My questions are: What kind of cake board should I use? Corrugated or styrofoam? Does it matter? Does each board per tier need to be wrapped in foil? My understanding is that corrugated boards are "waxed" so that the "oils" won't seep through. What keeps the underside of the corrugated board from getting "oiled" from the cake below it? I read on the link that I could use confectioner's sugar to keep the board from sticking to the board. Does this work? Is it really safe to use wooden dowels? You mentioned straws could be used. Would the "fat boba straws" or the "bubble tea straws" work? They are 10mm (1/2") wide and 7.5" long. If I'm delivering Sunday mid-day. When can I stack the 2 tiered cake? My goal is to have everything done the night before, if possible, so that I can have some stress and relief before I deliver the cake. Can I travel with the stacked cake or should I wait to get to my destination and stack it there? If I wait to stack there I guess I'd have to decorate each tier separately then stack there, right? Sugar Pie, I'm so nervous about this! I've never done anything like this before and I don't want to disappoint my girlfriend especially since it is her daughter's first birthday. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetcupcakes
Posted: Monday February 11, 2013 7:17 PM

Hello Sugar Pie!
Sweetcupcakes again! I meant to say earlier that I'd like to some less stress and some relief when I deliver the cakes. I guess you could have figured that out on your own by reading between the lines! Ha! Ha! I'm really nervous about this. Can you tell??????

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Tuesday February 12, 2013 12:27 AM

Howdy, Sweetcupcakes! I'll take a stab at answering your questions on behalf of Sugar Pie. (She was my mentor on a big cake project about a year ago!)

Question: What kind of cake board should I use? Corrugated or styrofoam? Does it matter? Does each board per tier need to be wrapped in foil? My understanding is that corrugated boards are "waxed" so that the "oils" won't seep through. What keeps the underside of the corrugated board from getting "oiled" from the cake below it?
Answer: Since the cake circle is not going to be seen and is only for support, all you have to do is have clean cardboard, unwaxed, unwrapped. Here is the Wilton product that I use: Cake Circles Waxed or foil covered boards are used when they will be seen by the customer. Example:
Show 'N Serveā„¢ Cake Boards

The CAKE DRUM, however, that will be underneath the entire 2-tier cake, needs to be sturdy enough so that it can support the weight and will not bend. I do not recommend the Wilton Cake Base for anything other than a single tier cake! It WILL bend under the weight and may cause cracks in your icing borders. Wilton Silver Cake Base.

Most people use 1/2 inch foamcore, available at craft stores. 1/2" foamcore. 1/2" foamcore will support a great deal of weight. Cut to size with carpet cutter, then wrap in food-safe foil. Wilton FanciFoil

Here's a Wilton video: Covering a Cake Drum with Fanci-Foil
-----------------
Question: I read on the link that I could use confectioner's sugar to keep the board from sticking to the top of the cake on the bottom tier.
Answer: It will help.
-----------------
Question & Answers: Is it really safe to use wooden dowels? YES. You mentioned straws could be used. Would the "fat boba straws" or the "bubble tea straws" work? They are 10mm (1/2") wide and 7.5" long. YES.
-----------------
Question: If I'm delivering Sunday mid-day. When can I stack the 2 tiered cake? My goal is to have everything done the night before.
Answer: Yes. You can completely finish and stack the cake the evening before. Unless you have used ingredients that demand refrigeration, it is ok to leave on a counter overnight. Just loosely cover with some plastic wrap to prevent dust.

You can deliver a two-tier cake just fine. No need to assemble on site. Just drive carefully and safely and make sure the cake is on the floor on a LEVEL surface. (I recommend purchasing a roll of rubberized shelf liner at the Dollar Store and putting that on the floor first. It will keep the cake from sliding.)
------------------

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday February 12, 2013 10:15 AM
View users profile

I'm going to jump in here with some additional thoughts.

If you are going to use the corrugated cake boards between tiers use the ones that are waxed so that the board does not absorb any grease that would compromise its strength. I no longer use the boards between tiers unless I double or triple them. I prefer to use foam core board. For most cakes I use 1/4" foam core for this but if I want to add to the height of my tier I use 1/2" foam core. The reason for this is that lifting a bigger tier to sit on the cake can cause the corrugated board to bend. No worries with the foam core.

Powdered sugar will help prevent sticking tiers, but if you cut the straws (MUCH easier to use than wooden dowels!) slightly higher (1/16" - 1/8") than the icing on the cake, it won't stick anyway.

I have delivered many, many two tiered cakes already assembled. No problems! Until there was. Lesson learned, I now use the pipe/flange method or stack at the venue. I tell myself that it would be ok just as it was countless other times but then I remember how awful I felt when the top cake on my grandson's Christening cake fell over during the 10 minute drive to his house. So anchor the top tier. I make mistakes so you don't have to.

Whoknew? and the others have also posted other good advice here.

Report Violation

Bottom

teenykat
Posted: Monday May 20, 2013 10:10 AM

I know this is an older post, but i just recently did a 2 tier beer mug cake.. I usually make my bubble straws flush with the top tier, but i didnt want the flling to oooose out with the pressure.. my question is that it was not very stable because it was "on top" of the straws and there was abit of space under the board??? did i miss something.. what did i do wrong.... ???

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday May 20, 2013 11:17 AM
View users profile

Teenykat, did you use a central dowel rod through all four layers of cake and their boards to secure the double barrel cake?

Report Violation

Bottom

teenykat
Posted: Monday May 20, 2013 1:22 PM

spooky, i actually used 3 because i was worried it would fall and that gave it all the support... is that whats supposed to happen.. it appears a bit "wobbly" till you dowel them all together??? thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: