skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: help with pregnant belly cake and fondant
spongebob6 02/04/2011 2:17 PM
I haven't tried fondant yet. A friend of mine found a pic of a pregnant lady cake and wants me to help her make it for a coworker of ours. I looked on the forums here and saw that people are using the mini wonder molds and ball cake pans. Should I put buttercreme on first and then fondant? Any tips on working with fondant for beginners? Also if I am going to put this cake on top of a sheet cake to feed more, do I need anything extra for support? Really want to take a fondant course but no one around here offers day classes
AshleyxAnn 02/04/2011 2:43 PM
I have made a couple different baby belly cakes, because I didn't have the wonder ball pans, I just used rice krispie treats and formed the boobs/belly out of it..then made sure to apply a pretty thick layer of buttercream (to cover up the krispies from showing through the fondant) then layed fondant over it. When using the rice krispies I never used anything for support...just stuck it on top of the sheet cake with some buttercream...didn't have problems with it sliding or anything however I wouldn't imagine adding extra support would hurt.
AshleyxAnn 02/04/2011 2:44 PM
Oh and also wanted to add if you make the baby belly part out of cake..then yes you will need to apply a think layer of buttercream to the cake before adding the fondant
AshleyxAnn 02/04/2011 2:45 PM
*thin layer...lol sorry meant to say thin layer of buttercream