skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Anyone freeze their cakes before frosting them?
Created On Saturday January 29, 2011 7:37 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

zinger60
Posted: Saturday January 29, 2011 7:37 PM

I had never froze my cakes before frosting them but the last cake I made, I made it several days before I needed to decorate it so I froze it. When I took it out and frosted it, it was still pretty much frozen. I noticed that I was able to smooth the buttercream onto the cake easier than I have ever done it before. It was the smoothest cake I have ever done and I was so glad since it was my first fondant covered cake. Would the cake being frozen have anything to do with being able to smooth it so well? If it did help by freezing, I am going to do this every time. My main concern would be if there could possibly be problems later when the cake was thawing out, such as with condensation. I did have a bubble on top of my fondant, which I just popped with a toothpick but I wonder how it would work with an all buttercream cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Saturday January 29, 2011 7:42 PM
View users profile

I never handle or frost room temp cakes. I like my cakes to either be frozen or fresh out the fridge. I think it makes them easier to handle and stack and yes, easier to ice.

Report Violation

Bottom

luvbakin
Posted: Saturday January 29, 2011 7:47 PM
View users profile

Glad to hear this...my DH likes to get a little carried away with the wood stove at times!
Today it was 19 degrees outside snowing and I'm running around the house in shorts and a tank top with the door open... Glad no one stopped by they would have thought I was nuts!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Saturday January 29, 2011 8:02 PM

I freeze my cakes most of the time, take them out and fill and crumbcoat them while frozen. I don't put the final frosting on until they've thawed completely. That's probably what cause your bubble..
If you're going to use fondant and not put another coat of bc on ....you can dampen the cake slightly so the fondant will stick to the cc and then apply the fondant. You can either spray it lightly or lay a damp paper towel on the cake.
I find frozen cakes much easier to handle than fresh baked ones and the icing does go on easier. They seem to stay more moist too since the frosting seals the moisture in.

Report Violation

Bottom

zinger60
Posted: Saturday January 29, 2011 8:06 PM

sweetgrandma,
If I were doing all buttercream and not fondant, can I do the final coating while it is still partially frozen or would there be problems with the buttercream after it thawed?

Report Violation

Bottom

LisaH
Posted: Saturday January 29, 2011 8:36 PM

Never! I never freeze cake...makes it wet and yucky! My customers always ask me if I freeze and I say "No". They don't know if I'm fibbing or not but they say they appreciate that they are never frozen.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday January 29, 2011 8:48 PM
View users profile

I love working with a frozen cake especially chocolate. It really keeps the crumbs down and so much easier to handle.~~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

denetteb
Posted: Sunday January 30, 2011 9:31 AM
View users profile

I also often freeze mine. And I also often start to crumb coat while frozen and it works very well. Then I often continue icing with BC as it defrosts and haven't had a problem. I have never noticed them being wet or yucky. No one has ever asked if I freeze and if they did I would just say that it helps to get the baking done early and it makes for a moister cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

m_mckinney1
Posted: Sunday January 30, 2011 11:06 AM

I freeze all of mine, and definitely prefer it that way. Like some of the others, I also think it makes them taste more moist.

The only problem I have run into is if I try to smooth my icing with the viva method. If you put a full layer of frosting on, as the cake defrosts the condensation goes through the icing so that it takes forever to crust (and occasionally it never fully crusts) so I'm unable to use the viva. Since beginning to do as sweetgrandma (crumbcoat, but no final coat until it is defrosted) it works much better for me. Another thing, if I fill & do a final frost while still froze as it defrosts the cake will settle and cause a bulge between layers. Which is another reason I wait for defrosting to finish the final coat.

Everyone does things differently, hope you find what works best for you !

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Sunday January 30, 2011 11:30 AM
View users profile

I always freeze my cakes ahead of time. If it's a sheet for a birthday for example, I'll take it out and finish it up even before it's thawed. If it's for a wedding, the tiers come out two days before the wedding, get filled and crumb coated, loosely covered with plastic wrap and placed in the frig. to thaw gradually overnite. Then the next day, the final coat goes on etc. and back into the frig. until delivery the next day. I don't work with fondant so these are for buttercream frosted cakes. I always get rave reviews how moist the cake is and fresh tasting.

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Sunday January 30, 2011 1:53 PM

Oo, I might have to try freezing my cakes if the results are that good!!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Sunday January 30, 2011 2:14 PM

zinger...I have better luck when I'm using all bc frosting to wait until the crumbcoat has thawed and dried completely before adding the final coat of buttercream.
I had issues with the cake settling & bulging and even with the frosting pulling away from the cake when I tried to do it all while the cake was still frozen.

On the cake shows on tv I notice they put their crumbcoated cakes in the fridge or freezer for a little while before adding the last coat of bc and they say it makes the frosting go on easier. I haven't tried that yet but I'm going to with my next cake. I'll keep you posted on how it works.

Report Violation

Bottom

zinger60
Posted: Sunday January 30, 2011 3:09 PM

sweetgrandma,
Maybe that is the reason I was able to frost the cake so much smoother and easier. I thought maybe because it was frozen but it might work just as well if just the crumbcoat was cold, not necessarily the whole cake frozen. All I know is that it was the smoothest and easiest cake I ever frosted. This was a fondant covered cake (my first) and even though I put the fondant on when it was very cold, I didn't have one bit of problem with it bulging where the two cakes come together. Of course, I did have that big bubble under the top of the fondant as the cake thawed but it was only on the top of the top tier and it was easily fixed. So from now on, I am going to try just sticking it in the freezer for a little bit to get the crumbcoat hard and then frost. I think it will work out great.

Report Violation

Bottom

cycakes
Posted: Sunday January 30, 2011 3:31 PM

zinger, I read a tip on here (not sure from whom or would absolutely give credit where it is due!) that after your cake has completley cooled place it in freezer for 30min-1 hr, then take it out to level or tort & crumb coat as it is MUCH easier! Less crumbs, smooth cuts (sometimes when I get to the end of the cut on a fresh cake it wants to tear-of course making my cakes more dense has also helped with this) and frosts like a breeze! I have frozen cakes completely before as I had to bake them much earlier than normal due to scheduling (kids, hubby, etc) but I just unwrapped left them drapped at room temp to thaw, but did toss uncovered in freezer for 20 min so it set up & was more firm for tort & crumb coat. I use a spatula dipped (BUT COMPLETELY DRIED) in very hot water to smooth out bc. If any bumps left I use a sponge roller (like for painting) to literally roll them out. Read both of those tips on here as well! Both methods should be used after bc has lightly crusted. I have never put fondant over a frozen cake, but do work with fondant quite a bit. I don't have bc completely smooth under fondant as I like to leave it a little thicker so corners or edges are more stable when smoothing. In fact there's a recurring theme in that all of tips came of this forum!!! Once you find what works best for you I'm sure you'll rock it!

Report Violation

Bottom

luvbakin
Posted: Sunday January 30, 2011 4:41 PM
View users profile

I just crumb coated and iced a half frozen cake and it was much easier to do it this way. Also smoothing with Viva was the smoothest I have gotten the icing yet!

Report Violation

Bottom

josilind
Posted: Sunday January 30, 2011 4:59 PM

i freeze ALL my cakes because of the job i have is time consuming and have to pace myself.also, suprisingly, alot of bakeries do the same thing. its easier to handle and position on the boards when it is frozen, especially if it is over a 10" .

What i do is take the cake out of the freezer, position on a board that is already covered and let it sit there, while i am mixing my icing in the mixer, by the time you are done icing and decorating, the cake is pretty much thawed out.just if you are going to do any smoothing your cake (like with a viva) i would work quickly with it because if it starts thawing and you are using the papertowel it may cause the icing to pull and stick to your papertowel.

so either work quickly with it or let it sit and give it time to sweat and crust over THEN use the viva.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes by jose
Posted: Thursday December 27, 2012 6:13 PM

hey i am doing a fondant cake but i will like to know if i have to freeze the cake before adding the fondant ? because if i freeze it how will the fondant stick ?

Report Violation

Bottom

krzykakes
Posted: Friday December 28, 2012 7:24 AM
View users profile

Good Morning Jose...welcome to the forums...when I do my fondant cakes I crumb coat it first and then add another thin layer and stick it in the fridge until it crusts and then I cover it in fondant...I never freeze it after that because it leaves a condensation on it when I take it out so usually after I cover it in fondant I wrap it in saran wrap and box it up and keep it really cold in my house so it will stay fresh

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: