skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Tylose Powder...?
Created On Saturday January 01, 2011 12:12 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Baby_Girl_Bird
Posted: Saturday January 01, 2011 12:12 PM

Does anyone here know if meringue powder is the same basic thing as Tylose Powder? Can it be used in place of Tylose using the same measurements, and get the same effect?

Also...does anyone know where one can buy tylose in bulk? All I can find is a 2 oz. and a 5 oz. size. Very frustrating. Surely big cake decorating businesses don't buy it in those small amounts!

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Saturday January 01, 2011 1:28 PM

They are not the same thing. Tylose is a gum powder that helps fondant dry quicker and harder like gum paste. Meringue powder is not used the same way.

Here is a cake blogger that answered this question:
http://thatsacake.blogspot.com/2010/01/can-meringue-powder-replace-tylose-for.html

I have a home-based cake business and use Tylose often. My tylose is the 2 oz bottle from CK products. It was only about $3 and I have had it for quite some time. You do not use a lot of it at one time so it lasts for me. I just sprinkle it on my fondant that I'm kneading until I get the consistency I want.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Saturday January 01, 2011 1:43 PM

Meringue powder is powdered egg whites. It's an additive to bc and a base for royal icing. Not it cannot be used as a substitute for tylose powder. If you wish to use a Wilton product...try Gum Tex. Still not the same but close and could be the sub you're looking for.

Report Violation

Bottom

cindy67
Posted: Friday August 02, 2013 1:05 PM

Can gum tex be used in place of tylose....will the figure be soft and edible?

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Saturday August 03, 2013 11:37 AM
View users profile

Gum tex can be used in place of tylose. The purpose of both is to help the fondant dry, usually hard. I would think most modeled fondant figures wouldn't be eaten. If you want to make figures that will remain soft, pliable and edible - try modeling chocolate instead of fondant or gumpaste.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: