skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: why did my fondant puff ?
Created On Tuesday December 21, 2010 2:41 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bakiebake
Posted: Tuesday December 21, 2010 2:41 PM

hello all,
i recently baked and iced a cake with bc and left it in the fridge for a day. the next day i took itout and covered the cold cake with fondant. i later noticed that the fondant started to droop and puff up.

i have used fondant before and teh same brand, and never had this problem. teh only thing i did different was to cover it while it was still cold. would a cold cake cause these problems??

do i need to bring the iced cake to room tempbefore covering??
pls help, my daughters 1st birthday cake is coming up and i want to avoid as many pitfalls as possible!

thanks so much.

Report Violation

Bottom

cupcake52
Posted: Tuesday December 21, 2010 3:01 PM

That's why they say don't refrigerate fondant covered cakes.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Tuesday December 21, 2010 3:15 PM
View users profile

I'm not sure what happened, but I just wanted to say that it is ok to cover a cold cake with fondant. I NEVER cover room temp cakes with fondant. I like my cakes to be firm when I apply my fondant. I have covered cold from the fridge and frozen cakes with fondant with no issues and I'd say 90% of my cakes are fondant cakes. I also put my fondant cakes in the fridge.

Is it possible that you had air trapped under your fondant when you were covering the cake? I know that can cause bubbles...not sure about the drooping part though.

Report Violation

Bottom

baura_l
Posted: Tuesday December 21, 2010 11:33 PM

I've had Gumpaste made with eggwhites Expand because I left it out and Sometimes I'm sure this wasn't your situation but good to know. I cover the cake in fondant right before the ocassion (Talk about time crunch)

Report Violation

Bottom

bakiebake
Posted: Wednesday December 22, 2010 6:34 AM

thank you everybody. its good to know that cold cakes can be covered. i might have had some air bubbles, i gues while rolling it out.
thanks again.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: