skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: question??stuff under fondant????
Created On Thursday November 11, 2010 1:19 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

kmangohebre
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 1:19 AM

do i HaVE to use bc icing on cake before applying fondant or can i just use the betty crocker icing?

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 7:41 AM

Betty Crocker or any other canned frosting is probably too soft. I haven't tried it, but it would probably make the fondant slide and I personally would never risk it. You can also use ganache under fondant. You can type ganache in the Wilton search box and it will bring up several recipes.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 8:51 AM
View users profile

Betty Crocker icing will work just fine.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 8:57 AM

cakesbychrystal, GET OUT! You can use canned frosting under fondant? Why doesn't everybody do that? I think canned frosting tastes wonderful and would save so much time. Since I started decorating everyone in the cake universe dis's canned frosting bigtime and I never dreamed you could use it under fondant. Can you use it thick or just a crumb coat? Have you done this? We've got to tell people!!!!!! (picture the smiley with the big, big eyes!!!!)

Report Violation

Bottom

dottiepark
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 9:08 AM
View users profile

IMHO, canned frosting tastes good on a spoon in the middle of the night, but I would never use it on cake!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 9:21 AM
View users profile

I've done it many times for family cakes. It's a huge time saver. Nothing wrong with it at all. I think it's only taboo to use canned frosting on cakes for customers, especially if u don't bake from scratch. In the cake world, I think most believe if u start ur cake from a mix, u should make your own delicious icing. I use box mixes, so if I also used canned frostings I wouldn't be making my "own" cake in my opinion. But like I said, for family, it's canned all day long if I'm using it under fondant. (only vanilla & chocolate tho)

Report Violation

Bottom

Joules
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 9:36 AM
View users profile

do you just crumbcoat it or put it on thick?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 9:51 AM
View users profile

It's your personal preference. I don't use a thick layer of frosting under my fondant. Canned or not. I find that when the icing is too thick, I'm more likely to get air bubbles.

Report Violation

Bottom

kmangohebre
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 10:35 AM

so do can i use the betty crocker or make my own bc? wow now i dnt know who's advice to take o_0

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 12:07 PM
View users profile

Well are u selling the cake? If ur selling it I think u should make ur own BC, but it's ur decision because it's your cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

kmangohebre
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 12:49 PM

no im just want to make a cake for my sis 21 birthday

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 1:12 PM

I like canned frosting, especially the chocolate. It is great to know I can have a shelf-stable supply of icing on hand if I don't have the buttercream ingredients or feel like making a batch of buttercream. I give all my cakes away, so no worries about "selling".

Report Violation

Bottom

spaced_out_cakes
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 7:53 PM
View users profile

For whatever it's worth, I have made Bunny's marshmallow fondant twice and both times I used a Betty Crocker vanilla frosting underneath. To me it seemed too soft both times -- the fondant moved around over top of it. The first time I thought it was a fondant problem, but the fondant worked out way easier for me the second time and still it slid all around...

I think Bunny said at the time it is best to use a crusting buttercream underneath. (Now, whether it needs to crust BEFORE or AFTER the fondant goes on... not sure!)

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday November 11, 2010 8:06 PM

The fondant will slide due to the amount of icing you have placed underneath the fondant. So with that being said, if you place 1/2 " of icing on your cake and then try to put the fondant on it is gonna slip and slide.

I always use a crusting buttercream that has crusted over so that I can get it nice and smooth before I put my MMF on. I place about 1/4" of icing on my cake too. I use that because some people do not like to chew their frosting (the MMF) and they then can peel it off and eat the buttercream that lies below.

Report Violation

Bottom

cbronson1
Posted: Friday November 12, 2010 12:56 PM

I must admit, there are times where I have used canned frosting under fondant and...yes...I sold the cake!

I've used the Pillsbury Vanilla Rich and Creamy and used it as a crumb coat, put it in the fridge to firm up and I did get a nice crust on it. I covered it with MMF (bunnywoman's of course!) and it turned out great! No slipping, no moving...

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Friday November 12, 2010 1:18 PM
View users profile

cbronson1...Pills vanilla is my fave too!

Report Violation

Bottom

AidaLovetoBake27
Posted: Tuesday June 21, 2011 11:42 PM

Iam Baking a cake but I want to use regular frosting instead of BC it that even possible and whats the method i should use because this is my first time making a cake with fondant so im lost. PLEASE HELP!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday June 22, 2011 12:08 AM

Howdy and welcome to the forum. All you have to do is apply a thin coat of the canned icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesnflowers
Posted: Wednesday June 22, 2011 1:44 AM

I've never used anything but canned frosting when I've done cakes and never had a probably with it. (I'm so lazy! Lol!) But then again I've only made 3 cakes so that doesn't really say much.

I used just enough icing to cover the cake to the point where you can't see the actual cake. In other words, a thin layer. And I let it sit for about 15ish minutes before applying fondant.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Wednesday June 22, 2011 12:13 PM
View users profile

AidaLovetoBake27....Breath and welcome to the Forum...remember it's only cake and not rocket science..LOL
As posted, it's a matter of person preference as to frostings..I personally use bunnywoman's recipe but if I was in a real bind I would not hesitate to use a canned frosting...just make it a thin crumbcoat that you let sit for a while..
have fun and let's see the finished cake..
ginny~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: