skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: question??stuff under fondant????
kmangohebre 11/11/2010 1:19 AM
do i HaVE to use bc icing on cake before applying fondant or can i just use the betty crocker icing?
whoknew? 11/11/2010 7:41 AM
Betty Crocker or any other canned frosting is probably too soft. I haven't tried it, but it would probably make the fondant slide and I personally would never risk it. You can also use ganache under fondant. You can type ganache in the Wilton search box and it will bring up several recipes.
cakesbychrystal 11/11/2010 8:51 AM
Betty Crocker icing will work just fine.
whoknew? 11/11/2010 8:57 AM
cakesbychrystal, GET OUT! You can use canned frosting under fondant? Why doesn't everybody do that? I think canned frosting tastes wonderful and would save so much time. Since I started decorating everyone in the cake universe dis's canned frosting bigtime and I never dreamed you could use it under fondant. Can you use it thick or just a crumb coat? Have you done this? We've got to tell people!!!!!! (picture the smiley with the big, big eyes!!!!)
dottiepark 11/11/2010 9:08 AM
IMHO, canned frosting tastes good on a spoon in the middle of the night, but I would never use it on cake!
cakesbychrystal 11/11/2010 9:21 AM
I've done it many times for family cakes. It's a huge time saver. Nothing wrong with it at all. I think it's only taboo to use canned frosting on cakes for customers, especially if u don't bake from scratch. In the cake world, I think most believe if u start ur cake from a mix, u should make your own delicious icing. I use box mixes, so if I also used canned frostings I wouldn't be making my "own" cake in my opinion. But like I said, for family, it's canned all day long if I'm using it under fondant. (only vanilla & chocolate tho)
Joules 11/11/2010 9:36 AM
do you just crumbcoat it or put it on thick?
cakesbychrystal 11/11/2010 9:51 AM
It's your personal preference. I don't use a thick layer of frosting under my fondant. Canned or not. I find that when the icing is too thick, I'm more likely to get air bubbles.
kmangohebre 11/11/2010 10:35 AM
so do can i use the betty crocker or make my own bc? wow now i dnt know who's advice to take o_0
cakesbychrystal 11/11/2010 12:07 PM
Well are u selling the cake? If ur selling it I think u should make ur own BC, but it's ur decision because it's your cake.
kmangohebre 11/11/2010 12:49 PM
no im just want to make a cake for my sis 21 birthday
whoknew? 11/11/2010 1:12 PM
I like canned frosting, especially the chocolate. It is great to know I can have a shelf-stable supply of icing on hand if I don't have the buttercream ingredients or feel like making a batch of buttercream. I give all my cakes away, so no worries about "selling".
spaced_out_cakes 11/11/2010 7:53 PM
For whatever it's worth, I have made Bunny's marshmallow fondant twice and both times I used a Betty Crocker vanilla frosting underneath. To me it seemed too soft both times -- the fondant moved around over top of it. The first time I thought it was a fondant problem, but the fondant worked out way easier for me the second time and still it slid all around...

I think Bunny said at the time it is best to use a crusting buttercream underneath. (Now, whether it needs to crust BEFORE or AFTER the fondant goes on... not sure!)
bunnywoman 11/11/2010 8:06 PM
The fondant will slide due to the amount of icing you have placed underneath the fondant. So with that being said, if you place 1/2 " of icing on your cake and then try to put the fondant on it is gonna slip and slide.

I always use a crusting buttercream that has crusted over so that I can get it nice and smooth before I put my MMF on. I place about 1/4" of icing on my cake too. I use that because some people do not like to chew their frosting (the MMF) and they then can peel it off and eat the buttercream that lies below.
cbronson1 11/12/2010 12:56 PM
I must admit, there are times where I have used canned frosting under fondant and...yes...I sold the cake!

I've used the Pillsbury Vanilla Rich and Creamy and used it as a crumb coat, put it in the fridge to firm up and I did get a nice crust on it. I covered it with MMF (bunnywoman's of course!) and it turned out great! No slipping, no moving...

cakesbychrystal 11/12/2010 1:18 PM
cbronson1...Pills vanilla is my fave too!
AidaLovetoBake27 06/21/2011 11:42 PM
Iam Baking a cake but I want to use regular frosting instead of BC it that even possible and whats the method i should use because this is my first time making a cake with fondant so im lost. PLEASE HELP!
whoknew? 06/22/2011 12:08 AM
Howdy and welcome to the forum. All you have to do is apply a thin coat of the canned icing.
cakesnflowers 06/22/2011 1:44 AM
I've never used anything but canned frosting when I've done cakes and never had a probably with it. (I'm so lazy! Lol!) But then again I've only made 3 cakes so that doesn't really say much.

I used just enough icing to cover the cake to the point where you can't see the actual cake. In other words, a thin layer. And I let it sit for about 15ish minutes before applying fondant.
ginnyl 06/22/2011 12:13 PM
AidaLovetoBake27....Breath and welcome to the Forum...remember it's only cake and not rocket science..LOL
As posted, it's a matter of person preference as to frostings..I personally use bunnywoman's recipe but if I was in a real bind I would not hesitate to use a canned frosting...just make it a thin crumbcoat that you let sit for a while..
have fun and let's see the finished cake..
ginny~~~