skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: EASIEST way to make black fondant??
Created On Thursday November 04, 2010 12:38 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

nocakepro
Posted: Thursday November 04, 2010 12:38 PM

I don't much-doing a zebra striped cake-small. But should I just add the color into the soupy stage of the MMF? After making this-if it still has powdered sugar smudges-can I paint over it with a little water to remove those?

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Thursday November 04, 2010 12:50 PM

The easiest way to make black fondant in my opinion is, BUY IT!! If you are not going to be using a lot then this is the easiest method. If you are going to be needing a lot, I would add it when it is all done, not in the soupy stage. I hope this helps!!

Report Violation

Bottom

GrndMaCake
Posted: Thursday November 04, 2010 4:16 PM
View users profile

The only other thing I can think of is to airbrush it... but even watching others do that if you do that route, I would think you'd really need some experience to get the color right even this way so it isn't streaky.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday November 04, 2010 4:29 PM

Make chocolate MMF first and then add black coloring to that. It works better.

Report Violation

Bottom

m_mckinney1
Posted: Friday November 05, 2010 8:53 AM

I have made a full sized batch of bunnywoman's mmf in black before. I added probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the wilton jar of black paste to my marshmallows. I actually dumped my mm in, then added the water, then the paste, and stirred all before microwaving. It didn't turn completely black until the next day, though. And it stained my plastic bowl....

I have also tried making small amounts with adding the paste afterward, and kneading it in. I never achieved a true black color. When the mmf had dried it looked pretty black, but with a bit of purple-ish tint to it. IMO, the other way worked best, but maybe it's just me

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday November 05, 2010 9:29 AM

Missy if you start with chocolate first then you don't get that purplish effect.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Sunday November 07, 2010 1:10 AM

ponyjockey--I saw the topic title and said "Buy it!" (but you'd already beat me to it)

Same answer if someone says "EASIEST way to make red fondant??"

Report Violation

Bottom

dottiepark
Posted: Sunday November 07, 2010 9:06 AM
View users profile

I used Duff's red and black fondants from Michael's last night and I will NEVER ever try and make my own again. It handled beautifully, looks gorgeous, and even tastes good. Glad I had coupons, though, because it is expensive.

Report Violation

Bottom

carriejoy
Posted: Sunday November 07, 2010 1:25 PM
View users profile

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=143732
this might help.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Sunday November 07, 2010 5:46 PM

dottiepark: I've read recently in a lot of forums that Duff's fondant is just private labeled Fondarific . Example of one posting: "Duff’s fondant is just rebranded Fondarific that has been marked up 200%."

Fondarific offers samples: "Not sure which flavor to get for your next cake or do you just want to have a sampling? Each FREE sample pack includes two ounces each of Buttercream, Vanilla, Chocolate and two of your favorite flavors. All we ask is you pay $4.50 for shipping and $1.50 for handling. Thanks!"
Here's the link:
http://shop.fondarific.com/product.sc;jsessionid=1D8C6EDC2F578EFC7D0B4006FEEC146C.qscstrfrnt02?productId=16

Here's another thread, "Fondant samples (manufacturer of Duff's), if interested!"
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=138096

How large is a 2 ounce sample? Well if you were to cut a deck of cards in half, it is a little smaller than that size. For comparison, see the individual color packets in the Wilton ready-to-use box of Rolled Fondant Pastel Colors, Wilton Stock # 710-447. A box of the Wilton contains 4 packets, each 4.4 ounces per color, for $10.49.

Here's a link to more samples of Satin Ice and Fondarific for about $6 for 10 flavors of 1" square sizes:
http://www.cakesupplies4u.com/Products/Satin-Ice-Fondant-Sample-Kit__SISK1.aspx

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Sunday November 07, 2010 6:27 PM

Great minds think alike. The easiest is to BUY IT!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: