skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: How far in advance can you make and decorate cake?
my4pickles 10/26/2010 8:06 AM
I'll be making the cake for my Dad's 60th SURPRISE birthday party. My dilemma is I live 4 hours away and it's the Sat. after Thanksgiving, so I will be spending Thurs-Sun out of town at his house so I will need to make the cake either on Monday or Tuesday b/c it's going to be a deer head cake and I've never done one before so I need extra time in case I mess up So do you think it would taste awful that far in advance? Also I'm worried about setting the cake out and it going all greasy from the icing, like it greases the cake boards and turns gross! I use Wilton's buttercream recipe. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Vicky
mmumsie 10/26/2010 2:33 PM
If you cover the cake in fondant, it should be okay. The fondant helps to preserve the cake underneath. Most baked goods are best up to a couple of days. But, that doesn't mean people don't continue to eat them past that time.

You should definitely cover the cake board with decorative foil so you won't have the 'grease ring' from the icing.
my4pickles 10/26/2010 7:38 PM
I've never done fondant and I'm really scared to do it, so that isn't an option right now (too nervous!), so what do you think w/out the fondant, too long to sit out? I don't want 50 people to think man that cake was awful, know what I mean?
mmumsie 10/26/2010 8:17 PM
Generally a couple of days, unless it’s covered in fondant.
* It depends on what ingredients are in the icing, and if the cake has fillings between the layers.
* If the ingredients require refrigeration, then that’s what needs to happen. The cake may be boxed, but DO NOT wrap it. You don’t want to destroy all your hard work! Just place an open box of baking soda in the frig to absorb all the phantom “funky” odors.
* A decorated cake can sit out for a couple of days without much of a problem, except colors may start to “bleed” into each other. Meringue Powder added to your icing will slow the process down a bit, but I like to avoid adding it if at all possible.