skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Camo technique on cake ?
Created On Friday October 15, 2010 11:17 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

mwitt07
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 11:17 AM

I am doing a cake for my SIL's boyfriend this weekend. He is a hunter and I thought I would make a cake with a camo pattern on the side of the cake. I have never done this before but thought this would work. I plan on icing the entire cake a light green color and leave the top green with a black deer silhouette. On the sides I just plan on piping various patterns with different colors randomlyand then wait for it to crust and smooth with the Viva towel. Will this method work or should I try something else?

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 11:40 AM

Sure, it will work. Another thing that you could do is smooth your icing as you go with a very small piece of thin plastic. Have you ever noticed the see-thur cake bands on filled cakes in the bakery departments? It's that type of plastic that I use. I cut them in about an inch piece. Any kind of flat, food-grade plastic would work.

What kind of cake are you making? If it's a yellow or white cake, you could camouflage your batter as well. Make a little of your batter chocolate, a little green, drop some orange food color into the yellow/white batter, add the chocolate and green in globs all over the batter, and swirl to marble. It's really neat, and quite a surprise when the cake is cut. I love it!!

Good luck with your cake!
~Sugar Pie

Report Violation

Bottom

mwitt07
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 11:45 AM

Thanks for the advise. It's actually going to be a chocolate cake but that would have been nice though.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 12:25 PM

When I made my nephew's tank cake, I made up 4 shades of green, one chocolate and one tan and placed them all in piping bags with round tips. I didn't crumb coat the cake and I was using a chocolate 6 inch round on top of a stacked 9 x 13 pound cake.

I started off piping an outline of one color and then zigzagging back and forth to fill it in. That took FOREVER!!! After I did about 5 of those type of sections, I said forget that ! I started using a glob of icing on a small elbow spatula and spackling it on in sections, but always keeping it touching. So that means I was picking up a different color each time.

I let that crust a bit and then smoothed it all over with a Viva towel and a roller on top, but had to use my hands around the base since I had carved it. The colors came together perfectly! The edges were seamless and there weren't any "worm lines" from the piped sections like I feared.

It was very time consuming, but the end result was great. Can't wait to see yours!

Report Violation

Bottom

mwitt07
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 3:18 PM

I saw a tutorial on cake central that suggested doing a light crumb coat and then do the camouflage with all the colors. I wanted to ice the entire cake the color that the top would be and then add the other colors to the sides. Will this be too much icing? I always use a icer tip so should I take most of the icing off the sides before adding the camo colors?

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 6:17 PM

Chasey can you post a picture of your cake? I want to do an Army cake for my student worker in December before he goes to boot camp. I was thinking of outlining and filling in with piping bags then smoothing, but sounds like you did that and it was more tedious. I'll have to give your method a try.

Report Violation

Bottom

KTB
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 7:10 PM

I did a rehearsal cake pretty much the same way as Chasey. Started off piping it all in and then switched to the spatula - SO much faster! I thought this cake would be way less time consuming htan it was. It took ages but turned out pretty well.

I'll try to dig up a picture of mine N8sMom

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 7:33 PM

Thanks KTB!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Smwolfe
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 7:44 PM

I did a camo cake for my sister's husband. I just star tipped different colors. I used the small 3-D bear pan and made it into a person then camo-ed his uniform/body.

Report Violation

Bottom

Smwolfe
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 7:46 PM

This is what I did. I don't work with fondant and his arms should have been made out of fondant. I made his hat out of foam.

Report Violation

Bottom

Smwolfe
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 7:49 PM

Forgot the file

34158_404533407049_723422049_5101573_1067914_n.jpg 34158_404533407049_723422049_5101573_1067914_n.jpg  (57 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

my4babies
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 10:17 PM
View users profile

I recently made this army tank cake using fondant. I tinted the fondant with leaf green, then worked in brown to give it the army color. I wish I had added a bit more brown then lightly taffy-pulled it to give it a marbled look but did not figure that technique out until later instead I brushed cocoa powder to mimic dirt. The smash cake I did with the star tip. Hope it helps!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/album.php?aid=30659&id=100000742104087

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Saturday October 16, 2010 11:17 AM

Thank you everyone for sharing your pictures of wonderful cakes!!! I'm not sure on the exact design yet. He doesn't leave until January 4th so I have time. I am leaning more to a tank cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

KTB
Posted: Saturday October 16, 2010 7:40 PM

N8sMom - apparently I didn't take a picture of the cake :( probably since i was so stressed about the actual wedding cake and the rehearsal cake was sort of last minute. Sorry.

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Tuesday November 13, 2012 12:29 PM
View users profile

So if you use the spatula technique - do you dollup a couple of tablespoons at a time of one color and then smooth it a bit with the spatula and then move onto another color and so on...

Thanks so much!!! Emily

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: