skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Does buttercream have to be refrigerated?
Created On Friday October 01, 2010 2:12 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

zinger60
Posted: Friday October 01, 2010 2:12 PM

I posted earlier about getting information on selling cake items from my home in Indiana. Well, I found out that I CAN sell baked items that I make in my home but I can only sell them at a farmer's market or roadside stands. If I want to make items such as wedding cakes and deliver them, I would have to use a kitchen in something like an VFW or Elk's club. I can take orders for items but the customers would have to pick them up at the farmer's market. Sound's kind of silly to me but that's the way it is. Now to my question...the law says you can only sell items that do not need refrigeration. I have heard so many different opinions on whether any item with buttercream needs to be refrigerated. I have heard some say that because it has butter, it does need to be. Others say that cakes and items with buttercream can be left out for 5 days. Does anyone know where I would find out the answer for sure? I normally make my frosting with 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening and milk for the liquid, but could do with water if I had to. If I find that the buttercream has to be refrigerated, does anyone know of a really good frosting recipe without butter?

Report Violation

Bottom

kimber300
Posted: Friday October 01, 2010 2:43 PM
View users profile

if you use milk then yes you need to refrigerated. Just substitute water for milk and then it can sit out for 5 days. I use bunnywoman's buttercream recipe. It is to die for and really easy to make. I used to live in Indiana so I know how hot and humid it can get there. When the weather is humid I would just use all shortning instead of butter. You can do that with bunnywoman's recipe or any recipe that you use. Her recipe is posted on the recipe forum if you want to give it a try.

Report Violation

Bottom

zinger60
Posted: Friday October 01, 2010 3:35 PM

Thanks! Is there an area on this forum that just lists individuals recipes? I can't seem to find the recipes for Bunnywoman's frostings. I had read she has other ones besides the buttercream, such as one's that use coffee creamer but I can find them even when I do a search.

Report Violation

Bottom

paula0712
Posted: Friday October 01, 2010 3:52 PM
View users profile

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=132579

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Friday October 01, 2010 6:02 PM

To be safe, I would check with your local health department. The can guide you as to public food safety in the specific conditions of delivery, storage and recipe/ingredients used. Most bc recipes are safe outside of refrigeration to a point but time, ingredients, and environmental conditions are all factors!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: