skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: question about nbr. of servings from a cake
Created On Thursday September 30, 2010 6:55 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

chefjonms
Posted: Thursday September 30, 2010 6:55 AM
View users profile

Something in the wedding serving chart and party serving chart doesn't make sense to me.
It says a sheet pan 9 X 13 serves 45 people. Suggested serving size is 1.5 X 2. This would be a quarter sheet cake.

Then how do you get 45 pieces out of a 9 X 13 cake?

Every where else I read on the web says a quarter sheet cake serves 15 to 20 or 12 to 28 depending on the size you cut. Suggestion was 2 x 2. Now that's only 1/2 inch bigger than what the party chart says.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Thursday September 30, 2010 10:15 AM
View users profile

The charts are based on two layers of cake. If your cake is only one layer, you get about 1/2 of what the chart says. Single layer cakes have wider cuts, double layer cakes are cut skinnier because they are taller. I hope this makes sense.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Thursday September 30, 2010 10:51 AM
View users profile

I still get confused too after all these years. My Wilton chart for party servings says it's for 2" deep pans and under the #servings 2 layer category, it says a 9 x 13 is 28 servings. So, one is to assume then that a 2 layer cake serves 28. It doesn't say anything about a single layer (even if it's split) serving 28. So now, everyone says that if it's a double layer it serves double that amount because the cake is taller. I understand the reasoning for cutting the pieces different, but no wonder it's confusing when it clearly states that it's for a 2 layer cake. In that respect then, I've been doing 1/2 sheets double layer to match the same height of the wedding cake tiers and telling them that it serves about 50 and instead it should serve 100?
No wonder new bakers get confused. This old baker gets confused too.

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Thursday September 30, 2010 10:57 AM

Here is the cutting guide that shows how you can get the number of servings:

Sheet Cake
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/party-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

Other Cakes
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/party-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Thursday September 30, 2010 1:03 PM
View users profile

Cakes06. Per the Wilton party chart a 2 layer 9X13 serves 45. I say a 9X13 single layer serves 24 if u cut 2X2 pieces. I say a single layer 12X18 serves 54 two by two pieces so yes, a double layer half she would definitely serve more than 50.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Thursday September 30, 2010 2:32 PM

sorta on topic, not the math, but the sizes (examples of serving sizes made out of paper)

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=142470&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: