skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: anyone ever make butter cream with margarine and shortening not butter?
Bunnie 09/14/2010 10:41 AM
my father in law gets most of my cakes. and he has heart issues, so he really shouldnt be eating all that butter and shortening. but if we keep him supplied in cake, he doesnt smoke much. go figure.
just wondering if anyones tried margarine instead of butter in buttercream and what the results were.
BlackWidowNor 09/14/2010 10:44 AM
Margarine is essentially oil and water. Not something that makes a good buttercream.
my4babies 09/14/2010 11:27 AM
Trading one evil for another, huh?! If I had to choose I would go with iced cakes as well!!! Lol! My family does not like the taste of real butter at all, so I use stick margarine and shortening for all the cakes I have made with great success. I usually do not need to add as much milk so that it will stay more firm. I always get compliments on my icing and I love the taste of it too! I know most people say that real butter is the only way to go, my mother in law is one of them, but she raves about my icing without knowing it is margarine!! wink,wink Give it a try and let me know what you think!
ladycatisadiva 09/14/2010 11:30 AM
Hey there....well it seems like it's time for another experiment. I do know that some have made it with margarine. I think it will be just fine, maybe a little softer, because it really does not get hard, but I think it will work. Maybe tweak it a little......keep trying let us know how it comes out That is is you try it.
Dustbunny 09/14/2010 12:06 PM
I made a batch with just margarine (no shortening) this weekend and it was fine. I added quite a bit of butter flavoring and to tell you the truth I can't tell the difference. I did have to add more 10X sugar than usual to get the consistency I wanted, but other than that, no problem.
Bunnie 09/14/2010 12:10 PM
hmm.. maybe i will experiment.... hmm....

the cake i have cooling im wanting to do a fbct for the first time, so i dont want to screw around with that and a margarine based buttercream, because if it doesnt work, i wont know what to blame!
but ill definatly have to try and make the next cake with margarine butter cream instead.. ill definatly post my results
Sugar Pie 09/14/2010 12:18 PM
Hey, ladycatisadiva! You're back~I've missed you!!

It was I who was in the buttercream experiment awhile back. Margarine was an ingredient ~ I came in last. :( Ha!! I use Great Value brand margarine, and it actually has a pretty good flavor. You'll have to check it out. Since ladycat's experiment, I almost always use butter. I think of that experiment EVERYTIME my hand reaches for the margarine at Walmart's!

I'm actually not a margarine fan. I only used it in my buttercream b/c that was what was requested. I never use margarine for anything else.
Why would margarine be better for him? I don't understand.
dottiepark 09/14/2010 12:39 PM
Here's a couple of alternatives: angel food cake or 7-minute frosting. Both are fat-free.
Bunnie 09/14/2010 1:24 PM
hes supposed to give up butter and use becel befcause its heart smart. he has had 2 heart attacks. which is (just one of the) reasons he has to give up smoking. but he enjoys SOMETHING after dinner. if i make a cake for practice, my kids each get 1 piece, and he gets the rest. he took my 1/2 slab cake, but it into pieces and froze them so he could have cake whenever he wanted, on top of what i give him.

its all a fat thing. plus, since my kids are young i dont want them eatinga ton of fat either. so i just wondered. and margarine is cheaper than butter, at least where i live.
ladycatisadiva 09/14/2010 1:35 PM
Hey Sugar Pie,

Yes, I'm back. I've missed you all a lot. Oh yes, the GV Margarine. Ummm yes I do remember. I honestly think it was the type of margarine, you know being GV. I think Country Crock or Parkay would have had a better taste to it.

But, if all we had to use was a GV margarine, trust me, we would figure out how to make it taste good one way or another.

But with everything put aside, butter and Hi-Ratio is better.
sweetgrandma 09/14/2010 2:16 PM
Welcome back my friend Ladycat! It's so good to have you back on the forums...I hope you're here to stay..you've been sorely missed!
sweetde 09/14/2010 8:05 PM
I have made all my buttercream icing with becel margarine. Butter is too expencive for my pockets. BUT I'm just doing cakes for me and family. I have no problem with the taste but never made a truew butter butercream icing

Never had a problem with it crusting either.
furball 09/14/2010 8:54 PM
I've used it one time in a pinch. The icing was a little softer than I liked. It tasted fine.
Sugar Pie 09/16/2010 9:57 AM
I was at Walmart yesterday ~ checking out the margarine. Ha!!
I didn't realize that margarine has transfats in it. Did anyone else realize this? CountryCrock has 2 g. The Walmart brand has a little higher count, but I can't remember what it was.
Ladycat, I purchased some CountryCrock to try out the flavor. I've always liked the flavor of GV brand. I'll let you know what I think about it ~ if I can actually taste the difference. I did notice that it doesn't have too much of a yellow color.
Anywho.....
riverchild 09/16/2010 12:18 PM
When I first started out I used Blue Bonnet margarine. It actually tasted pretty good and I didn't have a problem decorating with it either........then I tried Bunnywoman's icing recipe and didn't use margarine again. It was softer than using all butter, but I learned to use less liquid. It will be worth trying her recipe with 1/2 margarine, 1/2 real butter what with the cost of butter and everything else going up. Butter went up almost $1.00 this past week and the eggs went up almost a dollar as well. Cake mixes went up 16 cents as well. This is another topic I know, but if they don't go back down within 3 weeks I'm going to have to raise my prices.
bunnywoman 09/16/2010 5:29 PM
I took my last Wilton class with my best friend and her MIL and sister. We had an absolute BLAST!! Our instructor was telling us to use real butter in our buttercream icing if we so chose to do a 50/50 blend (which is why I came up with my own recipe.)

ANyway......the "MIL" in the class got into an argument with our instructor about how she is not changing her recipe and that she uses her Grandma's Icing recipe exclusively. It calls for Parkay margarine. She maintains it is the best. I tasted hers at class and I was really not impressed, but everyone's taste buds are different.

It is what works for her. I am a butter kind of gal and that works for my needs.