skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Modeling Chocolate Question
Created On Friday September 03, 2010 8:02 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

cpeffer
Posted: Friday September 03, 2010 8:02 AM

Does anyone know if they sell modeling chocolate at Michaels, Jo-Ann's or Hobby Lobby? Or where would be the best place to purchase this?

Report Violation

Bottom

peg
Posted: Friday September 03, 2010 8:26 AM

Don't know where to buy it, but its easy enough to make. Just 16 oz chocolate to 1/3 cup corn syrup.

Look for candy clay, recipe in the the recipe section of this site and it should give you the measurements for the wilton candy melt bag size

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Friday September 03, 2010 1:39 PM

I agree with peg !!

Here's the link !!
http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Candy-Clay-1

Report Violation

Bottom

coloradogirl
Posted: Friday September 03, 2010 2:26 PM

I'd like to point out that modeling chocolate and candy clay are two different things. But yes they are both pretty easy to make. Also, different types of chocolate (dark, milk, white) require different amounts of corn syrup. Here is a link for modeling chocolate

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/MODELING-CHOCOLATE-1230009

Report Violation

Bottom

cpeffer
Posted: Friday September 03, 2010 6:35 PM

Thank you so much for the quick responses, I will be making some for a wedding cake I will be doing at the end of the month.

Report Violation

Bottom

relentrio
Posted: Friday September 03, 2010 7:53 PM

I never knew you could make your own modeling chocolate.. Is it easy to work with? what projects do you use it for??

Report Violation

Bottom

cpeffer
Posted: Friday September 03, 2010 9:52 PM

relentrio this will be my first time using it, I will be using it on a redneck wedding cake that is due September 25th. Needed to have a mud slide going down the side of the wedding cake. What better to use than modeling chocolate.

Report Violation

Bottom

pegalter
Posted: Saturday September 04, 2010 10:49 AM

You can buy modeling chocolate at www.chocolatecraftkits.com

Report Violation

Bottom

cpeffer
Posted: Saturday September 04, 2010 3:00 PM

pegalter the fabulous people here on this forum has told me how to make my own modeling chocolate and really cant wait to give it a try. but thank your for the information I will visit the page and save it to my favorites.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Saturday September 04, 2010 7:24 PM

One thing that I need to stress here about when you make your own homemade modeling chocolate/candy clay.......

This HAS to rest overnight. You can not make up a batch and use it right away. It needs time to solidify somewhat so that you can form it into whatever you want to use it for.

Report Violation

Bottom

cravincake
Posted: Tuesday September 14, 2010 12:26 AM

bunnywoman - do you let it rest overnight in the fridge or on the counter, and in a covered container? thx

Report Violation

Bottom

cpeffer
Posted: Tuesday September 14, 2010 7:55 PM

Yes Bunnywoman do you have to let it rest overnight in the fridge or can it rest out on the counter as long as it is covered?

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday September 14, 2010 8:13 PM

Covered on the countertop.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday September 15, 2010 6:46 AM

Thanks for the original question and answers. I'm with Relentrio, what projects do you use it for? Is it a substitute for fondant? Does it taste better than fondant?

Report Violation

Bottom

clarefg
Posted: Wednesday September 15, 2010 11:46 AM

what is modeling chocolate used for? Is it comparable to fondant? or gumpaste? That leads me to a question about mmf. When you want to use it for flowers, do you add gum tex to it?. I made some orchids the other night using bunny's mmf and it doesn't seem to want to dry hard. In fact, I touched one of the leaves and it broke off very easily. I don't know if they are going to hold up. I think I'll have to re-do them with fresh gumpaste. The reason that I used the mmf was because it seemed to be whiter than the gumpaste I had that had yellowed. I made some gumpaste out of the Wilton rolled fondant and gum tex. After a few days, it yellowed. Is that normal? Sorry, I'm going off in different directions. Any help???

Report Violation

Bottom

cpeffer
Posted: Wednesday September 15, 2010 8:14 PM

Bunnywoman thanks for the quick response...I will try to make some this weekend. clarefg I am making a redneck wedding cake and need to have a mud slide going down the side of the cake. It is the best option for me use. I have to do fondant flowers and cover the cake with butter cream. I also have to attach a truck to the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

cpeffer
Posted: Saturday September 18, 2010 10:15 AM

How far in advance can I make this modeling chocolate? I was going to make it today and let it rest until Friday...is that to long to wait?

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: