skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Cake board in between tiers stacked cake?
JulDeV 08/23/2010 11:08 AM
Ok so a friend of mine always has the same fellow do her cakes, they are Puerto Rican and do the traditional Puerto Rican cake, which I have no clue how to make but anyway....he did a stacked cake for her wedding with simple whipped frosting and I was shocked that he had put a cake board under the top layer/tier? When she removed the top layer to serve the bottom there was no frosting left.... I have made a few stacked cakes just for fun and have never done this. I simply do the dowels. Does anyone else think this is odd??
whoknew? 08/23/2010 11:22 AM
In the Wilton courses and recently, at the ICES International Cake Convention, everybody puts a cardboard cake circle under every 4" cake layer. If you don't put the cardboard, the cakes can sink into the layer below. You also need a cardboard between each 4" high layer so the top-most layer can be removed and set on the table for cutting slices, then the next, and so on.

As far as the layer taking a huge patch of frosting/fondant with it when removed--that's a different problem. My Wilton instructor recommended two things: 1) sprinkle coconut flakes on the top of the cake before you place the next layer on top. That way when you remove the top layer, only the coconut sticks to the cake board. However, I've read online that you must be very, very careful that everyone eating the cake knows about the coconut in case of allergies! 2) the one I personally like better is to cut a piece of saran wrap the size of your cake board for the cake going on top and lay that down first, then put your layer on top.

MaryEllis 08/23/2010 11:48 AM
You can also sprinkle a layer of powdered sugar before you lay the board down
N8sMom96 08/23/2010 12:32 PM
I don't think it's odd. Without the boards, the dowels have nothing to support. I do not use the cardboard ones anymore. I use the plastic separators that go with the hidden pillars. The lock into the pillars and helps the layers from slipping especially if you have to transport. When I did use the boards. I just wrapped it in plastic wrap. I also use a crusting buttercream which does not stick to the boards like whipped icing.
hartleyflats 08/26/2010 11:06 PM
I wonder...could you use the cardboard under the top tier and leave the wooden dowels a smidge bigger than the bottom tier and use buttercream shells or rolled fondant balls to hide the tiny gap? This would stop anything from sticking. Would rolled fondant stick to the cardboard, does anyone know?
mmumsie 08/26/2010 11:11 PM
I dust the bottom of my cake board with powdered sugar before placing on top of my crust cake. When I remove it for serving, the icing is intact.