skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Clean Pastry Bags
Created On Sunday August 15, 2010 4:03 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

sueski
Posted: Sunday August 15, 2010 4:03 PM

Does anyone know the best way to clean a featherweight pastry bag, besides an old fashioned hand washing?

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

kimber300
Posted: Sunday August 15, 2010 4:09 PM
View users profile

turn it inside out and then cloths pin it to the rack of your dishwasher. Works good for that and for baseball caps.

Report Violation

Bottom

sueski
Posted: Sunday August 15, 2010 4:56 PM

That's a great idea--thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Sunday August 15, 2010 6:25 PM

Nope, I hand wash mine every time! Hot water and Dawn Dish Washing Detergent!!

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Sunday August 15, 2010 6:40 PM
View users profile

love the disposables!

Report Violation

Bottom

cutedoggie
Posted: Sunday August 15, 2010 6:55 PM

To get most of the icing off stick in it the freezer and the icing will flake off or just fall off. After that turn it inside out and either hand or machine wash.

Report Violation

Bottom

clarefg
Posted: Monday August 16, 2010 3:31 PM

The best tip I've ever gotten is about piping buttercream using what's called frosting "plugs" in your pastry bags. I will never fill a pastry bag with buttercream again without using the plug method. What you do is take a sheet of plastic wrap and lay it flat on your counter, fill it with some buttercream frosting (not too much), then wrap the plastic wrap around the frosting. Spread the frosting out a little to make sort of a fat sausage. You should have two ends of plastic wrap which you twist to tighten. Put a coupler into your pastry bag, then feed the plug into the bag until the end of the plastic wrap comes out of the coupler and the frosting is sitting neatly in the inside of the coupler. Snip off the plastic wrap at the end of the coupler, add your tip and screw on the ring and you are ready to pipe. You can do this with lots of colors and only use one or two bags. There is very little to clean up using this method except for just a little buttercream at the end of the bag and coupler and of course, the tip. Before I learned this method, I was spending so much money on the disposable bags. Now I have a few reusable bags and only use them with the plastic wrap. Hope you try this. I love it.

Report Violation

Bottom

rpropst
Posted: Monday August 16, 2010 4:00 PM

Its just me & Dawn

Report Violation

Bottom

mrstrucker
Posted: Tuesday August 17, 2010 3:43 AM

What a fantastic idea clarefg! I was making a cake the other day that used a tad bit of brown, a tad bit of blue, etc and had to keep washing out my disposable bags so that I could change colors...what a pain in the toosh. I'll definitely have to try that "plug" trick next time!

And I was my bags out by hand using hot water and liquid dishwashing soap too.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Tuesday August 17, 2010 6:51 AM

I hand wash also, BUT, I purposely leave the buttercream to dry/crust over, & when it is, I shake the bag over the garbage bin, which get rid of most of it & then I wash it in hot soapy water !!

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Tuesday August 17, 2010 6:52 AM

oops - I forgot !! I use Dawn as well !!

Report Violation

Bottom

sueski
Posted: Tuesday August 17, 2010 11:28 AM

clarefg - Brilliant idea!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post what you do! Love it! I'll definitely be trying that for myself! =)

Thank you everyone else for your tips and tricks, too! I know we all want to minimize our handwashing duties! ;)

Report Violation

Bottom

jtdavies
Posted: Tuesday August 17, 2010 3:59 PM
View users profile

I haven't tried the plug method yet but saw it on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgjW8bOb84s

I like the idea of using multiple plugs to combine colors.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: