skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: making grass...what tip to use if I don't have the grass tip?
Created On Thursday August 05, 2010 6:27 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

Susie_Q
Posted: Thursday August 05, 2010 6:27 PM

Would a tip 1 or 2 work? 3 maybe? I'm decorating the cake saturday so don't really have time to run out and find the grass tip. Thanks for your help.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Thursday August 05, 2010 6:30 PM

I guess it could work, but what a pain in the keester!!! Tip 233 is a time saver and gives a brilliant effect. Worth the run to the store to purchase!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Thursday August 05, 2010 7:38 PM

I agree! If this helps to convince you, that tip is great for hair and fur! I use it all the time, I also like it because I think its very fun to use but thats just me :o)

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday August 05, 2010 7:51 PM

I would drop everything and make a run to the nearest cake supply store.

Using a tip 1 or 2 would work but would make me go BLIND!!!! LOL! Especially if I had a huge area to cover. For the $1.29 investment in the tip 233 would certainly save my sanity and my hair!!! LOL!

Report Violation

Bottom

Susie_Q
Posted: Thursday August 05, 2010 8:02 PM

LOL. I was thinking it would be a pain using a tip 1 or 2. Theres no cake supply store near by and the nearest Micheals and Hobby Lobby are over an hour away, if they carry that tip. I doubt Wal mart has that tip? *sigh* Now I don't know what to do. Anyone one have any suggestions on what I could do instead of grass? Here's a picture of the cake I want to make...except the 5 on the cake is going to be a 2. Thanks for any help you can give.

Report Violation

Bottom

Susie_Q
Posted: Thursday August 05, 2010 8:04 PM

Well a picture would probably help.

race car 2.JPG race car 2.JPG  (22 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

Bre'scakemomma
Posted: Thursday August 05, 2010 8:04 PM

MY WALMART HAS HAD IT BEFORE..in a 3 pack, hope this helps, good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

chefjonms
Posted: Thursday August 05, 2010 8:14 PM
View users profile

Wow SusieQ, that's a lot of grass to make even with tip 233! The only other thing that came to mind is if you have one of those cookie presses, I think one of the cutters is similar to a 233 tip

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday August 05, 2010 8:18 PM

DITTO! Check Wally World! Mine had it too!!!! If all else fails I would be calling anyone in the area that decorates cakes and see if I couldn't borrow it for the day.

Do you have a clay gun??????????????? That might work. Green fondant, snip it off and attach with green buttercream.

Report Violation

Bottom

Susie_Q
Posted: Thursday August 05, 2010 9:02 PM

Well, it looks like I'll be going to walmart tomorrow. I know they never had it before but they recently changed their wilton section so maybe they have it now. Still looking for any other suggestions in case I can't find it. Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Thursday August 05, 2010 9:47 PM

Even Shopko has some Wilton supplies. I would let your fingers do the walking first and track the tip down in the right store. Saving you gas and time.

Here are a few other ideas. Pulled stars for grass? Tip 16. Mix in a few 352 leaves? Make boulders out of fondant. Crushed vanilla wafers for dirt, or a piping gel pond near by! Now you've got me really going! LOL

Report Violation

Bottom

greyldfocks63
Posted: Friday August 06, 2010 12:02 AM

I would also check out Wal-Mart. If they don't have it maybe green colored coconut?

Report Violation

Bottom

Susie_Q
Posted: Friday August 06, 2010 6:13 AM

Good ideas mmumsie, thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

dottiepark
Posted: Friday August 06, 2010 7:50 AM
View users profile

You could pipe a few tedious clumps of tip 2 or 3 grass, then surround them with "dirt."

Report Violation

Bottom

cq75
Posted: Friday August 06, 2010 8:36 AM

Would you be comfortable with coloring flaked coconut green and sprinkling it on a smooth iced green area for your "grass"? That's what my mom always did. People who don't like coconut can scrape off the flakes.

mmumsie- love the dirt and rock pile idea!

Report Violation

Bottom

myna102
Posted: Friday August 06, 2010 9:16 AM

maybe you could borrow one from a cake decorating store, or bakery, i have one by me that lets you rent pans.

Report Violation

Bottom

myna102
Posted: Friday August 06, 2010 9:18 AM

or maybe laying some butter cream down and lifting with a toothpick or something bigger

Report Violation

Bottom

CollectorEJ
Posted: Friday August 06, 2010 10:29 AM
View users profile

Lay down a layer of green buttercream and use a spatula to pull up the frosting to make it look like grass. That is what I've done when I don't want to spend the time to make grass with the grass tip.

Report Violation

Bottom

Susie_Q
Posted: Friday August 06, 2010 1:07 PM

Thanks everyone. I could not find the grass tip anywhere today, but I got alot of great ideas. Just have to decide which one to do.

Report Violation

Bottom

Felicia's
Posted: Friday August 06, 2010 8:46 PM
View users profile

I would go with the pull out star tip 16. Then maybe do a few tip 1 or 2 pull outs for more individualized grass blades.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: