skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: 1" high or less round cake on top of a rectangle cake...do I need to put support...
Created On Tuesday June 15, 2010 7:33 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

hunnybee
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 7:33 AM

dowels and a board under the cake? I have done stacked cakes before but they have been 4" high and I know that they need to be supported when stacking. I am making a 1" high or less round cake (b/c I will have extra batter left over from the larger cake) to go on top of a 9x13 cake. The round cake will be shaped like a lily pad and I have made two 3-d frogs to put on top of the pad. So, do you think I need to support the small round (the lily pad) ontop of the 9x13 cake?

Thanks a bunch for your help!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 8:44 AM

Interesting timing with your post because I am facing the same situation when making a tank cake for this weekend. I was going to put my 6 inch round on top of my 9 x 13, but now I think I will cut the 9 x 13 in half and then stack the round on top. In my case, I think I should put the round on a cake circle with dowels in the two layers below.

I have always read on these cake boards that we should dowel and use cakeboards for every tier that equals 4 inches in height.

In your case, stacking a one or two inch layer on top of one or two inches makes me think you don't need it if following the above advice. Maybe if the lily pad ended up being a full tier (2 cake layers) then the weight of it would need supporting? Or if the bottom cake was thicker than one layer, would that make it want support? Gaah! I could drive myself crazy with "should I?" kind of questions.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 8:46 AM

No you don't need support for a one inch cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 10:13 AM

I'm with Sweetgrandma on this. Stacking a single layer cake on top of another single layer cake is no difference than doing a party cake with 2 layers and a filling.

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 10:14 AM

Sorry, meant different. They really need to have an edit option.

Report Violation

Bottom

hunnybee
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 10:25 AM

The 9x13 cake will be double layer and the 1" or less cake will be a single layer (no filling).

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 11:06 AM
View users profile

You'll still be ok. That portion of the cake will be 3 layers high. You can put a board under it and serve it separately, but I think I'd just let it go. 1" isn't going to add much weight to the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

momascooking
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 11:50 AM

I just did 2 small baby shower cakes tiered. I did put each layer on it's own board with straws underneath for serving purposes. I think it would not be a necessity but your preference.

Report Violation

Bottom

momascooking
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 11:52 AM

I might add that it was easier for me to smooth the different size layers separtely.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: