skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: has anyone ever made decorated dog cookies?
Created On Thursday June 10, 2010 4:49 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

stephilde
Posted: Thursday June 10, 2010 4:49 PM
View users profile

This may be a little off topic for these boards but I thought I would try I have an opportunity to make dog cookies decorated to look like people cookies I am trying to figure out the best icing to use. I have read that royal icing and fondant are not harmful but I would rather make it from yogurt or carrob. I am trying to figure out a yogurt recipe or something that will dry and set up like royal icing. Anyone have any ideas? I was also thinking about taking cornstarch and subbing that for most of the powdered sugar in royal icing- do you think that would work?

thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Thursday June 10, 2010 5:03 PM

Never tried it, but here is a recipe I found for dogs.

White Carob Icing

3 cups white carob chips**
1 tsp. vegetable oil
Food coloring or 1 tablespoon vegetable powder for coloring (see below)

Directions: Melt carob chips in double boiler or microwave and add vegetable oil and coloring. Treats can be dipped in icing or icing can be piped or applied with a pastry brush. Place on waxed paper to cool.

For natural coloring, use:
Turmeric for yellow icing
Beet powder for pink icing
Spinach powder for green icing

**White carob chips have been found in health food stores but lately, I've been getting emails from people who just can't seem to find them anywhere. I looked around and I couldn't find any online either but I did find a suggestion that may work--someone on a message board suggested a substitution of Vitakraft Yogurt Drops for Dogs. You can find them here and probably at a lot of pet stores: Vitakraft Healthy Snack Drops, Yogurt

Report Violation

Bottom

coloradogirl
Posted: Thursday June 10, 2010 5:03 PM

I would go with a recipe made just for dogs. I found this one by googling 'dog treat icing'

White Carob Icing

3 cups white carob chips**
1 tsp. vegetable oil
Food coloring or 1 tablespoon vegetable powder for coloring (see below)

Directions: Melt carob chips in double boiler or microwave and add vegetable oil and coloring. Treats can be dipped in icing or icing can be piped or applied with a pastry brush. Place on waxed paper to cool.

For natural coloring, use:
Turmeric for yellow icing
Beet powder for pink icing
Spinach powder for green icing

Here is the website where I found it.

http://www.doggiebistro.com/Free_Homemade_Dog_Treat_Recipes.html#icing

I haven't made it but it sounds like it would work for you. By the way, if you are looking for a cookie recipe my dogs loved the gingerbread cookies I made for them at Christmas time. Even my mom's very picky dogs loved them. I tried one to and it tasted just like a regular gingerbread cookie. Sorry, but I don't remember where I got the recipe.

Gingerbread Dog Treats.doc Gingerbread Dog Treats.doc  (32 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

coloradogirl
Posted: Thursday June 10, 2010 5:04 PM

Hahaha I guess mmumsie and I where on the same page.

Report Violation

Bottom

stephilde
Posted: Friday June 11, 2010 7:30 AM
View users profile

ya, i went to whole foods and found carrob powder and carrob chips but not white carrob. So I was trying to figure out a white icing. From what I have read yogurt is the way to go, but i cant figure out how to make a yogurt icing that dries up hard and or is non perishable (if any yogurt icings at all). I found one recipe that said it was a yogurt candy coating but it turned out kind of a wierd consistency and after 2 days still isnt completely dry. thats why i was trying to see if i culd come up with some sort of royal icing alternative by subbing out ingredients. I found yogurt powder online and was thinking maybe i could use that instead of powdered sugar. I dont know. I guess i need to mess with it and test it out. but i would hate to spend $15 on a bag of yogurt powder and it not work.

Thanks for the ideas! I am gonna keep looking for white carrob too

Report Violation

Bottom

KipWaltonson
Posted: Saturday December 18, 2010 7:47 PM

I found that you really need to use products designed for dogs. Carob chips are loaded with sugar and fat and not healthy for dogs. I use natural yogurt icing that I found at www.k9cakery.com. It dries hard and works great!

Report Violation

Bottom

*SweetBee*
Posted: Sunday December 19, 2010 1:46 AM
View users profile

White chocolate is safe for dogs, or so I've read online. You may want to do a little research yourself though just to be sure. I found information on this site

http://www.k9magazinefree.com/k9_perspective/iss1p24.shtml

Hope that helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

BlackWidowNor
Posted: Sunday December 19, 2010 4:10 PM
View users profile

The ingredient in Chocolate that is bad for dogs is the actual cocoa. White "chocolate" isn't really chocolate by definition as it has no cocoa.

Report Violation

Bottom

cutedoggie
Posted: Sunday December 19, 2010 6:32 PM

The following is a list of foods that you shouldn't feed your pet. It was published in Parade Magazine several years ago. The list is from one of the American Veterinarian's professional associations.

I clipped it out and keep it on my fridge for when I have a pet sitter while I travel.

NEVER feed your pet ...

1. Alcohol
2. Apple Cores
3. Avocado
4. Bones
5. Caffeine
6. Cheese
7. Chocolate
8. Dough
9. Fat
10. Garlic
11. Grapes