skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Gluten-free thoughts?
Created On Tuesday May 11, 2010 1:15 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

GracieMakesCakes
Posted: Tuesday May 11, 2010 1:15 PM

Hello! My friend is severely allergic to gluten, and I want to make him a cake. I found a box of gluten-free mix, but what about icing? Is the Wilton buttercream recipe and gel colors completely free of gluten?

Thanks!!

Report Violation

Bottom

BooBear
Posted: Tuesday May 11, 2010 1:36 PM

As long as your icing sugar is gluten free (and I think that most is), and the shortening (if you choose to use shortening) is gluten free I think that you should be good. Butter is gluten free. I have done some gluten-free decorating and never had a problem with the Wilton colors. Though, just to be absolutely certain that no harm will be done you could just do a pretty frosting border around the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

GracieMakesCakes
Posted: Tuesday May 11, 2010 1:39 PM

Thanks- what about the Wilton meringue powder? Any way to make sure there's no gluten contaminates in it?

Report Violation

Bottom

BooBear
Posted: Tuesday May 11, 2010 1:45 PM

I don't use the meringue powder in my buttercream. I'm not certain if the Wilton meringue powder is gluten free. I can't see anything in it's ingredients that are suspect, but when in doubt, leave it out. Your buttercream frosting will be just fine without the meringue powder.

Report Violation

Bottom

GracieMakesCakes
Posted: Tuesday May 11, 2010 1:59 PM

Do you substitute it for real meringue or just leave it out altogether? Does it make a difference when you're spreading the icing or decorating with it? You've been so helpful!

Report Violation

Bottom

BooBear
Posted: Tuesday May 11, 2010 3:35 PM

Just leave it out. I think that's it's just an unnecessary ingredient in buttercream. I've never used the meringue powder in buttercream, so I can't say if it makes a difference in spreading the icing. It will work if you leave it out. I've used this Wilton buttercream icing and everyone loved it...seriously, they did.

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk
Makes: About 3 cups of icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

dottiepark
Posted: Tuesday May 11, 2010 5:06 PM
View users profile

Is there gluten in cornstarch? There is cornstarch in powdered sugar, so you'll want to check. If there is, maybe you could do a 7-minute icing instead.

Report Violation

Bottom

GracieMakesCakes
Posted: Wednesday May 12, 2010 7:57 AM

Corn starch does not trigger the autoimmune response in celiac disease. It contains a form of gluten (a type of combined grain protein), but not the same form as wheat, barley, rye, kamut, spelt, and triticale. <----from WikiAnswers

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: