skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Gluten-free thoughts?
GracieMakesCakes 05/11/2010 1:15 PM
Hello! My friend is severely allergic to gluten, and I want to make him a cake. I found a box of gluten-free mix, but what about icing? Is the Wilton buttercream recipe and gel colors completely free of gluten?

Thanks!!

BooBear 05/11/2010 1:36 PM
As long as your icing sugar is gluten free (and I think that most is), and the shortening (if you choose to use shortening) is gluten free I think that you should be good. Butter is gluten free. I have done some gluten-free decorating and never had a problem with the Wilton colors. Though, just to be absolutely certain that no harm will be done you could just do a pretty frosting border around the cake.

GracieMakesCakes 05/11/2010 1:39 PM
Thanks- what about the Wilton meringue powder? Any way to make sure there's no gluten contaminates in it?
BooBear 05/11/2010 1:45 PM
I don't use the meringue powder in my buttercream. I'm not certain if the Wilton meringue powder is gluten free. I can't see anything in it's ingredients that are suspect, but when in doubt, leave it out. Your buttercream frosting will be just fine without the meringue powder.
GracieMakesCakes 05/11/2010 1:59 PM
Do you substitute it for real meringue or just leave it out altogether? Does it make a difference when you're spreading the icing or decorating with it? You've been so helpful!
BooBear 05/11/2010 3:35 PM
Just leave it out. I think that's it's just an unnecessary ingredient in buttercream. I've never used the meringue powder in buttercream, so I can't say if it makes a difference in spreading the icing. It will work if you leave it out. I've used this Wilton buttercream icing and everyone loved it...seriously, they did.

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk
Makes: About 3 cups of icing.
dottiepark 05/11/2010 5:06 PM
Is there gluten in cornstarch? There is cornstarch in powdered sugar, so you'll want to check. If there is, maybe you could do a 7-minute icing instead.
GracieMakesCakes 05/12/2010 7:57 AM
Corn starch does not trigger the autoimmune response in celiac disease. It contains a form of gluten (a type of combined grain protein), but not the same form as wheat, barley, rye, kamut, spelt, and triticale. <----from WikiAnswers