skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Gelatin butterflies/flowers ?
Created On Monday April 26, 2010 8:00 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

tinybear73
Posted: Monday April 26, 2010 8:00 PM

Hello everyone, I decided to try my hand at making gelatin butterflies and flowers tonight. I am doing a birthday cake for my friend and I thought that these would look nice on them. My question is: Have any of you ever made these and what are your tricks for sucess? Mine are ok but always room for improvement. Thanks, Tinybear

Report Violation

Bottom

pastelitos
Posted: Monday April 26, 2010 8:11 PM

I've been wanting to try them but I have yet to buy the veining molds. How did you make yours?

Report Violation

Bottom

tinybear73
Posted: Monday April 26, 2010 8:16 PM

I used white floral wire and twisted them around like you would make a bubble wand and then left a "stem" to hold onto and to place in a foam block for drying. I found a gift bag with a pretty butterfly on it and laid my wire on that for the first one till I got the hang of it.

Report Violation

Bottom

char-lee
Posted: Tuesday April 27, 2010 11:02 PM
View users profile

I have done butterflies and the ribbon bow.in gelatin, The bow is still looking good after 6 months, but the butterflies twisted and warped almost right away. attached is a pic with both in it for a class cake project several months ago. I painted the gelatin on an impression sheet that I found in craft store closeout clay dept. Gelatin is very easy to cut strips and make bows. I would like to go further with it but I need to learn cake dec. 1st.

IMG00375.jpg IMG00375.jpg  (28 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

tinybear73
Posted: Friday April 30, 2010 3:01 PM

It looks great ! I made a wire "frame" for my butterflies and they are holding up really nicely. I twisted floral wire and then dipped it like you would if you were blowing bubbles. You should try this.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Friday April 30, 2010 3:21 PM

A long time ago, I use to make gel flowers, where you dip each petal individually then assemble the wires together with floral tape. Sounds very similar. Of course mine weren't made from gelatin. They were just called that. Mine were dipped in a plastic liquid film.

Can't wait to see yours!

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Saturday May 01, 2010 7:27 AM

tinybear73 or char-lee - how do you make the gelatin ? As per the pack instructions ? Thank you

Report Violation

Bottom

tinybear73
Posted: Saturday May 01, 2010 8:42 AM

Hello, I used a 3:1 ratio of water to Knox gelatin. ( 2 tsp gelatin and 6 tsp water). I enjoyed this! I felt like a kid again.

Report Violation

Bottom

tinybear73
Posted: Saturday May 01, 2010 8:45 AM

I forgot to add that I put the mixture in the microwave for 10-13 seconds stir a little and add gel color if you want and then let it sit a couple minutes till it set a little then swirled my wire like you would with bubbles.
Mary

Report Violation

Bottom

char-lee
Posted: Saturday May 01, 2010 8:53 AM
View users profile

basically, you mix 2 & 1/2 parts water and 1 part plain gelatin like knox, NOT jello in a small bowl
Warm in microwave, then let sit 5-10 mins. to allow the froth to rise to the top. Peel the froth off ( it will stick to a a piece of wooden skewer, I use the very inexpensive bamboo ones from grocery store). It will come off mostly in 1 try.. The gelatin is now ready use. You will need to rewarm it to liquidfy. brush it on a texture or veining sheet and let it dry. The jello will release itself when it is completely dry. Once it's dry, you can cut it into anything you want with a scissors.
For a Bow, cut it into strips, bend each strip to form a loop and use a small drop of mixture to hold the loops together. To keep a loop together put a paperclip over the ends til dry. (about 10 min.) To form the bow, put a quarter size drop of mixture on a plate or piece of plastic and assemble like you do the fondant bow. let 1st layer set up and add another bit of warm gelatin and add remaining loops
The mixture can be rewarmed as much as you want and saved up to 3 days. When cleaning the bowl, just peel the whole mess out in one piece. I make a bowl and then divide it into several more so I can color them.

Report Violation

Bottom

myna102
Posted: Tuesday May 18, 2010 6:38 PM

hi all do you know where i can get a mold for a butterfly thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

char-lee
Posted: Tuesday May 18, 2010 6:52 PM
View users profile

if you want to do them in fondant or gumpaste there are nice silicone ones at firstimpressions.com.

Report Violation

Bottom

char-lee
Posted: Tuesday May 18, 2010 6:56 PM
View users profile

tiny bear,
I really like doing butterflies on wire like you do. Thx for sharing your method

Report Violation

Bottom

myna102
Posted: Tuesday May 18, 2010 10:04 PM

i wanted to do the butterflies in the gel, thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

pastelitos
Posted: Wednesday May 19, 2010 10:25 AM

I just got my veining sheets last week and am anxious to try them but haven't had a chance due to my hand surgery.
Hope you can post pictures of yours.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: