skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: rice krispie treats question
Created On Monday April 26, 2010 4:55 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

stephilde
Posted: Monday April 26, 2010 4:55 PM
View users profile

When you use rice krispie treats to mold something do you cover it in buttercream and then fondant or just fondant? Sometimes when i see others using rkt they look bumpy and sometimes they look smooth. what are any tips for making them smooth and perfect

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Monday April 26, 2010 5:44 PM
View users profile

When I use RKT, I pack them really really tight...really squish em together. I then cover in buttercream and pop it in the freezer to set. In my opinion I think it makes the process of covering it in fondant less messy, but not necessary. I take it out of the freezer and moisten the BC with a damp paper towel and then apply the fondant.

Making sure you pack the RKT tightly really helps with a smooth outside and rolling your fondant a tad bit thicker than you would for cake. I've also heard of people using melted chocolate and royal icing. Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

Peachygirl1
Posted: Monday April 26, 2010 9:11 PM
View users profile

ditto to what chrystal just said...

Report Violation

Bottom

MissPink
Posted: Tuesday April 27, 2010 12:28 AM

I have learned that if I smash them together until I don't hear anymore snap, crackle or pop, then they will be dense enough to hold good shapes and wont be too lumpy. I have covered them with royal icing as well as buttercream before putting on the fondant.

MissPink

Report Violation

Bottom

stephilde
Posted: Tuesday April 27, 2010 8:23 AM
View users profile

great thanks! i cant wait to make something out of them. I was thinking how yummy that would be for the kids. they love rice krispies. i read somewhere (not sure if it was on this board or not) about someone who used them as an option for a tier in a stacked cake. at first i thought that was wierd then the more i thought about it if i was a kid i would love that way more than cake. thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

MomoPatti
Posted: Tuesday April 27, 2010 12:26 PM

I've also used modeling chocolate on top of the RTK. Makes a smooth transition for the fondant.

Report Violation

Bottom

MaBakes
Posted: Wednesday April 28, 2010 8:43 AM
View users profile

When I use RKT I put the rice krispies through the food processer first. Always smooth,easier to shape and mold. Not so hard on the hands either!

Report Violation

Bottom

BooBear
Posted: Wednesday April 28, 2010 9:24 AM

MaBakes, thanks for the tip!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

stephilde
Posted: Wednesday May 12, 2010 8:39 AM
View users profile

i made my shapes out of rkt and have another question now. I put my rice krispies in the food processor before i added the marshmallows and made my treats. The personi was making the cake for is my husbands friend. after they ate the cake he was talking about it with my husband and said all the kids were fighting over the rice krispies but when they ate them they were hard and almost inedible. did i do something wrong? Is it because they were ground first or maybe because i lelt them sit for a while (i think overnight) before i coated them in buttercream and fondant. Or is it just how it is when you use rice krispies for molding- great for looks but not necessarily taste? I want to make sure everything i make has nothing but raving reviews thanks for all the great help and advice on these boards!!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: