skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: can I leave cake batter in the fridge til tomorrow?
Created On Tuesday March 30, 2010 1:35 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

bubblesclown
Posted: Tuesday March 30, 2010 1:35 PM

I need to make a cake today, and will have left over batter that I need for cupcakes tomorrow. Do you know if I can leave the batter in the fridge til tomorrow or will it go bad?

Thanks in advance.

Report Violation

Bottom

TheeGirl519
Posted: Tuesday March 30, 2010 1:53 PM

In my experience, batter can be left in the fridge for 2-3 days before being baked. I've done this several times and never had a problem!
Hope this helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

lov'sadi
Posted: Tuesday March 30, 2010 2:51 PM

The answer is NO.....because when baking powder/soda meets any kind of liquid (oil, water, milk, etc) it starts acting. So if you don't use right away (within a hour or so) your cake will not level properly and rise. So if you want your cake to turn out properly cook it. Why can't you just make the cupcakes at the same time and just decorake them tomorrow?

Report Violation

Bottom

bubblesclown
Posted: Tuesday March 30, 2010 3:24 PM

I actually need the cupcakes for an Easter party at my daughter's school on Thursday. I am worried that if I bake them today they won't be very fresh come Thursday.

Report Violation

Bottom

baura_l
Posted: Tuesday March 30, 2010 3:29 PM

Depends I've seen some batters not rise at ALL (some little girl had a cookie cake for our course one class 2!) and some batters rise great 2 days later. You can bake them then freeze them that works great also!

Report Violation

Bottom

angelascake
Posted: Tuesday March 30, 2010 4:31 PM

Lov'sadi is right but it you bake it today you'll be fine. Just make sure you store them in an aiortight containier or wrap securely in saran wrap. I mostly always bake Thursday after my fulltime job and decorate Friday (after work depending on the design) for a Saturday cake. I do little things to the cake Saturday monring (adding royal icings fixtures).

Report Violation

Bottom

bubblesclown
Posted: Tuesday March 30, 2010 10:20 PM

Thank you guys so much for the info.

I did as you suggested and baked them today and stored them in an airtight container.

Report Violation

Bottom

myna102
Posted: Wednesday March 31, 2010 7:39 AM

hi maybe next time a turkey baster would work with putting the batter in the little one's, i use a latlle sp for the big ones, i know on the back of the dunkin hines say's put in pan immedietly sp oh and i tried the suggestion from one of the sites, because i remember as a kid the cupcake's had a hump on them. to heat your oven to 400 while making them turn down to regular temp, and they turned out great.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Wednesday March 31, 2010 7:47 AM
View users profile

Batter can be left in the fridge up to a week or two without baking. Just take it out for a few minutes to bring it back to room temperature. Fill baking pans or cupcake tins and bake as normal. Your cupcakes or cakes will be just fine.

Also you can freeze cake batter as well. trust me I and others have done the experiment. Take a look

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=131403&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=&STARTPAGE=1

Okay ladies, now no more talk about how you cannot refrigerate or freeze left over cake batter. Just remember to bring it back to room temp and bake away.

Report Violation

Bottom

angelascake
Posted: Wednesday March 31, 2010 11:31 AM

I beg to differ but to each its own.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Wednesday March 31, 2010 1:55 PM
View users profile

LOL!!! So, Angelascake, may I ask why you beg to differ when it has been proven that you can use leftover cake batter? Is it just that you have never done it or tried it because you have been taught or told that you can't do it?

I guess I'm trying to figure out even after posting the thread, (maybe you did not read it) why you still insist on being negative about the fact that you can refrigerate and freeze left over cake batter.

That's a nice little thread there and others tried the process as well. Just wondering is all. I know you can, because I personally did the test.

It's your preference, if you just don't want to do that, but the fact still remains that you can do both freeze and refrigerate and use it at a later date. Your cake(s) will still rise and taste the same.

Report Violation

Bottom

angelascake
Posted: Wednesday March 31, 2010 2:45 PM

@ladycatisadiva, and you must didn't read my entire response "to each its own", so if thats what you do HOORAY!!! but I will continue doing what I do having fluffy lighter cakes. Good day!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Thursday April 01, 2010 8:27 AM
View users profile

Angelascake,

I did read your reply, most of us hear try to encourage each other! Even when we think we know the answer. A lot of ladies here, I won't mention any names, have taught me and others a lot just by not thinking I or we know it all and by at least trying different things.

Your message clearly stated that "I beg to differ but to each its own" That's it! Nothing else.
I can clearly see that you typed "but to each it's own", but if you read my reply I simply asked
"So, Angelascake, may I ask why you beg to differ when it has been proven that you can use leftover cake batter? Is it just that you have never done it or tried it because you have been taught or told that you can't do it?"

Why did you "beg to differ?" It was a question. I did not ask you about "to each it's own".

I guess it's simple, when a person ask a question of another person and they evade the answer it's clear where that person is coming from.

and seriously.....good day to you too.

Bubblesclown, sometimes you have to try different things. A lot of these ladies and gentlemen here actually have their own business and are doing very well. Some of the ladies and gentlemen on this site have such good tips that have been abandoned, but are simply marvelous. They bring those tips back to life to make our lives easier for what we all here claim we love to do. Bake and Decorate!!!

I remember I hated using that big huge heating core from Wilton. So, I learned from this site, to use the metal flower nail, multiples in larger cakes. OMG! What a difference. There were many that said, don't use them, they rust, they are not made for that. Well, I've been using that technique for over 2 years and no one has come up with anything better. What if I had not tried the wonderful tip? I'm glad it did. If you take care of the metal flower nails, they will last a long time.

I use to be an avid user of an all shortening buttercream. I was converted! Two recipes converted me, Bunnywoman's and Chasey's. There were others that were very good, but these two were like magic to my mouth.

I'm just saying, we all have some good tips and pointers. If you put your batter in the fridge so be it, if not it is your choice, but read the thread......we had a good time with this experiment! It was nice for those fun people to come together and jump in and try it. I bet those that actually did it won't throw out anymore batter or even rush to use it for fear that it won't be good kept in the freezer or refrigerator.

I still love this Wilton website.

Report Violation

Bottom

Tater
Posted: Thursday April 01, 2010 3:04 PM
View users profile

ladycatisadiva,

I've included the link to my own experiment with batter that I kept vacuum sealed and frozen for 2 1/2 weeks. I agree with you, it didn't seem to affect the rise ability, taste or texture. It baked up beautifully! I also had a blast with the experiment. It's always fun to try something new. I figure, nothing ventured, nothing gained. What does it hurt to try it?

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=133148&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

I have also kept batter in the fridge for a few days with good results. The cakes have always come out moist, light and tasty. In fact, I have a couple cups of devil's food cake in my fridge from this morning, I needed only 2 6" layers, so that left me with a couple cups extra. I'll bake it up for a snack in a couple of days after I've recouped from my baking foray today!

Happy Baking / Decorating everyone!

Report Violation

Bottom

bubblesclown
Posted: Thursday April 01, 2010 10:54 PM

Thank you all for the great advise. I do value everyone's opinion and have gotten great advice from this forum. I love to read about the different techniques that I did not even know about since I am very new to cake decorating. Though I have found that it is becoing a new obsession.

I will definitely try the thread and experiment since I won't always be using all my batter at one time and I hate to waste.

Ladycatisadiva - Would you please send me those recipes for buttercream frosting (bubblesandwowza@yahoo.com). I would love to try different ones.

Thanks a lot.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Monday April 05, 2010 2:01 PM
View users profile

Hey there bubblesclown, I am on my way out of town, but should be stationary by this evening or tomorrow. If you go to the recipe forum and search there you will find most of them. I will send you the links when I get settled.

Sorry I missed your post, wow, if you don't check all the forums topics get pushed down pretty quickly.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Monday April 05, 2010 2:06 PM
View users profile

Hey tater, good thing keeping that batter. I hate to bake it right away and I don't need it. Why? It will probably go to waste or I have to give it away. Why?

Yea......good thing!!! Glad you had fun with it too.

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Monday April 05, 2010 2:10 PM

Hi LadyCat, I actually sent bubbles the links last week and she got them

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Monday April 05, 2010 5:13 PM
View users profile

Thanks binkbink, you're the best.

Report Violation

Bottom

german_girl_with_curls
Posted: Wednesday April 07, 2010 12:20 AM

Don't mean to beat on a dead horse here, but I actually remembered reading last year out of The Cake Mix Doctor that you could actually refrigerate your mix and then bake it later. Ann Byrn contacted the folks at Betty Crocker (I believe, someone correct me if it was another company) and they informed her of this...so she tested it out and sure enough the cake still came out moist and fluffy. But I believe she said she even tested this theory with COLD batter...this may only work with the boxed mix batter, but I'm not really sure. Anyway, thought I'd add that since I remembered reading it! :-)

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: