skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How long does Royal icing last?
Created On Wednesday March 24, 2010 2:56 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

krange
Posted: Wednesday March 24, 2010 2:56 PM

Hi,

So I have a bunch of royal icing left over from my class and was wondering if anyone knows how long this lasts and when I need to get rid of it? I know the royal icing dried flowers last a long time, but I'm just wondering about how long I can store unused icing and reuse it again for another project? Thank you!

Report Violation

Bottom

baura_l
Posted: Wednesday March 24, 2010 3:05 PM

Unused Royal Icing dosent last too long make some flowers or something pretty and store it!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Wednesday March 24, 2010 3:22 PM

Made royal icing keeps for about 2 weeks. However, you do need to keep the air off of it while storing and you need to rebeat it again to it's non glossy state, when you'd like to use it again.

Report Violation

Bottom

krange
Posted: Wednesday March 24, 2010 8:14 PM

Thank you! Guess I need to make some flowers. Just so I'm sure on this...how long do you all keep your dried flowers stored in an air tight container?

Report Violation

Bottom

silverangel
Posted: Wednesday March 24, 2010 8:34 PM

Our teacher said NOT to store flowers (or any predone RI decorations) in air tight containers. If they don't have air to breathe then they will begin to 'melt'. I made RI flowers for the course in jan and stored them on the waxed paper pieces in christmas tin with the lid placed upside down and on an angle on top to keep the dust off but it still lets air in. I used them the other day for my son's bday at school (made mini cupcakes) and they were great. Our wilton teacher said that they basically last forever.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Wednesday March 24, 2010 8:48 PM

I would just make some flowers with it - gives you good practice + you'll have a stock on hand for last minute cakes

I just store mine in a 4 inch high Rubbermaid storage container & they're fine - had some of them about 2 years now !!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Wednesday March 24, 2010 9:22 PM

Once the royal icing flowers have dried THOROUGHLY, it's okay to store in a plastic container. So make a flower of the same thickness that you can break apart in a few days to make sure they are dry all the way through.
What you need to be careful of, is that they have finished drying. If not, the moisture of one will contaminate (melt) the others being stored with it.

It's true the sugar is a preservative, so they do keep. Just keep critters and dust off them.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Thursday March 25, 2010 2:37 AM

haha good points mmumsie !! LOL

I should also add that the container that I use isn't airtight - just one of those clear ones

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: