skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: HELP!!!! Do I need to refrigerate the Swiss Meringue Buttercream?
Created On Monday March 01, 2010 6:01 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

silentforce21
Posted: Monday March 01, 2010 6:01 PM

This is probably a really silly question. I'm doing a Humpty Dumpty baby shower cake and there will be 6 pregnant women there. I don't want to make them sick!!!!! I always use the swiss meringue buttercream for my cakes and that is what they requested. Love the taste, not so sugary as the American style. But back to the questions....

1. They need to pick the cake up a day early, but will have no where to store it in a refrigerator. Will it be ok to sit out that long. I know that people use it for wedding cakes, but wasn't sure how long it is able to sit at room temperature.

2. Can you cover this type of buttercream with fondant? I typically use a crusting type when a fondant cake is requested.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! Thanks in advance!

Report Violation

Bottom

baura_l
Posted: Monday March 01, 2010 6:54 PM

At my workplace, they refridgerate buttercream but we somtimes leave it out for maybe 2-3 hours MAXIMUM!. This is the only buttercream they make and they do fondant cakes so I am assuming yes. and I too like Swiss Merigue.. its so light.. Maybe someone elese can clarify

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Monday March 01, 2010 7:22 PM

All I know is that the eggs are cooked/pasteurized in this recipe so I can't see why it can't sit out.

Report Violation

Bottom

baura_l
Posted: Monday March 01, 2010 7:39 PM

Although they are cooked dosen't necessarily mean they should be left out.. Milk is pasturized but I don't leave it out. Cooked eggs shouldn't be left at room temp for too long either.

Report Violation

Bottom

dottiepark
Posted: Monday March 01, 2010 9:01 PM
View users profile

I make the mousseline buttercream from the Cake Bible and the author says it can stay out for 48 hours. I have made it on a thursday for a Saturday party and it was just fine.

Report Violation

Bottom

silentforce21
Posted: Monday March 01, 2010 10:25 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts. I haven't tried the mousseline. Will have to see if I can find that book and try the recipe before the party. It's in a week! Thanks so much!

Report Violation

Bottom

silentforce21
Posted: Monday March 01, 2010 10:26 PM

Dottie...

have you used this under a fondant? if so does it hold up well?

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Monday March 01, 2010 10:29 PM

Good point Baura_l!

Report Violation

Bottom

dottiepark
Posted: Tuesday March 02, 2010 7:59 AM
View users profile

I have used it under MMF fondant and it holds up beautiufully but I don't really like the flavors together. Is the swiss meringue made with butter or shortening? The mousseline is all butter and it's such a rich taste, I like it to shine on its own. I think Duff (Ace of Cakes) uses this type of icing (egg-white based) under fondant.

The Cake Bible is just that to me...a Bible, one well worth owning...but you can find the recipe online:

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/MEANCHEF/FROSTING/Mousseline_Buttercream.html

Ignore the video.

Report Violation

Bottom

silentforce21
Posted: Tuesday March 02, 2010 11:23 AM

Dottie: thanks so much for all of the information.

Asked Rose myself...found her website and she actually replied!!! She said that it does indeed keep for 48 hours as long as the room temperature is NOT above 70 and the humidity is not high. Found the book and tried the recipe... it is to die for!!! Agreed regarding fondant.... I use MMF, but I really prefer the buttercream to stand alone.... oh well looks count for something I guess. Have a wonderful day and thank you so much again!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

ConnieT
Posted: Tuesday March 02, 2010 11:49 AM

I'm new and your swiss meringue buttercream sounds yummy how do you make it if you don't mind me asking.

Report Violation

Bottom

silentforce21
Posted: Tuesday March 02, 2010 2:15 PM

Connie,

give me your email and I will send it to you.

Report Violation

Bottom

miss mollie
Posted: Wednesday March 10, 2010 3:53 PM

may i have your recipt for swiss meringue also. email molliecakes@lbtmail.com thank you.

Report Violation

Bottom

Miss LJH
Posted: Monday March 28, 2011 9:50 AM

silentforce21, may I have your swiss meringue recipe too? I have looked all over this forum and can't find one. Thanks. My email is loujholton@gmail.com

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Monday March 28, 2011 10:19 AM

The link to the mouselline mentioned by Dottie Park is in her post above.
http://recipecircus.com/recipes/MEANCHEF/FROSTING/Mousseline_Buttercream.html

Thanks for posting that Dottie. I've saved it to my favorites.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: