skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: covering a frozen cake with fondant
Created On Friday February 26, 2010 8:04 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Linsey
Posted: Friday February 26, 2010 8:04 AM
View users profile

I need a cake for next saturday and it will not be eaten until the next day, sunday. I will be filling with butter cream and covering with fondant. When I take the cakes out of the freezer, do I then fill and frost them? If so, once frosted, do I place the cake in the frig uncovered until thawed or keep it on the counter? When can I put the fondant on it? Could some body help me as to what I should do, step by step, and when I should start this process.
Thank you

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Friday February 26, 2010 8:09 AM

I would thaw the cake out completely (my preference) then frost and fill on Saturday. Cover with fondant and decorate either on Saturday or early Sunday if you have time. You do not have to store the cake in the fridge unless you are using a perishable filling/icing. If you are, then take the cake out an hour or so before you need it to let it warm up to room temp and the condensation on the fondant to dry.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesrnuts
Posted: Friday February 26, 2010 8:12 AM

N8sMom is exactly right.

My question is why are you freezing the cake anyway? Are you making it far in advance? I'd bake on Friday, frost and fill Saturday morning, fondant and decorate Satruday evening.

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Friday February 26, 2010 8:13 AM

I prefer not to freeze my cakes either cakesrnuts.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Friday February 26, 2010 9:25 AM

If you need to bake early, then you can freeze the plain cake. I like to thaw at room temperature. After it is completely thawed I then fill and ice smooth. At this point you can cover with fondant.

A fondant covered cake (with no perishable filling) will keep 4-5 days on the counter just fine.

Report Violation

Bottom

Linsey
Posted: Friday February 26, 2010 3:03 PM
View users profile

cakesrnuts,
I have 2 cakes to make that weekend. So I figured if I could bake the cakes ahead of time, it would help me out.
Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday February 26, 2010 8:02 PM

Never cover a frozen cake with fondant. Once the cake thaws, the cake gases will come out and you will have very unappealing blow-outs on the sides of the cake. Plus you might even get huge air pockets on the top surface.

Thaw the cakes completely before you torte and fill.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: