skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Wilton Fondant
Created On Tuesday February 02, 2010 7:22 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Muffillecious
Posted: Tuesday February 02, 2010 7:22 AM

Hi,

I just want to find out whether the ingredients used in Wilton fondant
are of vegetable origins (e.g. glycerin) and suitable for the consumption of Muslims?
I have Muslim clients and they are concerned about this matter.

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

alyababe
Posted: Tuesday February 02, 2010 9:24 AM

If you are worried about the ingredients in Wilton's fondant why not offer to make them MMF? Marshmallows, icing sugar, water, Crisco...surely they would be able to tell you if any of those ingredients are off limits. Much easier than trying to determine what is in premade fondant!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Tuesday February 02, 2010 9:48 AM

Muslims cannot have marshmellows because they contain gelatin...which comes from pigs. Pork is a no no in their culture. Marshmellow fluff does not contain gelatin, but don't know if you can make that into fondant.

I would write to Wilton directly and ask for a specific ingredient list.

Report Violation

Bottom

Journey0826
Posted: Tuesday February 02, 2010 11:19 AM

Ingredients: sugar, glucose syrup, hydrogenated vegetable oil (palm and rape seed), water, glycerine, tapioca starch, gum tragacanth (emulisifer), carboxymethyl cellulose (thickening agent), artificial flavor (vanillin), sodium acetate (preservative), and acetic acid (preservative).

so yes, it does contain glycerine. Looks like the only way they are going to be getting fondant is if you make some from scratch without. I know there is a replacement for glycerine, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is!

I found this recipe on a yahoo answers post, but I have no idea if it will work. Its worth a shot though!

Ingredients:
1/3 cup softened butter
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb sifted powdered sugar
Preparation:
1. In a large mixing bowl, blend the butter, corn syrup, vanilla and salt on medium speed with a paddle attachment until smooth and well-combined.

2. Add the powdered sugar all at once, and mix on slow speed, gradually increasing speed to medium until well-combined. The mixture should cling together in the bottom of the bowl and be smooth to the touch.

3. The fondant can now be rolled into balls, rolled thin and cut with cookie cutters, or stored for later use. Store in a cool dry place, wrapped tightly and placed in an airtight container.

Variations: To flavor, add extracts or oils in the beginning with the butter and corn syrup. To color, knead a small amount of your desired food coloring into the ball of fondant and work with hands until thoroughly combined.

hope this helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Tuesday February 02, 2010 12:08 PM

That recipe sounds like rolled buttercream and I know there have been threads on that topic here!

Report Violation

Bottom

Muffillecious
Posted: Tuesday February 02, 2010 12:43 PM

Hi all,

Thanks sooo much for all the replies..
Chasey: Thanks for the offer to email Wilton directly, I couldn't find it on this site!
Journey: Much thanks for the recipe! Looks simple enough, I mght try it if it's for a small amount!
sincerely appreciate all the effort! =)

Reason for the instant fondant is coz I'm teaching full-time,
seriously, my work doesn't give me the liberty to make my own fondant,
unless I wanna get fondant in between my students's homework!heehee..

Most of the ingredients in Wilton fondant are of vegetable origins; except for glycerin
which may come from either animal or vegetable..
so that's why the doubt..

Oh well,I really hope to find the answer!
Thanks again people! ^_^

Report Violation

Bottom

sanchita tiwari
Posted: Tuesday February 11, 2014 7:34 PM

Hey,
just wanted to know glycerine is vegetarian or not ?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday February 11, 2014 8:17 PM
View users profile

I would certainly check directly with Wilton for a definitive answer. Go below under the heading of Customer Care and select Contact Us to email Wilton with this question. It would be great if you post your findings here for others who might seek this information. Welcome to the forum!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: