skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: making corners sharp with fondant
Created On Friday January 08, 2010 12:16 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

kimodell
Posted: Friday January 08, 2010 12:16 PM

When I put fondant on a cake it is always rounded on the edges. Is there some way to make a sharp edge without damaging the fondant?

Report Violation

Bottom

obesa
Posted: Friday January 08, 2010 2:15 PM

I use two fondant smoothers at once, flat sides together on the cake edge, sharpening the edge by "pulling" the smoothers toward each other.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Friday January 08, 2010 2:27 PM

Is it easy to do or is it easy to wreck a cake? I am wondering if I need to practice. Do you do that technique a lot?

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday January 08, 2010 10:27 PM

I'd suggest practicing first. Maybe make up a couple 6" squares and see how it goes for you.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Friday January 08, 2010 11:01 PM

Watch Lorraine McKay do this technique.
http://vimeo.com/298002

Report Violation

Bottom

Bainton
Posted: Friday January 08, 2010 11:47 PM

I'm thinking kimodell meant squared off top edges ... Lorraine's are very rounded/soft. I'd like to figure out how to do sharp edges too! I'll have to try obesa's suggestion ... hmmm

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Thursday January 21, 2010 3:21 PM

Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry I didn't get back on line, have been sick and very busy but thanks for the input.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Thursday January 21, 2010 6:37 PM

This youtube does the technique you're referring too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We26gwKS_tw&feature=related

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Thursday January 21, 2010 6:42 PM

You also need to remember a lot of pictures of fondant cakes are not cake at all. But, following this technique you can get a sharper edge.

Also, make sure your cake is dense enough to support the weight of the fondant. Cakes should be completely cooled, stacked and iced together. Then chill for a few minutes before covering. Cake and buttercream will hold up better.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Friday January 22, 2010 10:02 AM

That video was awesome. Those smoothers look a lot higher then the ones you get from Wilton. I wish I could find some like that. Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

bccaker
Posted: Friday January 22, 2010 10:11 AM

Check out this website: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=527&SubCatId=214

On Sharon Zambito's dvd, Flawless Fondant, she shows you how to the get sharp edges on fondant and she uses two of PME Easy fondant smoothers, like obesa said.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Friday January 22, 2010 1:44 PM

I am definitely order 2 of those! Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Friday January 29, 2010 12:21 PM

I watched that video 4 times to try to understand what she is putting on the cake to make the fondant stick. Do you know what it is? I am doing fondant tomorrow morning and would like to try her technique although I ordered the smoothers and they haven't come yet. I have 2 of the Wilton ones but they are too small to do that.

Report Violation

Bottom

cupcake_123
Posted: Saturday January 30, 2010 5:14 AM

The cake is a chocolate mud cake covered with a very smooth dark chocolate ganache then she brushes it with an apricot glaze/syrup to make it sticky. According to Planet Cake, the apricot glaze is made as follows:-

100g or 3.5oz or one third of a cup apricot jam whisked with 100ml or 3.5 fluid oz of boiling water until smooth. Remove any lumps and if you want you can stir in two teaspoons of orange liqueur for a bit more flavour.

According to the Planet Cake book, the big trick to getting the cake so flat with such sharp edges is partly due to the smoothers but also taking the time to get the ganache layer VERY VERY smooth with nice sharp edges with scrapers and hot knifes/spatulas before the fondant goes on.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Saturday January 30, 2010 10:30 AM

Is there anything else I can use to make it stick? I made buttercream and have frosted them and am going to do fondant in about 3 hours. I don't want to go to the store again!

Report Violation

Bottom

cupcake_123
Posted: Saturday January 30, 2010 11:05 AM

If you've crumb coated your cake and have done as mmumsie suggest and have chilled the cake then I would just boil some water, let it cool and very lightly brush it onto the crumb coat just before putting the fondant onto the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Saturday January 30, 2010 11:48 AM

Ok, thanks. I will try that.

Report Violation

Bottom

bleigh
Posted: Thursday September 02, 2010 4:16 PM

ok so someone explain this. IF she is using the PME fondant smoother, then how is it wide enough cover the entire side of the 4" tall cake? All the ones I have found online are 3" -3 5/8"? Any suggestions?

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: