skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: zebra stripes on buttercream
Created On Tuesday January 05, 2010 10:52 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

dicey
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 2010 10:52 AM

Could someone please tell me how to paint zebra stripes on buttercream frosting? I can do the fondant, but would rather paint on the buttercream. I can free hand the stripes, but I need to know what you mix with the coloring to paint them on. I have a very special young lady in our church that would love a zebra stripe cake for her 16th birthday, WHICH IS WEDNESDAY NIGHT (01/6/10) Thanks in advance for any help.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 2010 11:24 AM

my first thought would be to make black fondant stripes and place them on the buttercream. If you don't want to use fondant at all how about making a stencil...then use dry black coloring mixed with a very small amt of lemon extract and go over it to make the stripe. Another option is to make black RI stripes and attach them to the BC.

Report Violation

Bottom

dicey
Posted: Wednesday January 06, 2010 8:44 PM

Thank you so much sweet grandma!! This was my first ever try at a zebra cake, but knew it had to work for this special lady. I have the pic on my cell phone so when I can figure out how to post it, I will. It was a wonderful hit. As always, I know where I can do better next time, but everyone thought it was an awesome cake. I actually did not have the dry coloring, but instead used the paste; mixed it with the lemon extract as you suggested and started painting. WOW - so easy - Thanks again - cannot thank you enough for your help and quick reply. You saved me.

Report Violation

Bottom

Sweetlife
Posted: Friday May 07, 2010 9:31 PM

Hi Dicey, or anyone
Please Help! I need more advice on doing an all buttercream zebra stripe. I have a 32nd birthday cake to do on this coming friday. They have only made 3 request, black and hot pink, sheet cake, and buttercream-thats it. So I was trying to figure out how to incorporate this other than borders, what better way than black zebra stripes. So I know you can free hand them using lemon extract and black coloring paste from previous posting. Im nervous about the freehand and how much do I add ratio wise or the lemon/black. There was also some talk of making a stencil. Any ideas how to do that. Please and Thank you to all who reply! Also if you have any other juicy tid bits of help that I didn't ask for that will make this easy I'll take'em! And what is a KA?

Report Violation

Bottom

Kesha314
Posted: Monday May 10, 2010 12:47 PM

far as the stencil..i would look for images of stripes and cut them out, lay them on the cake and trace around them with a toothpick them fill them in.on the extract...i would use vanilla due to flavor issues but lemon would be ok as well and you just mix to get a good consistency to paint with.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: