skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: zebra stripes on buttercream
dicey 01/05/2010 10:52 AM
Could someone please tell me how to paint zebra stripes on buttercream frosting? I can do the fondant, but would rather paint on the buttercream. I can free hand the stripes, but I need to know what you mix with the coloring to paint them on. I have a very special young lady in our church that would love a zebra stripe cake for her 16th birthday, WHICH IS WEDNESDAY NIGHT (01/6/10) Thanks in advance for any help.
sweetgrandma 01/05/2010 11:24 AM
my first thought would be to make black fondant stripes and place them on the buttercream. If you don't want to use fondant at all how about making a stencil...then use dry black coloring mixed with a very small amt of lemon extract and go over it to make the stripe. Another option is to make black RI stripes and attach them to the BC.
dicey 01/06/2010 8:44 PM
Thank you so much sweet grandma!! This was my first ever try at a zebra cake, but knew it had to work for this special lady. I have the pic on my cell phone so when I can figure out how to post it, I will. It was a wonderful hit. As always, I know where I can do better next time, but everyone thought it was an awesome cake. I actually did not have the dry coloring, but instead used the paste; mixed it with the lemon extract as you suggested and started painting. WOW - so easy - Thanks again - cannot thank you enough for your help and quick reply. You saved me.
Sweetlife 05/07/2010 9:31 PM
Hi Dicey, or anyone
Please Help! I need more advice on doing an all buttercream zebra stripe. I have a 32nd birthday cake to do on this coming friday. They have only made 3 request, black and hot pink, sheet cake, and buttercream-thats it. So I was trying to figure out how to incorporate this other than borders, what better way than black zebra stripes. So I know you can free hand them using lemon extract and black coloring paste from previous posting. Im nervous about the freehand and how much do I add ratio wise or the lemon/black. There was also some talk of making a stencil. Any ideas how to do that. Please and Thank you to all who reply! Also if you have any other juicy tid bits of help that I didn't ask for that will make this easy I'll take'em! And what is a KA?
Kesha314 05/10/2010 12:47 PM
far as the stencil..i would look for images of stripes and cut them out, lay them on the cake and trace around them with a toothpick them fill them in.on the extract...i would use vanilla due to flavor issues but lemon would be ok as well and you just mix to get a good consistency to paint with.