skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: how early can I make a fondant cake?
Leah1974 12/14/2009 3:04 PM
I'm undertaking my first fondant project and have a few technical questions...

how soon can I fondant the cake before my son's party?

i have been told NOT to make it and then refrigerate it. So, what sort of timeframe do I have? How early on can I crumb coat it?

Do I have to crumb coat, keep that in the fridge and then not do any of the fondant until the day of?

thanks for any help!
alyababe 12/14/2009 3:16 PM
Hi Leah,
I am by no means an expert but, from my experience you can make your cake and decorate it a few days before your event if you like. I did one that the client didn't eat until a week later and she said the cake was still moist and tasted great!
Some people say you can put your cake in the fridge after you put the fondant on it but I don't. I always have my cakes finished a day or two before the event and have left them on my counter (covered by a towel) and they were fine.
Some people also say to crumbcoat, leave it over night and do your fondant the next day, but I have always added my fondant mintues after crumbcoating and it has been fine....mind you my cake itself was left to cool over night.
So, I say you can easily have your cake done 2-3 days ahead if you need to!
Have fun!
Debra
Leah1974 12/14/2009 6:15 PM
Thanks for your advice Debra!

You actually touched on another question that popped up in my head after I had posted..when you said you covered it with a towel...

I was going to ask if it needs to be covered or not if it's made ahead of time--so just a dry towel you covered it with?

and as far as you saying that some people say to crumb coat and then let it sit overnight, do you know if that's in the fridge or just on the counter?

Thank God for this forum! I have so many questions!!
alyababe 12/14/2009 10:22 PM
Glad I could be of help! I love this forum too, there is so much knowledge here!
Yes, I just cover it with a dry towel.
I believe that if you crumbcoat and let it sit overnight you should refridgerate it...anyone with more knowledge than me feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!! I personally haven't seen the need to let it sit over night though. Like I said before I let my cakes cool over night and crumbcoat/fondant the next day. Seems to work fine for me!

May I ask what your first fondant project will be in the end?
binkbink 12/14/2009 10:26 PM
After I crumb coat, if I don't have a box, I cover with clean dry towel and leave on counter (I usually do all my decorating the next day, that just seems to work better for me) This works fine as long as we don't use any fillings that need refrigerating.
hreese17 12/15/2009 12:08 AM
I made a birthday cake for my husbands grandma, (all fondant), and her b-day was on thanksgiving. I finished it the night before. Well, everyone was too full, so we decided to celebrate her birthday that Saturday instead. They had stored the cake in their closed off dinig room with a box over the top of it (to prevent dust and cat hair mostly), and when we ate it on saturday, it was just fine, and that was 3-4 days later.
Leah1974 12/15/2009 5:45 AM
I am ATTEMPTING (key word here) to do a 1/2 sheet, covered with mmf that will be colored/marbled tan and brown and then embossed with the wood grain embosser. Then a bed on top (not too large--loaf-pan size-ish) covered in blue fondant and quilted and then all the toy story figures----andy's room from toy story

I'm insane! LOL! figure you have to just try i guess! I've always wanted to take cake decorating classes and I finally am--but after I make this cake, of course! LOL!

i literally have been having insomnia over this thing! I lie in bed thinking how to do it and then think of 10 more questions I have to ask here--so keep your eyes peeled! ;)
alyababe 12/15/2009 9:19 AM
Wow that's quite the project!! Please make sure to post a picture when you are done, I would love to see the finished product!!
Good luck!
MomoPatti 12/15/2009 12:10 PM
I usually crumb coat and ice then let the cake sit overnight before I add the fondant. No need to refrigerate unless you have a filling that needs refrigeration. You will have to give it a light spritz with water to make the fondant stick after the buttercream sets up. I only fondant one day before -- I find that it will harden somewhat if you do it any earlier. If you MUST do it earlier make sure you can box it up to keep it covered.
flourfriend 05/09/2012 4:17 PM
awesome, answers tym, if i kept it in a box instead of a towel would it be ok do u think till sat I assume by reading other pst just not quite sure yet I have 2 cakes to do back to back and dnt wanna do both on the same day
Kinsey's Taste 03/19/2013 3:18 PM
What is your suggestion for covering a cake in fondant, leaving it for the night then applying the fondant decorations the next day? What you you use to apply fondant decorations on fondant covered cakes? just water or royal icing? I've tried water and I find it too slippery and not strong enough? I need help
cakedujour 03/19/2013 10:50 PM
You can apply the decorations the next day. You can use a dab of buttercream or made fondant glue by dissolving a piece of fondant in a small amount of water. My favorite way is with a film of shortening. If you need to move something it won't leave a mark.
Kinsey's Taste 05/13/2013 1:15 PM
Has anyone ever froze a Strawberry Cake before? like with fresh strawberries in it. I'm making a cake this week with fresh strawberries and I wanted to make sure it will be just as good as freezing any other cake.
ginnyl 05/13/2013 2:16 PM
Have never done a strawberry cake but do not that when strawberries are frozen they do get mushy when defrosted..not a good idea..may make your layers too wet and not hold up well.
ginny
Kinsey's Taste 05/27/2013 8:15 PM
I'm making another strawberry cake (strawberries actually in the cake not as a filling), and I would like to make the cake the day before the event, crumb coating and adding fondant. Has anyone made a strawberry cake covered in fondant? would you refrigerate that after the fondant has been put on, or would everyone add fondant the day of the event? (I have so many cakes to make this week and I'm just trying to balance everything I would love to be able to make this cake the day before)... any suggestions?
cakedujour 05/27/2013 9:54 PM
I have not made a strawberry cake like this. My two thoughts: 1.) Bake the cake 2 days before so the cake has settling time. Put the fondant on the day before if you want to. The fondant will keep the cake fresh. I'm not sure if you need to keep baked strawberries in the fridge or not. If you do, wrap the cake. Do NOT unwrap it until ALL condensation has evaporated. Allow time for that. 2.) If the strawberries are "lumpy" on the outside of the cake, your fondant will be lumpy too. Your crumb coat might need to be thicker than you think. That can make fondant persnickity. You might need to chill the cake just so you have a shot at getting the fondant on without BC squishing out and making a mess of it all. Of course, if the outside of the cake is smooth, you have no worries about that. I'm just throwing out a warning. Just in case.