skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Frosting- how long in advance can I make it?
Created On Sunday December 13, 2009 12:34 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

anderson1926
Posted: Sunday December 13, 2009 12:34 AM

Hi! I have a question about how long in advance can I make my buttercream frosting? I have 8 sheetcakes (1/2) and a wedding cake to make next month, all for the same wedding, and want to be able to just frost and frost till I am done. Also is there any tricks to using it after it sits?

Report Violation

Bottom

baura_l
Posted: Sunday December 13, 2009 12:58 AM

i know it must be a pain to make THAT much buttercream but I find making it fresh is well... best. I just lose to much moisture if it's not fresh. BUT that is me, many people don't mind. I would.... make in double batches maybe even triple if your mixer can handle it and dump into a larger bowl and COVER! untill you eyeball enough to do one cake or tier at a time. If it were me I'd probably be REALLY lazy and go buy tubs of wilton ready to use decorator frosting! and bring my coupons to save me some $.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Sunday December 13, 2009 7:17 AM

Depending on the recipe, most buttercreams can be made upto 2 weeks ahead - just store in an airtight container Give a mix when you come to use it, and it brings it right back to life !!

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Sunday December 13, 2009 9:48 AM

I have stored icing for a couple weeks and do exactly what Marie says and turns out just fine. Another thing I have done when I had 5 cakes to do for Thanksgiving, was I made my BC earlier that month and froze it in ziploc freezer bags. I thawed the bags then put them in my mixer to fluff it back up, and it worked just fine.

Report Violation

Bottom

sandsher
Posted: Tuesday December 15, 2009 7:48 AM

Since you don't want to have to make that much icing at one time, you could go buy the But-R-Cream icing from Sam's club. It tastes great and is ready to use. I keep it on hand and use it when I need a lot of icing and don't want to make it. To me, it is the closest thing to what I make. I really like the taste of it as much as what I make. Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Tuesday December 15, 2009 8:09 AM
View users profile

Well, since you don't have to have it until next month, I would start making it now. Storing it in some airtight containers as already instructed. The day you are ready to crumbcoat and frost, take it out a couple hours before ready to use, again bring it back to life. (I normally just stir mine with a big spatula or spoon) You can also put in in the blender again on a very low speed. Don't want to put too much air in it.

But for sure I would start making it now. If you have to do any coloring, get it out the way. Make way more colored than you will need the first time. It's almost impossible to get the exact same color if you run out. Even Beige can be a pain to match. You can always freeze any left over, or mix it all together and freeze for black.

Report Violation

Bottom

anderson1926
Posted: Wednesday December 16, 2009 3:31 PM

Thanks you all for the tips! I have never used ready-made frosting so.. I just may have to try it. I know the Bride was in love with the frosting I have always made, but if I try it and can't tell then that sounds to easy to pass up. If I do end up making it, I think I am waiting till after Christmas : )

Sandsher~ do you know if you can get just a little taste of the But-R-cream incing from Sams? I am guessing once you open it it should be used shortly after or frozen, right?

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: