skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How to dye frosting?
Created On Tuesday December 01, 2009 9:51 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

krissikk
Posted: Tuesday December 01, 2009 9:51 PM

My daughter and I are taking Wilton classes, and new to cake decorating. While preparing our butter cream frosting for class our dye colors are not what we expect. Our "Pink" turns out almost a floresent pink and our red turns out a weird pink. We are coloring about one cup of frosting at a time, but that does not seem to help. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, as I don't think a "pink" santa suit is very traditional. :-)

Report Violation

Bottom

baura_l
Posted: Tuesday December 01, 2009 9:57 PM

Red... One of the most controversal colors. Some say why bother, Some say No No It's not healthy!, Some say use No-Taste Red. Some will reccomend using Americolor or powderd color. All in all if you DO want red. Prepared to have a bitter tasting icing if using only wilton products. and buy alot of red paste for it. Good Luck

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Tuesday December 01, 2009 11:08 PM

There are many forum thread regarding red icing. Many use a combination of all the Wilton red's to get what you need. Making 3 cups of red will be difficult and make it palatable. But, to make a 1/4 cup of red is doable. Also, remember BC icing darkens as it sits.

Other decorators like Americolor brand red.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Wednesday December 02, 2009 3:23 AM

Your floresent pink is from adding too much coloring Just add small amounts of coloring at a time with the end of a toothpick

The flourescent pink you can still use - try adding red to it - you shouldn't need nearly as much coloring

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Wednesday December 02, 2009 6:28 AM
View users profile

If you are using the Wilton products, you will need to use a lot of red, but as stated in other responses to you questions, you should just start by adding a little at a time, by using a toothpick. Don't reuse the same toothpick if you need more color, use a fresh toothpick each time.

I have been able to achieve a very good tasting red by using the (No-Taste) Red with the Regular Red and Christmas Red. I use more no-taste of course. I do still have a mild but faint bitter aftertaste, but nothing like I would if I did not use the no-taste red.

Just take your time when adding coloring. Even if you make a color too dark it's not destroyed. Just add small amounts of white frosting back into it to bring the color up a little. If color is not dark enough, add a little more coloring.

This should be stress free for you and your daughter. Don't make it too hard. Have fun learning how to bring your icings to your desired colors.

Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Wednesday December 02, 2009 12:20 PM

I have been very successful at making red that does not have any bitter taste to it by using only Wilton products. I color my icing pink with the rose first (only takes a little), then the no-taste red. I have sometimes done what Ladycats does and mix red-red. I have not tried the Christmas red though. It does take a lot of the red almost the whole 1/2 of the jar. Also, remember to let it sit for a few hours or overnight, because the color will deepen.

Pink - again like others said, use very little.

Report Violation

Bottom

krissikk
Posted: Thursday December 03, 2009 7:50 AM

Thank you everyone! I was able to acheive a dark red by using 1/2 jar of red. I will try for pink with my next frosting batch for our project next week. These forums are GREAT! Thank you again, your answers were very helpful.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: