skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: how to make candy melt lollypops shiny
Created On Tuesday November 24, 2009 10:12 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

feliciamckee
Posted: Tuesday November 24, 2009 10:12 AM

Is there some way to make my lollipops made with candy melts looks shiny? They always appear so pretty and shiny on the candy mold photos but when I make them, the candy is dull. Is there some sort of spray food lacker or some other technique to try?

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Tuesday November 24, 2009 11:12 AM

Mine are generally shiny. Are you using Wilton candy melts? You might try lightspraying your mold with Pam or canola oil.

Report Violation

Bottom

feliciamckee
Posted: Tuesday November 24, 2009 12:29 PM

hmmm...really? yes, I am using Wilton Candy Melts...not the premium ones just the regular. Someone else suggested brushing lightly with thinned light corn syrup. Im still puzzled as to why mine are always dull. Thought it might be because I was putting them in fridge to set.

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Tuesday November 24, 2009 12:38 PM

I put mine in fridge or freezer to set the delicate details before filling the molds with the melted chocolate. They always turn out fine. Karo is great for lots of things, but wouldn't brush it on mine because the treat bags will stick to them, and it might get crusty on top.

Report Violation

Bottom

feliciamckee
Posted: Tuesday November 24, 2009 1:27 PM

Thank you. I think I will try the Pam idea. I dont think it will give them a funny taste.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday November 24, 2009 4:05 PM

I have dry dusted them with super pearl luster dust to give them a POP!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Tuesday November 24, 2009 5:28 PM

How long are you refrigerating? 10 minutes should do it. There is a edible lacquer spray, but it's pricey.
Also, don't touch the chocolates with your hands. That will mare the finish as well.

I wouldn't use Karo either. Just makes them literally tacky.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Tuesday November 24, 2009 8:10 PM

I just remembered that there is a 'confectioners glaze' that can be used on any sugar based product.
http://slice-heaven.com/store/show/78-8200

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Tuesday November 24, 2009 9:40 PM

Mumms, knew there was a laquer spray, but since I've never had occasion to use it didn't know what it was called or where to find it.

Thanks so much for the tidbit of information. ^_^ Hugs

Report Violation

Bottom

feliciamckee
Posted: Thursday November 26, 2009 1:11 PM

Thanks so much!!! Will try!

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Friday November 27, 2009 8:08 AM

I've never sprayed my candy melts with anything to make them shiny

I have noticed that if they are not left in the fridge/reezer long enough to harden, then they sometimes have a matt finish to thme

Report Violation

Bottom

feliciamckee
Posted: Friday November 27, 2009 11:33 AM

Just made some Christmas ones yesterday and they were actually shiny like they are supposed to be. Did a few with the Pam spray but couldn't tell much difference...I think I am not leaving them in the fridge long enough to get good and set. I made some snow men and left them in longer and they had a nice little shine to them. Haven't been able to find the food lacquer spray anywhere but I think i got the technique down. I also discovered that a toothpick works better on the itty bitty details than a paint brush. Thanks for the help!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Friday November 27, 2009 2:57 PM

The supplier that I'm aware of for the edible lacquer spray, isn't producing it at this time.

Good quality chocolate or candy coating, properly and evenly melted before molding should give you a shine if chilled just the right amount of time. TOO long and they can appear 'frosty'. Store in a cool, dry place until needed.

Report Violation

Bottom

feliciamckee
Posted: Saturday November 28, 2009 9:35 AM

Thank you. I do believe that is the key. The amount of time in the fridge...only other problem im having is...I have 3 kids...it's just like when you pick berries, you eat half of them before you get them home. My kids eat the lollies quicker than I can make them. If I have to do about 20 for one of their classes or teams, it takes forever..."oh, Mom, can I have THAT one?" How can I say no...

Report Violation

Bottom

Annaki
Posted: Wednesday December 02, 2009 10:12 PM

If you are still having problems, you could try using confectioner's glaze. I have used it to preserve my gumpaste models or if I need something shiny...like the doggie's nose, etc. I get it from www.ckproducts.com

Report Violation

Bottom

feliciamckee
Posted: Friday December 04, 2009 11:41 AM

Thanks...never heard of it but I will check it out. I figured out I was taking them out of the fridge prematurely and wasnt letting them get real good and set. I still am not completely satisfied. I am pretty hard to please with my own work. I want them to really POP like they do in product photos, Wilton books, etc. I still think they have to use something. I finally got mine shiney, but still want more!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

baura_l
Posted: Saturday December 05, 2009 11:01 AM

The best way to get a shiny look is to melt at the right temperature. I just learned that in school

But seriously Even I wouldnt do that at home ignore me and listen to everybody Else.

Report Violation

Bottom

Ginger9708
Posted: Sunday December 06, 2009 7:22 AM

Definitely keep them in the frig or freezer for a good amount of time. My first batch come out gloppy because i didnt leave in long enough (the chocolate was a bit too hot so the suggested 10-15 minutes wasnt enough, took just a bit longer). The rest of my batches came out great after putting them in the freezer they popped right out and had a nice shiny appearance.

Report Violation

Bottom

feliciamckee
Posted: Sunday December 06, 2009 11:02 AM

When you say right temp, what temp is that exactly? I melt mine on very low temps (warm)...just hot enough to get the candy to melt. Anyone ever seen Sponge Bob candy molds? I don't think Wilton makes them do they?

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: