skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: How long will fondant last?
eden1103 11/13/2009 11:08 PM
I was thinking of buying a bucket of Satin Ice to practice with. How long does fondant last (particularily Satin Ice)? Does MMF last as long? Just trying to make my life easier by ordering it although I prefer using MMF when I actually make a cake cause it tastes delicious! My husband prefers the MMF over the cake.

Eryn
sweetgrandma 11/14/2009 7:41 AM
MMF lasts a long time. I have a little ball of it that was leftover from a cake I did a month ago and it's still good. I pinch off a little to make decorations and always try a little taste to see if it's still good...and it is!

Not sure about Satin Ice..One thing you can do is put it in the microwave to soften it if it gets too hard. But be very careful!!! It gets very hot in the middle and can burn you!!
cakedujour 11/14/2009 8:29 AM
Wrapped well and kept in an airtight container, Satin Ice keeps a long time. It is good tasting fondant.
N8sMom96 11/14/2009 8:30 AM
I use Satin Ice. It will last a couple of months. I form the left over into a ball and rub some shortening on the outside of the ball. Put it back in the plastic bag that it comes in and squeeze the air out. I tied the bag then place back into the bucket.
farfalla 11/14/2009 8:21 PM
Any fondant will last a few months. Double bag it. If it is a little too dry, add a little water and veg shortening and kneed it well. If it gets hard dry spots on the outside or feels extra dry, throw it out.
Those really dry spots will not mix in and will make your smooth fondant surface have blotchy dry spots that will ruin your cake.

Only put it in the microwave if it is only a few days old, and a little hard. Once it get DRY, you have to add
water and veg shortening. You will never get a nice smooth surface if the fondant is too dry or hard.

Farfalla
mmumsie 11/14/2009 10:37 PM
Commercial fondants usually have a shelf life 12-18 months depending on the brand.
hpjmom 11/15/2009 2:08 PM
I don't think mmf will last as long as commercial fondants. Bunnywoman marks her fondant with the expiration date of the marshmallows as a guide. I have kept mine for a couple months & it's been good. I taste it first. I have found that sometimes my colored fondant will taste funny as it ages. So I always taste it first.
eden1103 11/15/2009 9:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. Now I know what to put on my Christmas list.