skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: buttercream not sticking to cake?
Created On Friday November 13, 2009 9:11 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Susie_Q
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 9:11 AM

I made Jeanne Gs chocolate buttercream and iced my cake using the cake icer tip (first time using this) so I didn't bother with a crumb coat. Well the icing just kept falling off the side of the cake. Even when I tried using a spatula the icing just

Report Violation

Bottom

Susie_Q
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 9:14 AM

ooops...don't know why that happened. anyway, the icing just lifted right off the cake every time i picked up the spatula. Any ideas on why this happened? Thanks for any help you can give.

Report Violation

Bottom

KTB
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 9:23 AM

I'd say your icing was probably too stiff. I find I like thinner consistency for icing the cake, not thin but thinner than a medium consistency. Does that make sense?

I love Jeanne's choc buttercream but find it way too stiff as the recipe is written so always end up adding more liquid.

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 9:32 AM

I love Jeanne's chocolate BC, but I'm with KTB on this one. I find myself adding about a tbsp or 2 more extra liquid.

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 9:34 AM

Also with the icer tip - place the jagged edge against your cake. I was nervous doing that at first and had my tip lifted a little and the icing didn't stick well. Just place it against your cake and squeeze.

Report Violation

Bottom

Susie_Q
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 10:14 AM

Thanks. I did add a little more liquid but probably not enough. Maybe just a tsp. Also didn't have the icer tip touching the cake. I'll keep this in mind for next time. Thanks again!

Report Violation

Bottom

Susie_Q
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 10:38 AM

Heres another question. Could the stiff icing also be a problem when smoothing the icing with a paper towel? I have the hardest time getting it smooth. Would thinner icing work better?

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 10:45 AM

I am not sure on that. Did you let your bc crust enough? I let mine sit about 20 minutes or so after Ice and then use the paper towels.

Report Violation

Bottom

Susie_Q
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 11:04 AM

I let it sit maybe 10 minutes. I'll use thinner icing next time and let it sit longer. See if that works better for me.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 7:55 PM

Using stiff consistency icing just plain does NOT work for icing a cake initially. It will crack or even fall off the sides of cakes. I ice my cakes with thin to medium consistency icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

houmoore4
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 10:03 PM

Susie, I've had that happen a couple of times and found exactly what everyone else has said worked beautifully. I put in a little more water and then it worked much better.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: