skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Is it ok to ice cake frozen?
Created On Thursday November 12, 2009 12:08 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

pld
Posted: Thursday November 12, 2009 12:08 PM

I have a friend who always makes her cakes ahead of time or keeps some on hand and she just decorates them straight from the freezer.

Any thoughts?

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Thursday November 12, 2009 12:47 PM

I have read that some bakers do this with no problems. I would just worry about the condensation as the cake thawed, it's stressful enough trying to make a perfect cake, I just wouldn't won't the extra worry Just my thoughts.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Thursday November 12, 2009 1:52 PM
View users profile

I never freeze any of my cakes. So, I was making a wedding cake and made the wrong flavor top layer. So, I decided to try what a lot of people do on this site was to freeze.

Not for me. I will never freeze another cake again. I left it in the wrapper as suggested until it thawed. It was still soggy and wet. I did not like that.

It's not worth it to me. I bake fresh, deliver fresh. No exceptions.

It may work for you but it does not for me.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Thursday November 12, 2009 1:59 PM

You'll get different opinions on this subject. I freeze my cakes, take them out and crumbcoat them while still frozen, let them thaw and dry. Then decorate them. I don't refreeze them after they're decorated. They turn out good and they're much easier to crumbcoat while still frozen.

Report Violation

Bottom

pennyjoshua
Posted: Thursday November 12, 2009 2:02 PM

I always ice my shaped pan cakes frozen and have never had a problem with condensation.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mikel79
Posted: Thursday November 12, 2009 2:11 PM

I do not recommend it. I have frozen ALL of my cakes in the past. 99.9% of them had issues. The issue is.......cake being to "wet". I would wrap the cakes in food wrap then in foil. I will take the cakes out of the freezer and leave cakes on counter to defrost......still wrapped. (Also tried it un-wrapped, did NOT make a difference) When unwrapped, ALL MY CAKES were ALWAYS wet with condensation. Regardless if I left the cakes to defrost, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 24 hours. does not matter. The "wetness" would cause the cake icing to have blowouts or the icing would slide off because it would be to wet.

However, as you can tell with this thread everyone has there own experiences. For some reason this works out for folks.

=)

HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Thursday November 12, 2009 2:38 PM

See, there is a difference of opinion. What works for some, doesn't for others. You have to consider, the environment where you live, is it already humid, how warm in your kitchen, etc. If you have time, do your own experiment.

Personally, I never freeze iced cakes. But, I will freeze an uniced cake for a few days before needed. I thaw the cake while I make the icing. Do all the other prep work. By the time I finish, the cake is thawed and ready to be decorated!!! Good luck with your experiment!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday November 12, 2009 4:05 PM

I never ever ice a frozen cake. It has never worked for me. Once the condensation came back out of the cake it went straight through my icing and the icing ended up in a poo of goo. It was not a pretty sight at all. I was mortified. Never again will I do it.

But since it didn't work for me doesn't mean it might not work for you. I just do not recommend doing it.

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Thursday November 12, 2009 4:23 PM
View users profile

I do freeze some of my cakes. This is my method and it has worked beautifully.

Freezing:
Place cakes layers on jelly roll pan or cookie sheet and set into freezer for about and hour or so. Then carefully double wrap in saran wrap. Then foil. I then stack the layers in the freezer until needed.

Thawing:
1. Remove from freezer
2. Fill (if using filling) and Crumbcoat
3. Place paper towel on wire rack and then place cake on paper towel
4. Allow cake to thaw completely

After cake is completely thawed and crumbcoat is nicely crusted. Ice and decorate cake as usual.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Thursday November 12, 2009 6:04 PM
View users profile

I might as well put my two cents in too. I always freeze cakes ahead of time, crumbcoat when still frozen and loosely cover them in plastic to keep in the frig for a day to thaw gradually. There's no condensation on the cake or on the wrapping and it's so much easier putting the final coat on a cold cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

Newbie 51
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 11:56 PM

SweetGrandma, I have a question What is crumb coat on a cake I keep reading about this.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Saturday November 14, 2009 7:34 AM

Newbie....
A crumbcoat is a thin layer of buttercream frosting that you put on the cake to hold the crumbs in. You'll be able to see your cake through the frosting and also see the crumbs. You let it dry completely and then apply the buttercream frosting and you won't have to worry about getting crumbs in your finished frosting.

When I say "thin" I mean put a light coating of icing. Don't thin it out with liquid. It should be the same consistency of regular buttercream..

Report Violation

Bottom

Teralyn
Posted: Saturday November 14, 2009 7:39 PM

I always freeze my cakes. I frost them frozen. Then by the time I am done with them they are thawed out.
If it is a wedding cake they go back in the freezer after they are completely done. I transport them frozen, set them up while they are frozen and let them thaw out slowly. I have never had a problem. Also transporting frozen cakes are easier. If I have to slam on my brakes for someones Cocker Spaniel the damage is easy to fix.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: