skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: refrigerating cake mix
Created On Wednesday November 11, 2009 8:36 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bethanyjeanne
Posted: Wednesday November 11, 2009 8:36 AM

I feel like I've seen this on the forum before, but I couldn't find any posts.

Has anyone ever refrigerated cake mix and used it the next day? I just made the sports ball cake yesterday, and had some cake mix leftover. I popped it in the fridge and figured I'd make cupcakes, or something. Just now I remembered that I have to still make mini-ball cakes (these will be the heads for the ladybug cakes I'm making). So, my question is, can I use the batter that was leftover from yesterday to make the mini-ball cakes today? Is it a bad idea to let cake batter sit around and then expect it to perform properly?

I just didn't know the consensus on that. Typically, I've never had leftover cake-batter since all my pans usually use the entire 2-layer mix. Can you refrigerate the cake mix?

Report Violation

Bottom

Peachygirl1
Posted: Wednesday November 11, 2009 9:12 AM
View users profile

bethanyjeanne, I have used batter that has been refrigerated and not had any problems, BUT my extra batter has never sat overnight. Hopefully some of the others with experience will be able to chime in shortly. I too am curious to see what their suggestions and tips are.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Wednesday November 11, 2009 10:01 AM
View users profile

Here is a link that will help you make a decision. I use my leftover all the time after I have had it in the fridge, but some don't. I say it's up to you.

Try it, maybe it will work for you like it does for me.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=116946

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Wednesday November 11, 2009 10:18 AM

It's not recommended to use cake batter for more than a couple of hours after mixing, because the leaveners start reacting immediately. You can give it a try, it just will not rise as high as it would right after making it.

Report Violation

Bottom

bethanyjeanne
Posted: Wednesday November 11, 2009 11:43 AM

ladycatisadiva, Oh, that's funny! The link you posted actually is from a year ago today, and I'm on it, asking the SAME question! HAHAHAHA! I guess not that much has changed in a year ;) Here I am again doing my daughter's birthday cake. Teeheehee. I may put it in the baking pan to see what happens, but I think I will probably take the advice and just whip up another cake batch.

Thanks sooo much

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Wednesday November 11, 2009 11:52 AM
View users profile

That's too funny!

Now, I don't want to see you post that question anymore, okay? ROTFLOL

Report Violation

Bottom

bethanyjeanne
Posted: Wednesday November 11, 2009 12:02 PM

(not too embarrassed LOL) teeheehee.

Report Violation

Bottom

karen
Posted: Wednesday November 11, 2009 5:02 PM

Our friend Jeanne posted on this with research she did by contacting the cake mix companies. I don't know what the original thread was. But the answer is NO, you have to use it immediately as the chemical composition of the cake mix breaks down.

Report Violation

Bottom

bethanyjeanne
Posted: Wednesday November 11, 2009 9:21 PM

Thanks everyone! I will have to become more cupcake savvy so as not to waste the batter. I know my husband will be happy since he'll be the one enjoying them ;)

Report Violation

Bottom

Riotkitty
Posted: Wednesday February 08, 2012 12:29 AM

I know I am a few years late but what did you store the batter in Lady cat??? I really need this asap :(

Report Violation

Bottom

trybaking06
Posted: Wednesday February 08, 2012 10:58 AM

I have refrigerated cake mix batter several times with no problem. I use my spoon to beat the batter slightly after I take it out of the fridge. I would not recommend doing this on scratch cakes, I have tried it before and the cake was much denser than the first cakes I baked. Hope this helps.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Wednesday February 08, 2012 12:56 PM
View users profile

I believe ladycat use freezer zip lock bags to freeze the cake batter,
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Wednesday February 08, 2012 2:59 PM

I don't remember ever seeing this old thread but I'm really surprised that the cake mix companies said not to do this. I've used leftover batter stored in the fridge for a few days many times and it was just fine.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: